1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NLCS] Cardinals @ Astros Game 5

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

[NLCS] Cardinals @ Astros Game 4

Woody Williams vs. Brandon Backe 7:35 on FOX

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

To quote the immortal Al Davis:

"Just win, baby!"

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A lot of people don't realize that its Brandon Backe starting with FULL rest. (and why should they... we haven't had 3 starts in a row out of pitchers w/ full rest, since the beggining of the playoffs).

The difference b/t game 1 Backe... who got you into the 5th inning, having only given up 2 ER on the road... and game 5 Backe, who'll be on full rest and will be pitching at HOME, is a mighty BIG difference.

Also, we still own Woody (as seen in game 1)... but he settled down last week due to the cold weather, and the ump's crazy strike zone, and he held us to 4 runs. We've put a big hurting on Woody everytime he's pitched at MMP in the last two years. That HAS to continue today.

5. MadMax

Nick -- i agree...it should be different. but oswalt said his struggles yesterday were because he never fully recovered from pitching on only 3 days rest the start before. i hope that doesn't have the same effect on backe.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually,

This is anyone's series now, the Cardinals have a great lineup and suspect pitching.

We have a great lineup and suspect pitching.

The next 2 games are up for grabs, if we win one of them, we can go with Clemens on full rest for game 7, with Oswalt in reserve.

I like our chances in that scenario.

DD

7. MadMax

you're my new favorite astros' fan, now! :)

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Hope they win. Went to the game yesterday, and WOW, I've been to a lot of important games in Houston - Game 6 and 7 versus the Knicks, playoff Oiler games (the last one vs. the Chiefs that they lost at home), but Minute Maid Park is UNBELIEVABLY loud. The WS in Houston would be awesome.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I think we have to win tonight, otherwise Clemens will pitch game 6. He may pitch it anyway. Series is too important to waste a game on Munro. One nice option is that if Clemens goes in game 7 Oswalt could come in and relieve. But like I said. Garner will probably ask Clemens to pitch game 6 regardless.

Astros 12 Cardinals 7

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Phi,

I think that would be a mistake.....I think he pitches game 6 if we lose tonight, but if we win to go up 3-2, Munro would start game 6.

None of the Cardinals pitchers scare me, if Munro pitches I give us a 50/50 chance of winning.

If Clemens pitches on short rest it is only like 65%, if he goes full rest....90%...

I think it all depends on tonight.

We win, we hold him out, we lose, he goes game 6.

At least that is what I would do.

DD

11. MadMax

me too...that's how i go, too.

12. MadMax

dude, how in the world am i gonna get work done today?

if we make the world series, i'm pretty sure that vomiting will become part of my daily routine.

i should have trained harder to get in shape for all of this.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

This game is absolutely pivotal. Game 1 and 2, pitching the advantage was clearly with the Cards. Game 3 and 4, you had to figure we'd win with a rested Oswalt and Clemens at home. Now you've got Backe on full rest versus Woody. Whoever wins game 5 wins the series.

Pujols, Edmonds, Berkman, and Bags go yard. Cardinals hold Beltran in the park, but lose. Stros 7, Cards 5.

14. shawn786

shawn786 Member

If we win this game today every1 can rest a little easier knowing we have the rocket for game 7

15. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Actually if we want to save Clemens for a game 7 we would have to win tonight. There's no way Pete Munro starts in a decisive game. I like the idea of him pitching Game 6 if we win game 5 because Then we get Clemens again on 4 days rest with Oswalt out of the pen to eat up a couple of innings to get to Lidge if needed. An even better scenario is if we take the next to behind Backe and Munro and have Clemens and Oswalt rested for games 1 and 2 of the World Series! Ok I dont want to get to ahead of myself...one game at a time. But back to my point, if we lose tonight...definitely expect Clemens and Oswalt to pitch on 3 days rest.

16. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

You can't stop Beltran. Period.

He hits two homeruns tonight.

Suck on that, Barroid Bonds.

17. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Yeah I'd have to say that the winner of this game goes on to win the series. We need a big outing from Backe so we can get to Lidge without too much damage given up by our bullpen. Would they pitch Lidge 3 games in a row? I'm sure in this situation they would, but who knows. I can imagine how loud it would be if Backe were to hit another home run, man that would be awesome.

I'd also have to agree that if we win today we start Munro in game 6, but if we lose Clemens gets the start. Hopefully we can get a "Munro quality start" (less than 1 run per inning pitched) in game 6 if we do win tonight.

Pugs

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

LMAO:D

An absolute must win period. I can't see us going back to St. Louis and taking two. Astros bats are going to have to come alive in a big way. Man was it good to see Viz and Chavez contribute. Oh yeah...start Mike Lamb!

19. Jeff Gundy

Jeff Gundy Member

If any one wants to purchase 4 tickets in section 134 at tonights last home game of this series send me an email me @ chance_kirkpatrick@yahoo.com These seats are nice I was at the game last night.

Thanks
    Chance

20. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

Tavarez has broken his hand in that little tantrum he threw last night. Do not ask me how I know because I could get in trouble but you will hear about it before the game starts tonight