1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NLCS] Cardinals @ Astros Game 4

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 17, 2004.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Am I the only one who's really enjoying this crew that Fox has doing the games? Brenly really adds a different element with his managerial experience and I've always felt Thom Brennaman was the best in the business with his unique voice. Maybe it just feels that way after being treated to ESPN's crew and then Josh Lewin.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

As a manager I think Brenly is an idiot, which I have been saying for a while. However, I also have enjoyed the crew FOX has had at the games. Much better than either of the ESPN crews that worked the Atl series.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I just want to say to RM95 - EAT IT! I posted the plan Garner should have went with in Game 1 and 2 in http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85225 and http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85222&perpage=30&pagenumber=1.

1) Bench Miceli and Harville.
    2) Have the starter go 5-6 innings.
    3) Bring Wheeler in to do the 7th and 8th
    4) And then have Lidge close the 9th.

It worked close to perfection! Wheeler (the unknown as RM95 refers to and the only one that has stepped it up in the playoffs) came through as the setup man and did his job - even though it was one inning. Then Lidge came in the 8th and 9th and shut them down. Hopefully Garner sticks w/ this.

4. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

hell yea dude, i been collection the houston chronicles sports sections like crazy man! i got the one from when they signed clemens and since like back then when they was one they 12 games winning streak. so then like years from now i will read them and stuff u feel me

5. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

#2 especially,

we saw what happened when the starters DID NOT make it out of the 5th innings in games 1 and 2, and then we saw what happened as the end result when our starters did make it out in games 3 and 4 (although game 4 wasn't a pretty 5-6 innings lol).

what we need from backe tommorow is 5 innings at least, even if he's getting hit a bit and in trouble in the 5th inning.

I don't care what garner thinks, LEAVE BACKE IN, with the state of the bullpen except for a very select few, our bullpen is not in shape to handle 4+ innings.

man.... what would a win do for the confidence of this team and this city tommorow.

good luck astros! :]

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Memo to Carlos Beltran from Drayton McClane:

Carlos, everyone in the city of Houston and the Astros organization is so thankful to have had you during this wonderful run. We know we couldn't have gone this far without you. Without further adieu, here is your check, feel free to add whatever amount you feel is sufficient to it.

I've also got a key to the city waiting for you and a town parade and anything else you want at your disposal at any time. We will also be erecting a statue of you outside Minute Maid Park for all to see.

I hope you accept. Houston and the Astros want you to be a part of their family forever.

Sincerely,

Drayton McClane, Houston Astros owner

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

do it, do it, do it now

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Beltran is UNBELIEVABLE; I have been playing and watching baseball for years. I have never seen anything like this. "Right Now" he is the best player in the game. If he can do this for a complete season, he will be the best player of all time. McLane needs to mortgage the farm to sign this guy. I know he is hot, but not just "anybody" gets this hot. Unreal.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If we win game 5, I would go with Munro in game 6, that way you have Clemens and Oswalt available for game 7, if needed.

None of the Cards pitchers can shut this team down, so we have a good chance of winning with Munro and if we do, we have Clemens and Oswalt 1,2 in the world series.

If not, we have Oswalt to start the series.

It all depends on tomorrow.

DD

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree. And even if we lose we have to consider starting Munro, who was effective his first time. Both Clemens and Oswalt were not very sharp on 3 days rest, and even in their last starts on full rest they were not very sharp. Clemens gave up only 2 earned runs but didn't get a strikeout until the 4th. Oswalt struck nobody out. Could the starts on 3 days rest be having lingering effects?

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

it would be awesome if Drayton could find some extra income to keep Beltran.

12. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

I agree with you to some extent, but I am not sure Clemens would. If we lose game 5 I am pretty sure that Clemens will demand to pitch game 6. I don't think he will let Garner sit him in favor of Munro. Plus, I think Garner would get crucified by the fans and the media if he opted for Munro over Clemens, even if it's the right thing to do to win. So, even though it may be the better decision, I doubt it will happen.

13. synergy

synergy Member

actually munro didnt have that bad of a start. if they took clemens or oswalt out as soon as they got in trouble, we wouldnt have won those two games.

munro could easily have gotten us a win that day. garner just didnt let him stay in there long enough.

i have faith in munro.

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Munro was getting tatooed out there - it wasn't like he was blowing guys away and made a bad pitch, or they were getting bloop singles off him. And it's not like he's got a history of working out of jams - he's historically had problems once he gets towards the fifth inning with hitters figuring him out.

Garner made the right move, but our bullpen - which had been good down the stretch, let him down.

It's one thing to go into game 6 with a 3-2 lead and pitch Munro - I disagree, but I can see the logic, somewhat. But to pitch Munro with a 3-2 deficit would be as bad as Jackson over Dotel.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

So do we go with Mike Lamb in Game 5? Woody's a righty, and Ensberg's had a tough time the last few games.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I think Drayton will find a way to get the extra income. Beltran needs to stay as an Astro. It's going to be interesting next year.

17. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

You know you are hot when your ace has a terrible game (ok ....lets just say bad game) and you still win. This must be very disheartening for the Cards.

Go Backe!!!

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good shot of the Beltran sand wedge HR in the Times:

[​IMG]

19. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Pure clutch from the team.

I'm impressed.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

there is zero chance that munro starts game 6 if we lose tomorrow. if we win, it's a possibility but based on what garner has done so far, he's going to go with clemens as long as roger says he can do it and you know he will.