1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NLCS] Astros @ Cardinals Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Garner did his best Dierker impression with bringing in Miceli.

I defintely know he was scared of doing the "wrong" thing, as he did last week in Atlanta when he brought in Lidge in the 7th (which, at the time, I thought was a brilliant move... Lidge just didn't execute).

Ever since then, nearly every move he's had to decide to make has gone wrong... and its all because he's thinking too much.

This is exactly what we all hated Jimy for, but all (started to) loved Phil for... and why it was such a breath of fresh air to have a manager that did things that made sense.

Taking out Munro and Backe were NOT bad moves... a little catious, but not bad.

Bringing in Miceli... that's the one you can't do. Nobody would have criticized him if we had lost w/out Lidge in extra innings... that's just the Cardinals bullpen holding our offense down then.

At least he still has a few games left to see if he's got all these bad decisions out of the way... and thus, he can no longer be wrong... frankly, he should employ the Costanza way of thinking.

But... we've still gotta chance.

2. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

Oh yeah, and our non-lidge bullpen now has 20.1 Innings Pitched under their collective belts in the playoffs, and 20 earned runs to go along with those 20.1 innings.

3. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

If I had those feelings, I certainly wouldn't feel guilty.

Shame on you for thinking that a gay person should feel guilty.

Seriously, quit digging yourself into this hole.

5. codell

Nikestrad makes a good point IMO.

Surely Garner didnt anticipate Miceli giving up two quick HRs before he could even think about getting Lidge in there. In fact, Miceli hadn't given up a HR since August.

Lidge was surely ready to come in as soon as Miceli got into some trouble as far as allowing any runners to reach.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hole?? more references, well at least you are not feeling guilty.

;)

Miceli's fastball is gone, he was at 92-94 early in the year but seems to only creep to 90 every now and again, and he is always up in the strike zone.

Garner always yanks him early...and that is one case I agree with.....

DD

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Pending on Lidge's pitch count and controll you run Brad out for the tenth as well. From there you go to Oswalt for possibly 2 innings if the team can't get it done in that time then you use Micelli, Qualls, Gallo situationally. The botton line is that Garner did not give the Astros the best chance at shutting down the Cardinals best to give our best part of the lineup a chance to give us the lead. And that "below average bullpen pitcher" is what he is, and add that to the fact that he has already blown a playoff game by giving up a homerun to Furcal. I'm going to guess that you've never even played the game of baseball on a high level.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You DO NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER...

Bring in Oswalt. Even though this could just be his "bullpen session"... there's always the chance that he could feel some effects of pitching tonight in his next start.

Once again... this wasn't a must win/game 7.... we had enough to win without Oswalt.

9. codell

Keep them coming. I am sure all the other 5th graders in here will snicker at your gay references. :)

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Just stop typing Odell.

11. codell

Yeah. I don't know why so many keep thinking that Oswalt was an option in relief.

IN fact, didnt he do that in a game back in June?? (throw his sessions in the middle of a game) I could have sworn he did.

12. codell

Surely there is a Biggio or Bagwell bashing thread out there for you to post your infinite baseball wisdom in instead of responding to a post that wasn't even addressed to you.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Disagree wholeheartedly. Oswalts on and extra day's rest and has two days before his next start. He could easily give and inning and if needed two.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey man, just trying to lighten the mood, everyone is so depressed in here and you keep bringing up yesterday's news.....

Whatever.....you apologized for calling people bandwagoners, but I find it laughable that if someone doesnt agree with you, that you call them names.

Everyone here is a fan of the Astros, no one more or less than the next.

Some people vent, some people are more positive, but why people complain about other posters is beyond me....THAT is the childish thing to me.

Let everyone have their say...and read it, you might learn some new strategies, or actually learn how the game is played correctly.

:)

DD

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

After having a little while for it to set in.. I've come to the conclusion that it isnt too horrible..

if we can get roger and roy pitching late into the game the next two games we may be okay.

16. codell

DaDa,

You calling someone else's post "childish" is the best example of the pot calling the kettle black (i.e. your rants).

Childish is insulting someone with gay inuendos.

As far as learning how to play the game correctly ............I bow down and concede that you are on a hill of sports knowledge, which no one from this board, or professional sports, can possibly climb up to meet you. Feel better about yourself??

17. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

He did that, and got the win too. The reason being, he was ejected from his previous start early in the game, if I remember right, so he was good to go for a few innings in that game.

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Bottom line is that we all knew our bullpen stinks going into the playoffs. And now, it's cost us two games. Last year we had the luxury of Dotel and Lidge setting up Wagner. This year we have nothing.

19. codell

I remember that (after the Atlanta series), but that wasn't the game I was thiking of. This was in June and I was thinking it was the Cub or Anaheim series.

It was either him or another starter that did it though, but they never came in.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes... it was the Phillies game after the Cubs game (which was the last regular season game we lost at home... freaking amazing).

The only reason he pitched that game was because he had thrown 33 pitches in the Cubs game... had this been a similiar situation, of course you bring him in.

but it wasn't... and Roy needs all the rest in the world to avoid having to come out early and us havin to goto the bullpen again (even though I haven't lost as much faith in them as everybody else here has... they're just failing against damn good hitters).