1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nice article on the classiest backcourt combo in the NBA.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DignityBear, Oct 5, 1999.

1. DignityBear

DignityBear New Member

John Stockton and Jeff Hornacek will return to take another shot at winning an NBA title, eager to give the Utah Jazz as much time as their aging bodies allow.

The Jazz on Thursday announced that Stockton, 37, signed a two-year contract and Hornacek, 36, agreed to a one-year deal.

It remains to be seen whether the oldest backcourt in the NBA can lead Utah back to the NBA Finals, in which Utah lost in 1997 and 1998. Both players made it clear they're coming back to pursue the title.

"You go for it. You're always trying to win a championship," Hornacek said when asked if this season marks his last chance.

Terms weren't disclosed for either contract. Published reports say Stockton, the NBA's career leader in assists and steals, will be paid $22 million while Hornacek's deal is worth $5.2 million.

Jazz owner Larry Miller said during a news conference that he negotiated directly with the players, as he has done for years. Stockton said he was never concerned he wouldn't get a good deal.

"There was a lot of faith in each other," Stockton said. "I really had a restful summer even though I was unemployed the whole time."

Last month, forward Karl Malone signed a four-year, $66.5 million contract. With Stockton and Hornacek back, Utah is committed to the trio that took the team to the finals.

Malone turned 36 in July. Although the clock has been ticking on the Jazz for years, it's clear from the length of the Stockton and Hornacek contracts the stroke of midnight can't be too far away.

"We all realize this is coming to an end," Stockton said.

Miller said just as he rooted for John Elway to win the Super Bowl, he's hopeful that Malone, Stockton and Hornacek can win the NBA title before they retire.

"They're all important to the Jazz, to be sure, but also for what they mean to the game, these guys deserve to win a championship," Miller said.

Miller's comments are telling. When a combo like Stockton and Hornacek gets down to it, they are unstoppable. Especially when you place them in the context of players who have never won titles-- like Barkley-- their class makes them difficult to root against.

------------------
    Utah Jazz, 1998 NBA Champions (if the refs had the guts to call Jordan for pushing off, that bald hack).

2. Lord Tree

Lord Tree Member

There's a little thing called appearance vs. reality. At least Barkley doesn't claim to be something he's not...

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Find the door.

Insert one foot.

Let it pull your body through.

Follow with the second foot.

Don't stop until you hit SLC.

No love for Jazzholes in this house.

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

So Diggitybear, what's the REAL opinion from the man on the street in SLC about the Jazz this year? If you guys are to be believed in that losing the guys you did is no big deal, then you have very close to the same team that you had last year. Other than bad officiating, what obstacles do you think your team needs to overcome this year to WIN THE BIG ONE?

5. DignityBear

DignityBear New Member

Well, there are several keys:

1) We need to stay healthy. Although, unlike the Rockets, this is never a problem for the Jazz. It is hard to say why Utah's stars are able to play 80-82 regular season games a year while Houston's best players always seem to have some sort of injury that prevents them from playing.

2) We need to hope that none of the Western teams that made big moves in the off-season improved by much. It isn't that we couldn't handle them, but it's always easier when there aren't many good teams in your way. The 1994 Rockets can relate I'm sure!

3) We need to hope that the referees are vigilant in enforcing the new rules. If they are, the pick-and-roll will be almost completely unstoppable.

If fate is on our side, I think this Jazz team stands a good chance of winning 70-74 games in the regular season and then carrying the West in the playoffs.

------------------
    Utah Jazz, 1998 NBA Champions (if the refs had the guts to call Jordan for pushing off, that bald hack).

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Yah, that's true, there wasn't much competition for the '94 Rockets--at least not in the West. We have been plagued with injuries, however. Injuries are often a problem with conditioning, but sometimes they are just caused by bad luck--still, despite all our injuries, we have found a way to win a few WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. I like your blind optimism though. You mentioned that you got more experienced, while we just got old. Ironically, that's exactly the way I saw it--except the shoes were on the other feet. Only time will tell, though. I guess I'm optimistic myself because I really think there will quickly come a time for me to say, "I told ya so," and I hope you'll still be around to hear it.

7. drexler85

drexler85 Member

DignityBear, Stockton and the word class do not match. You should have said the dirtiest backcourt in the league because Hornacek is dirty too. Your complaining about that Jordan push off when the jazz received every call in the west playoofs in 97 and 98. The Rockets were robbed vs. the Jazz in 97 and 98 because the refs forgot how to do their jobs. Your team is joke and has always been a joke. Malone is a cheap shot artist and dirty. player.