1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL will fine players and personnel who don't stand for national anthem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, May 23, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the point is that the NFL is catering to their fans, not people like you. The NFL players embarrassing themselves with the anthem nonsense was hurting the league so they did something about it. I'm sure there's some SJW types that won't like it, but there aren't enough of them to matter, the goal was making NFL fans happy and it was clear that they weren't happy with what the NFL players were doing.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I’d wager that most of the people who were offended didn’t even realize they were offended until people told them to be offended.

Also, why isn’t there a lot of talk about the $89,000,000 commitment the NFL made to help folks and charities that the players were protesting on behalf of?

The most unfortunate part of the protests was that they took away from what the players were protesting against.

Amiga and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NFL made a completely PC move and the anti-PC crowd loves it. It is so strange to see the people who hate political correctness when a minority complains of racism turn around and applaud political correctness when the NFL owners don't want to offend anyone.

1. It would have been better had the owners consulted with the Player's union before doing this. The Unilateral action by them is a poor strategy.

2. The owners have a right to try and please their fan base. This was something done in the wrong way. The players also have a right to want to be able to express themselves.

No Worries, Amiga and bobrek like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I'd bet that most people who were pissed off about the kneeling BS were pissed off about it because they don't like watching millionaires disrespect the country that made them 1%ers to play a game and they don't appreciate them bring that kind of nonsense into a football game. There are appropriate ways to complain about a black police officer rightfully shooting a black criminal who was armed with a stolen gun, they way they chose to do so was inappropriate and they were wrong for it.

I don't think anyone would have cared if they had chosen to do something on their own time that wasn't intentionally disrespectful to the country.....but they were worried that no one would pay attention to them if they went that route.

pgabriel likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Funny thing... by the end of last season the number of protests and attention to the protest had dwindled to the point that it really wasn't an issue. Now the NFL throws gas and a match on top. Curious how many teams stay in the locker room, and how many players stand, but face away.

superfob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not really true though, while there were fewer and fewer players disrespecting the country during the anthem, the problem was getting worse and worse as more people stopped watching their product as a result of the league not taking action against the players. Perhaps the league's actions will cause a brief resurgence in players being disrespectful assholes during the anthem, but so long as the league is fining them for it, I think that'll satisfy their fanbase....which is the whole point.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because they are every bit the snowflakes that they claim liberals to be. They just get offended and bothered by different things.

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

bigtexxx is in peak physical condition. Very low body fat percentage. Workout 4 times per week. I can offer you advice on how to live a life of excellence - send me a pm and I can coach you up.

10. bobrek

Unless one is physically present at an NFL game, they don’t even see the protest unless it is a special game. Super Bowl, Thanksgiving Day. They have to be shown it on their news station of choice or read about it or have someone tell them how to feel.

Also, many of these offended people need simply to look in a mirror to see another who is not properly respecting the flag or anthem whenever they hear the anthem. I suspect 99% of us on this board do not stand or show proper respect every time we hear the anthem.

How do any of the protesters affect any of us in any way? Doesn’t change my life. Doesn’t impact me one iota. They aren’t causing physical damage. They aren’t blocking streets.

How exactly is kneeling during the anthem SO INAPPROPRIATE (emphasis mine, words yours)?

Nice cherry picking an example by the way.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get what narrative you are pushing here, but when people see a millionaire NFL player intentionally disrespecting the country during the anthem at a game, no one has to tell them how to feel about it. Once people see that kind of thing and hear that player admit that the reason he's doing it is to show disrespect to the country the flag represents, they start looking for things like that. As such, the league had to do something about it. It wasn't a problem in any other sport because those leagues started out with rules against being a disrespectful little b*stard during the anthem and the NFL didn't.

That's not cherry picking, that was the initial cause for the kneeling BS. They've since tried to spin it in a dozen different directions due to the negative feedback they received, but I think it's important to remember the original intentions and the original causes of this stuff.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Interesting to note... its against the law for trump to influence a private employer to fire an employee, or even influence an employment practice

13. bobrek

Why does this trigger you so much? ‘Disrespectful little b*stard’. Seriously, why do you get so ramped up?

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You said “seriously” so I think this is a serious question, but can you really be serious that you don’t know?

bobrek likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with a private institution decision to suppress certain expression. It's within their rights.

There is something wrong with a public figure, not just any public figure, the one that is on the very top who swear to uphold the constitution, pushing against freedom of expression. It's against what the constitution stands for.

jo mama likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you misunderstand, I'm not "triggered" by it, honestly I think the whole thing is pathetic. When I say "disrespectful little b*stard", the only part of that which isn't a completely factual description of everyone's favorite kneeler is the "little" part. His actions are intentionally disrespectful and he literally is a b*stard. So really my words were nothing but an accurate portrayal of what was happening and who was doing it. Furthermore I was giving the actual reasons why they were doing it.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

19. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

If the owners truly believe this, then they should NEVER play commericals during the anthem, stop taking payment from the govt for the anthem, close all concessions, all cameramen and photographers should be standing, etc.

Surely they wouldn't mind the hit in the pocketbook right? If so, I have no problem with this at all.

20. bobrek

Yep. Lots of hypocrisy on this issue.