1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL will fine players and personnel who don't stand for national anthem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, May 23, 2018.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's actually a HILAROUS question. In all Marine Corps bases, "colors" are played right at evening to lower the flag on base. They are played through intercoms throughout the base. When they play, anyone outside by regulation standards need to stand at attention holding a salute until it finishes which is about a minute.

It's a common practice by the vast majority of Marines I know, if they see a door in sight, instead of standing for the colors, they dash to the nearest door. It's so universal in the Marine Corps I can point to a comic strip from a Marine's experience who was stationed on the other side of the country from me:[​IMG]

Nook, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That is subjective. You are the one choosing to be offended by this. Remember that.

I'm not a mindreader, so I can't claim to truly know why anyone kneels or what they intend by it. If I listen to Kaepernick himself, he says it is meant to be symbolic of the shame and sorrow he feels for what he views as state supported (or at least indifference towards) mistreatment of blacks. OK. I don't really agree with his thesis, but fair enough. It's a choice if you want to believe that he is crapping on the country and its values and those who sacrificed for it.

Once again, subjective opinion. You are choosing to feel this way and painting actions how you want to view them.

If we want to get into more subjectivity and interpretation games, you know that kneeling is a sign of deference, correct?

I think it is easier to see kneeling during the pledge as a sign of extreme subjugation.

Perhaps that's what it's meant to symbolize. The fact that many blacks in this country don't really feel like they're on equal footing in the eyes of the law with their non-black peers.

Seems like he wants to, oh, I dunno, Make America Great...?

Of course to understand a complex problem you have to stop for a few seconds and actually think instead of just kneejerk virtue signaling about patriotism and conformity.

[​IMG]

I'm not really on "team kneel" here, but throwing a hissy fit because someone isn't as proud of their country as you are...? That's next level snowflakery.

eric.81 and NewRoxFan like this.
  3. Granville

Granville Member

Honest question. So your position Is that the National Anthem is fake patriotism and anyone viewing it as respect shown toward the country is a fool?
    If you want to suspend logic and believe that these NFL players didn’t know for sure they’d be offending people taking that action during the anthem keep being a gullible fool. There’s no attempt to bring about change just more opinion bullying.

The players keep standing behind lies about the police as a foundation for a poorly managed cause. Of course the liberal herd won’t bother to offer sound advice like
    most effective messaging platforms, follow the rules of engagement with law enforcement and fully evaluate incidents before reacting foolishly to the misguided for risk of losing their and others blinders on votes.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you offended by all of the cameramen who are shooting video of kneeling players rather than honoring the flag and anthem?

Do you stand at attention with your hand over your heart when the anthem is played while you are watching an event on TV? For example, during Olympic medal ceremonies.

Nook likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

Yes, idolizing a song to the point that you think it's "offensive" to kneel during said song is fake patriotism. It's jingoism.

Also any vet who thinks their protest is an "attack on them" are egocentric.

Is it a coincidence that the vast majority of individuals who are "offended" bu the knelling also don't agree with the actual cause which is that our law enforcement in many areas of the country need reform?

That makes their whole "offended" shtick even more disgusting because they are disingenuously hiding behind "the troops" and patriotism to dismiss a cause they already disagree with.

Nook likes this.
  6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

honest question - are you comparing football players to the military?

another honest question - why would you take your cue on what is or isnt patriotic from someone who said that POWs are not heroic b/c they were captured and also insulted a gold star family?

Nook likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

Because his "offense" is tied down by partisan lines.

8. Granville

Granville Member

What a dumb take. It’s exactly what the PA announcer says it is an opportunity to honor America and yes also to honor the sacrifice of those who pave the way for freedom

It was never intended that be a platform for employees to air grievances in front of paying customers. I would love to see assault rifles banned but I’m not about to participate in public demonstration at work because I’d be rightfully fired

jcf likes this.
  9. Granville

Granville Member

If said cameramen were not involved in event operations that required their attention to be on their job and kneeled to support a disorganized often horseshit cause, yeah I would.

10. fchowd0311

Does your work force you to stand for a tax payer funded DOD pre game extravaganza ritual?

What platform was designed for protest intentions in the first place?

The point of a protest is to disrupt to force people to take notice of a uncomfortable situation.

And no one is complaining about the NFL having the right to fire or fine players as a private corporation just like Facebook or Google has a right to ban anyone off their platform. It is well within their right.

The argument is that the "offense" is disengenous and that the head of the executive branch shouldn't use his bully pulpit to tell businesses whom to fire.

Is it a coincidence to you that the vast majority of people who are "offended" also believe that the cause isn't worthwhile?

These same people would say that the protestors protesting outside of work are "lazy" or "blocking the roads". There is no "good place" to protest because they just flat out disagree with premise and hide behind "MA TROOPS!" in a disengenous manner. It's disgusting.

#450 fchowd0311, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Nook likes this.
  11. Granville

Granville Member

If I were at a work event and there was something done to honor America, a customer, or a fellow employee and they asked the crowd to stand up and clap then I kneeled, yeah I’d get reprimanded.

One platform would be peaceful orderly marches behind a well organized cause not afraid to publicly detach itself from ignorance like hands up don’t shoot.

I don’t care what Trump says. It has no bearing on what I think. I think he needs to stop petty twitter fighting and do his job.

Whether they believe it’s a legitimate cause as its being currently messaged doesn’t give the players a pass for a disrespectful act.

If you gave a damn about the cause you’d join those asking for an appropriate venue. You’re knee deep in condoning the victim mentality in exchange for votes. It’s pretty evident. Same can be said for Republicans and the reluctance to do anything to about gun legislation aimed at preventing mass slaughter.

jcf likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

"It's a disrespectful act". Who the hell is the arbiter of "disrespectful"?

You?

The same people who say it's disrespectful also state it's disrespectful to pose criticsm at law enforcement behind the guise of "they sacrifice their lives for our protection". The goal post will move constantly as long as people disagree with the actual premise of the protest and will hide behind "the troops" to not be so outwardly obvious. These same people take **** breaks or run to the fridge to fill up their blue cheese dressing for their 20 wing party pack during pregame rituals. They magically started caring about the pregame anthem when a black man wanted to point to a concerning issue of his that he holds dearly.

It's the people like CML who probably never cared for the pregame rituals beforehand and now are "boycotting" watching the game over the part of a broadcast they never watched before.

I know some of my fellow peer Marines that are just like CML. They say how "disrespectful" it is when they are willing to run indoors when Colors on base are starting to be played so they can avoid standing at attention holding a salute.

#452 fchowd0311, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Nook likes this.
  13. bobrek

You didn't respond to my question about honoring the flag and anthem when it's on TV, so I can only assume you are among the 99% or so who talk, drink, eat, ignore, etc. the anthem in that situation. Are you disgusted with yourself for not respecting the anthem and flag?

Nook likes this.
  14. mick fry

mick fry Member

So respecting the flag and all of those who died for it means nothing to you as well bobrek? I can’t grasp all the anti American sentiment that has run rampant in the media and all those that blindly follow their lead. Just a sad state of affairs.

cml750 and Granville like this.
  15. Granville

Granville Member

If there were a time honored tradition of doing that in the confines of my home like there is at a game in unison in a public setting to honor America I would. I’m certainly not harboring Ill will or doing anything to disrespect this great country. Images of crowds honoring this country bring a sense of pride to be part of this great nation.

#455 Granville, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    cml750 and mick fry like this.
  16. Granville

Granville Member

You certainly are to biased to be the arbiter, that’s for certain.

We will have to stick with a decent society holding that view.

There are people who say it’s disrespectful to falsely blame the police of criminal misconduct when the were proven justified where they were forced by the actions of criminals to take lethal action.

cml750 likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

We have a President under investigation for serious potential crimes... we have a proxy war with Russia and China and a lot of foreign and domestic issues.... I don’t think at this point most Americans really give a **** if a bunch of football players stand or kneel for the national anthem before a football game.

London'sBurning and B-Bob like this.
  18. bobrek

A handful of players who choose to protest by kneeling during the anthem doesn’t affect me in any way whatsoever. Shoot, at every single sporting event I have attended there are hundreds of people, talking, drinking, eating, walking, etc. during the anthem.

As I have said, I am secure enough in my own patriotism to not let anyone else’s perspective affect me. I stand at attention with either my hand or hat over my heart. What someone else does is their own business and doesn’t affect my life in any way, shape or form.

19. TheresTheDagger

Stay out of it across110thstreet.

This is fun!

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The answer here is for Disney (ESPN), Fox, cbs, whoever to decide not to give airtime to the national anthem. The NBA games do not televise the anthem. There’s no reason they are doing so other than they know it’s scandelous to the right so they will hate watch the hell out of it.

Nobody is honoring the anthem from their living room while getting their nachos ready, taking a piss, and pouring their beer before the game. There’s no reason to keep televising it other than the fact that half of Americans that say they hate it, actually love hate watching it.

Just think about “water cooler sports arguments” you’ve had over your lifetime. If there is one major theme I can recall from people it’s almost always something to do with spoiled rich athletes(who happen to be black). The kneeling thing is just another continuation of America’s obsession with sports culture and the black athletes who we can’t stop having hot take opinions about.

Granville likes this.