1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL will fine players and personnel who don't stand for national anthem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, May 23, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Some may be offended. Others aren't. It wasn't a big deal until trump decided to politicize it. And I am sure a number of players are already involved in their communities and finding raising awareness.

2. NewRoxFan

That's your choice. Its a free country. That's sorta the point...

btw, I suspect you will be sitting in front of the TV anyway.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Every indivudual "offended" by these protests are fake patriots and shitstains of our nation .

4. cml750

cml750 Member

I boycotted the last 6 games last season and survived just fine. I was waiting to see how all of this went to start the season to decide whether I continue my boycott. Watching or not watching NFL games is my choice that I make 100% on my own. Watching games is not a condition of my employment. The NFL can require the players to stand or be fined / suspended. The players work for the NFL and by doing so submit to the rules of the league. Requiring them to stand is no different than requiring them to meet uniform requirements. The league has every right to require them to stand to respect the flag and the players have every right to quit if they do not agree. The players have the right to protest in any way they see fit outside of the rules of the league.

5. NewRoxFan

Bet the British said something very similar when those American rabblerousers started tossing crates of tea into the bay...

6. cml750

cml750 Member

If you think the Constitution grants the right to do whatever you want at anytime including when you are employed by someone else, why not put it to the test. Why not quit following your companies rules and requirements and see how long you are employed.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Honest question

Why does a handful of players kneeling in protest during the anthem affect your life so much that you quit watching football?

Second question...

When you are at home and the National Anthem comes on, do you stop what you’re doing, stand up and reverently hold your hand over your heart for the duration?

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been following him around with a boombox blaring the national anthem. He is frozen in respect and unable to post.

eric.81 and bobrek like this.
  9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. NewRoxFan

Silly comparison, as are most comparisons between athletes (and entertainers) compared to most other workers. I don't think a player kneeling during the National Anthem has any effect on the football players work output. Further more, such rules, if such rules actually exist (seems to me these "rules" have been constantly changing) seem excessive and should be challenged by the players and Players Association.

But sure, I just took a knee during the company all-hands marketing conference call. Don't think anyone cared.

11. Granville

Granville Member

As I accurately stated doing the opposite of what is asked to show respect to this country is intentional disrespect. There’s no argument to be had there. Sure you have a right to not be offended but others certainly have a right to find it offensive and boycott businesses that allow employees to offend their customers.

What’s also lacking in this cause is the ability to objectively view each incident on it’s merit versus crying wolf many times. The reason is if you remove the false allegations there isn’t much left to promote change.

Lying about intent of a prominent protest venue and feverishly standing behind false allegations are part of what doom this cause.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You cannot celebrate this . . . but b**** about Alex Jones

but
    Those folx don't care about being hypocrits. . .it is all about winning and their side.
    Being right is irrelevent .. . only being effective matters
    and keeping others from having the freedoms, rights and privileges they themselves enjoy

ie. Scream about Alex Jones' Free Speech while simultaneously attempting to silence Football players Freedom of speech.

Rocket River

13. cml750

cml750 Member

It is in no way a silly comparison. You do realize that football players are in fact employees of the NFL don't you? They are required to follow the rules. If the NFL dictates there are repercussions to kneeling then players who do so face those repercussions. You kneeling at work is not the same thing unless your company has a rule against it. Try smoking in a non-designated area, not following the dress code see what happens, or if you are in marketing cuss out a customer using your "free speech".

14. cml750

cml750 Member

Honest question

Why do you care about me me being offended by the players actions?

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honest question. Why do you care about players kneeling during an anthem?

I'm pretty sure he's asking that specefic question to check your logical consistency if you are really that much of a dunce to understand the premise behind the question.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

Honest question

What would happen if you were to kneel when you were supposed to stand when you were in the military?

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Honest question

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Rashmon likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

The fact you can't apply the same rule violation "kneeling" in my work situation shows you either the work environments are in no way similar and/or that the rule itself is silly and should not be a rule. Probably why the teams are struggling to come up with a "rule" that doesn't make them look ridiculous.

btw, comparing "smoking in a non-smoking area" rule (health issue) with a player taking a knee on the field? Seriously? Do you see how ridiculous your argument is getting?

19. NewRoxFan

What? Now a comparison between military personnel and football players? Can you guys come up with sillier arguments?

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It is just so odd to me that folks get so upset because a handful of players choose to kneel during the anthem. I am secure enough in my own patriotism that it doesn’t phase me one bit.

Also, I assume by your ignoring my second question that you don’t stand up during the anthem when you are watching an event on TV and it comes on.

NewRoxFan and fchowd0311 like this.