1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Pro-Bowl Rosters

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Major, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Major

Major Member

Torry Holt: 73 receptions, 1266 yards, 7TDs
    Isaac Bruce: 63 receptions, 1101 yards, 6TDs

Which one should be the pro-bowl player? Which is the pro-bowl player? Why?

2. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Troy Brown has my vote over Tim Brown.

Troy

95 rec, 1154 yards, and 5 touchdowns

Tim

85 rec, 1108 yards, and 9 touchdowns

Granted Troy has fewer touchdowns than Tim, but Troy was crucial to the Pats playoff run and practically carried their receiving game.

3. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

id take Torry holt

but Jimmy Smith and harrison #1 and #2 for AFC
    Troy Brown?? pfttt

=)

4. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

and id take Tim Over Troy also

5. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I would take Bruce.

Holt has had the better year but Bruce is a better receiver to me. It would be nice to have both of them on your team with a little Az-Hakim and Ricky Proehl thrown in... :)

I think the real shame is that the Bears only had ONE player on defense for the pro bowl.

DE Hugh Douglas Philadelphia
    DE Robert Porcher Detroit
    DE Michael Strahan New York Giants
    DT La'Roi Glover New Orleans
    DT Warren Sapp Tampa Bay
    DT Bryant Young San Francisco
    OLB Jessie Armstead New York Giants
    OLB LaVar Arrington Washington
    OLB Derrick Brooks Tampa Bay
    ILB Jeremiah Trotter Philadelphia
    ILB Brian Urlacher Chicago

CB Ronde Barber Tampa Bay
    CB Troy Vincent Philadelphia
    CB Aeneas Williams St. Louis
    SS Sammy Knight New Orleans
    SS John Lynch Tampa Bay
    FS Brian Dawkins Philadelphia

I guess this is the no name defense part two. The Bears are the only NFC team to have at least one player on all three squads though.

Three Huge Snubs:

92 Ted Washington DT 33 6-5 355 10 Louisville

Ted has had a better season than La'Roi Glover

94 Keith Traylor DT 32 6-2 320 10 Central Oklahoma

Responsible for the 2nd best run defense in the NFL (best in NFC)

They clog up the middle.

30 Mike Brown S 23 5-10 202 1 Nebraska

Won Two freaking games by himself ( 5 pics this year )

Honorable mentions for the Pro Bowl

59 Rosevelt Colvin LB 24 6-3 240 2 Purdue 9.5 sacks

I don't know that Arrington or Armstead had better years...

53 Warrick Holdman LB 26 6-1 235 2 Texas A&M

21 R.W. McQuarters CB 25 5-9 196 3 Oklahoma State

They have contributed heavily to the Best D in the NFL (#1 in pts allowed - less than 13 a game)

86 Marty Booker WR 5' 11" 208 7/31/1976 in Jonesboro,LA

Broke single season reception mark for Bears.

At least they got Urlacher on there. Kinda strange to me that the teams with the most players in the pro bowl (Baltimore and Tampa) are going to barely make the playoffs. Pro Bowl is based on individual performances not the team, I guess... I would rather have my team dominate the Super Bowl than the Pro Bowl. :D Which will happen this year!

GO BEARS!!!

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Utter, utter bullsh*t Garrison Heart is in over Ricky Williams!!! Feel good story or not, that is just wrong.

Holt probably should have go the nod over Bruce.

Woodson is better than Lynch (doesn't hit as hard, but just as good a tackler and better in coverage)

Arrington didn't even get a sack as a rush linebacker, he has no business in Hawaii.

You can tell WinCat is a Cheesehead can't you;)

7. Desert Scar

and Moss or Horn should have got the nod over either.

I still can't believe Hearst is in and Williams is not. Williams rushed for close to 100 more yards pls 200 or so more in receiving while playing in a less potent offense/system. I reiterate, that is BULLSH*T.

8. Sonny

I take offense to that!!! :mad:

Cheeseheads blow! GO BEARS!!! :D

9. Hydra

Hydra Member

I was just happy that in addition to my Bucs sending 6 to the pro bowl, Randy "I play when I want to" Moss did not get a ticket to Hawaii. Go Bucs.

10. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

This is the problem when you let fans vote. It shouldn't matter if you think a guys better than another, if Holt had a better year then he is the pro-bowler. Otherwise you could pick the pro-bowl before the season.

C'mon man, guy has two plays on espn and you want him in the pro-bowl?

If anyone needs to replace Dawkins its Kwamie Lassiter from Arizona. Compare the numbers and you'll see.
    Int Tackles
    Lassiter 9 78
    Brown 5 52

hmmmm......no further comment required

tackles sacks
    Glover 34 8
    Washington 25 1.5

Better season???:rolleyes:

I assume since you compared Washington to Glover that you must think Traylor should replace either Young or Sapp.

tackles sacks
    Young 31 3.5
    Sapp 28 6
    Traylor 25 1.5

I'll let you tell us who he should replace.

You guys have one pro-bowler because you have one star. You play GREAT team defense but in no way have you been "snubbed"

Couldn't agree more.

11. Sonny

Well, Lets see... two plays, you are right. But when did those two plays occur? Oh yeah, it was overtime, that means the game is over. WIN. Without those plays the Bears are 10-6 this season and probably lose 1 or 2 more without that momentum.

I like Lassiter's numbers, but did he do as much for his team? Brown has more Sacks and more yards on his interception returns. Plus he has two TD's from his pics. He also has one more forced fumble. He won two games by himself. It is arguable, but the decision has been made so it doesn't really matter...

Defensive Statistics Tackles Miscellaneous Interceptions
    NAME TOT SOLO AST SACK SF FF BK INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD

Kwamie Lassiter 102 80 22 1.0 0 1 0 9 80 8.0 25 0 15
    Mike Brown 59 50 9 3.0 0 2 0 5 81 16.0 33 2 11

I will give you Traylor and Washington. They are having a great season but not as great as Glover. Bryant Young isn't having a superstar season though, Sapp is way off also. The numbers are close (Traylor/Washington/Young), guess it just wasn't their year. I think Washington should make it in, I am not the only one.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1304553.html

Well at least you got one thing right. :D

Don't forget Rosevelt Colvin.

Oh, does it seem like I am a little biased towards the Bears?

GO BEARS!!!

#11 Sonny, Jan 3, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2002
  12. TexasG

TexasG Member

Woodson was robbed! Statistically he had a better season than Lynch. Plus he's the leader of the #3 defense in the NFL.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm just glad Priest Holmes made it. I had a feeling as I watched him play so great all season that he would get snubbed in the end since he's not on a playoff team, but it looks like somebody recognized him. He is leading the AFC in rushing, so there is no reason why he shouldn't start either.

14. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress were snubbed as well. especially Plaxico whos become a very good WR, and has a damn cool name.

15. Desert Scar

But isn't he the DUMB ASS who spiked the ball on the five yard line. Some plays you will never live down.

Down with the Steelers, this years AFC central winning pretenders (along with Jville and the Tit-tans).

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Forget Holt or Bruce and give it to Randy Moss , The guy put up #'s . Tim Brown deserves to Be In The Pro Bowl because he had a 1000 yard WR beside him . What Did Troy do that Tim Didnt? Return a Punt for a TD? NO , Timmy did that as well . I like Troy but You got to respect the old guys. Ward and Burress both only had 1003 and 1008 yards seasons, They are a good pair but Arent All Stars yet . I would love to See Plaxico come an all-star though, I have his SP Authentic Rookie Card currently valued at $60 if he becomes a super star that thing could climb by the hundreds.

#16 moestavern19, Jan 8, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2002
  17. junglerules

junglerules Member

A couple of points.....

First of all, if any running back in the NFC got hosed, it was Stephen Davis. Check out his numbers, especially down the stretch, vs. someone like Ricky. I love ricky williams, but his team folded like a circus tent down the stretch, and Stephen Davis was the man. Too bad that redskins offense was HORRIBLE inside the red zone.

I agree that Lassiter had a great year. He is a tremendous player, but i think lots of his numbers come from playing on a defense that spent a good part of the year on the field. At least the first half of the season.

Finally, I take Holt over Bruce anyday now. Bruce has the experience, but it is clear that the torch is being passed in the STL. Holt even had better numbers, but i guess Isaac "jesus is the answer" bruce is still a bigger hit with fans. If you haven't read the book/ column by rick reilly about isaac bruce and derrick thomas, you are missing a simply INSANELY interesting read....

Overall, Pro Bowl is a joke. Someone said it best on the radio the other day- never has there been a more hyped sport about making an all-star game, while the game itself is less than worthless.