1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[NFL] Kickoff Rule Change?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Anticope, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Anticope

Anticope Member

http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/06/roger-...play-possible-rule-changes/?xid=si_topstories

Personally, I do not like this idea at all and it is a radical change IMO. Let's hope all this amounts to is talk.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Can we please institute college overtime first?

I'd rather see the kickoff handled like a traditional safety punt.

Players not allowed to get a running start, and the kicker can't have a placeholder.

Shortens the length of the kick and gives the players less time to get up to full-speed.

Less violent collisions, and far more exciting returns/run-backs.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lol, wtf is that about?? So basically, if the team can convert the 4th and 15 from the 30, they continue with the ball? So it's like "Make it Take it"? Or am I misinterpreting the rule? Seriously, let's focus on some of the more ridiculous rules out there right now instead of constantly messing with the entire fabric of the sport.

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

So Greg Schiano wants this to happen for players safety sake, but twice this year has told his players to dive at a QB kneeling in the victory formation. He can take his rule change and shove it.

In the words of Schiano, "I don't have any remorse or regret. It's clean, hard football."

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Vomit. If ain't broke, don't fix it.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Stupid rule change, what an idiot.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It would make games more exciting. If you are down by 14 with 60 seconds left you still have a chance to win the game.

8. sammy

There's no way in hell this gets passed.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You sure Dylan Gwinn didn't come up with that rule?

1 person likes this.
  10. 713

713 Member

lets get rid of kicking period and call it handegg!

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Too bad the players are breaking their brains.

12. sammy

This year? I haven't heard of too many concussions on kick-offs. A lot of QB's have gotten hurt though. Maybe we should eliminate pass rushes or QB scrambles :p

I would much rather just give the opposing team the ball at the 20 over this nonsense.

13. Anticope

Anticope Member

I thought that at first too, but it would completely eliminate any chance for a team to get the ball back right after scoring.

14. sammy

Right. Didn't think about that!

A team like NE could come back and win too easily or go for the jugular even early in the game.

15. Anticope

Anticope Member

I believe the thinking here is that teams would punt pretty much all the time on this "4th and 15," so not much would change besides the fact that the ball would be punted instead of kicked off. I'd be interested to see the stats on the likelihood of 4th and 15 conversions vs onside kick conversions.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

God no. Please, please God no.

The NFL actually has a perfect system in my mind.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's a small sample, but I found the results interesting.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...me-rule-or-college-ot-rule-which-is-best.html

Even if you lump options 1 and 2 together, and count 4 and 5 as "undecided" (although I'd argue they'd lean towards option 3, as the you-go-then-I-go back and forth system is similar), College football overtime wins handily in popularity.

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It is much easier to convert 15 yards than recover onside kick.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That isn't a relevant poll. It's on the internet as part of a column asking which is better. It will naturally be a skewed sample. Most people reading the article are going to be biased against the current system which is why they are reading it.

Oh, and your numbers in your quote are wrong. Why? Because I just voted 3 times by closing firefox and voting again.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I seriously did not expect such a dead serious effort to discredit a poll that I found after a 5 second google search over silly, subjective a topic like this. I'm kind of lolling over here. You guys kill me sometimes.