1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL hiring policy is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by NJRocket, Dec 30, 2002.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Ummm...no...it would mean that the coaches in place were, in the interviewers opinion, the best person for the respective jobs.

I suppose BET should start playing "I Love Lucy", "Cheers" and "Seinfeld" to keep all of the white and hispanic people happy. I can only imagine if there was a WET channel:rolleyes:

2. Timing

Timing Member

That was nice man, is that from the Turner Diaries? Uh, yeah.

Keep them happy or give them equity? Fairness? A difference? Maybe? Thanks for doing your part to keep us happy, I know I appreciate it!

Damn, talk about condescending. Why do they try so hard to keep them happy. lol

3. NJRocket

Major ...

If I were an assistant NFL coach and the NFL instituted a policy that owners MUST interview Jewish coaches as aprt of their selection process, I would be absolutely mortified. If I am Marvin Lewis, Dennis Green or Ted Cotrell (all of whom would/have make/made excellent head coaches) I would certainly have enough pride to become a formality in an interview process.

4. Major

Major Member

If I am Marvin Lewis, Dennis Green or Ted Cotrell (all of whom would/have make/made excellent head coaches) I would certainly have enough pride to become a formality in an interview process.

I agree. On the other hand, Marvin Lewis has had trouble even getting interviews in the past. At some point, he may at least want to have a shot at convincing an owner he's the best for the job rather than not having any shot at all. Like I said -- the Cowboys thing is a sham, but for other maybe more legitimate vacancies, who knows if it might help. It certainly can't hurt - those guys can always decline the interviews.

5. NJRocket

If I'm not mistaken, Marvin Lewis' stock as a potential head coach was very high the year that Baltimore won the Super Bowl. From what I remember, a lot of the coaching vacancies were filled before the Super Bowl was played, thus "eliminating" him from contention from every job exceot the Carolina job...which I believe was given to George Seifert. Its hard to argue who had the better resume between those two.

As for any other jobs Marvin Lewis has wanted and either not gotten or not been interviewed for, I couldn't answer that question. But I am fairly sure it wasn't because he was black. The NFL is about winning...and if you give an owner, IN HIS EYES, a better chance to win than someone else (discounting factors such as salary demands, control demands, etc) then you will get that job every time.

6. NJRocket

I agree 100%

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Timing--

Can you tell me what % of those 149 coaches are Catholic? I'll bet it isn't nearly as high a % as the % of players who are Catholic. I think thatevery time there is a coaching vacancy, the team should be FORCED to interview Catholic coaches.

8. Timing

Timing Member

Do you have the numbers? I'll bet the number of atheist coaches isn't nearly as high a % as the % of players who are atheists. Damn, we might be on to something. ;)

9. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Best quote in the entire thread.

Do you know why the NBA and MLB are leap years ahead? It's because the NFL is the game that you need the most intelligence in. Now, now, I didn't say "black players are dumb!" I just said that the majority of this generation's black players didn't have the educational means to become a smart person.

Common sense.

10. Timing

Timing Member

Actually this is the best quote in the entire thread. Thank you Al Campanis! ROFL

11. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Its ok Reverend Al, I'm part of your superior race.

I don't know what you are trying to prove with your whining and crying about minority coaches in the NFL, but its as simple as that.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Would you guys PUH-LEEZE stop acting like such jackasses when you argue. Good grief, you would think you actually had some say so over whether or not this policy was implemented.

I'm all for healthy debate, but you guys are seriously crossing the line with the name calling and juvenille behavior.

You may as well stick your tongue out at one another and say, "Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah."

If you can't act like civilized adults when you debate over an issue, don't post.

13. Timing

Timing Member

I think your last quote is the only proof I need there Archie Bunker. You're a sick person, simple as that.

14. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

There is, but it's something completely different than what you're talking about. :)

As for the requirement to interview at least one minority candidate, I don't have a problem with it. Yes, it can lead to situations where there a token interview by a team who has already decided on a head coach, but I think the positive of opening up the doors to people who might not have been given due consideration in the past can be a good thing. There may well be some teams who end up hiring a better coach than they would have because they did interview a minority coach.

Of course, in my opinion, there's a lot of instances where coaches are hired after their time has passed. Perhaps by interviewing a lesser known assistant or college coach or whatever, some new blood and new ideas can be brought into the league and make it a better game. Going beyond a race requirement, the NFL might be better off having a requirement that at least one assistant coach is interviewed for every head coaching position... or something like that. If that makes any sense at all. I am just spitballing here.

The point could be that sometimes when minds aren't already open, it takes a bigger power to put together a situation where minds are forced to be at least a little more open. The practice often doesn't work out as well as the theory (which is the League shouldn't be opposed to tweaking the system in the future. It's never enough to design a system and say "that's it. We're done"), but it's by trying something that progress is made.

But what do I know?

15. Timing

Timing Member

You can't expect people to simply stand by while someone makes outrageously bigoted statements. That's far more insulting than any juvenile behavior on anyone's part.

16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Which is exactly why everyone has been arguing with you....

sigh

17. Timing

Timing Member

You're not only not funny, you're actually pretty sad.

18. NJRocket

ditto

19. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

If the person is qualified, they'll get a job. The fact that there will soon be 3 black NFL coaches, possibly 4, is just another reason why you should get off your soapbox and just admit the most qualified person gets the job that's available.

Marvin Lewis would have had a head coaching job after the SB season, but he never fit what teams were looking for, or coaches were hired before the SB. Ted Cotrell will get a job during this offseason or next. Dennis Green is the best coach in the NFL IMO. He'll get a job whenever he wants one. Thats how damn good he is.

There aren't enough qualified black coaches to make it 50/50 like you probably want it. As more capable and eligible black coaches go through the ranks more and more will be hired. Thats just the way it is.

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Some seem incapable of that.

Like Tony Soprano says "Like the Reverend Rodney King Jr. said, can't we all just get along?"