1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL hiring policy is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by NJRocket, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

If the team is making a choice between promoting from within and another candidate then the team should have some choice in the matter don't ya think?

It isn't always about qualifications, it is how you mesh with the team, etc.

If you were interviewing someone for any job and you had any employee that had worked for your for 5yrs and knew the job but didn't have a degree, versus an applicant with the same 5yrs experience in the field and a degree, who would you hire? I know I would promote from within even though it means passing upon a more qualified applicant in most peoples' eyes.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Maybe so...but I am trying to figure out what this a-hole's problem is with white people..its obvious that his argument is completely a black vs white thing when the issue at hand deals with minorities on the whole and the imbalance of minorities in the NFL.

Reagrdless, I wont sit here with my thumb up my ass while this moron puts words in my mouth and tries changing around what I am saying. There must be a reason why he is so belligerent and he only thing I can think of is that he is a racist who doesn't lke white people.

3. NJRocket

I suppose that ESPN calling today "Black Monday for Coaches" is racist too?

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

NJRocket, you are absolutely correct. I feel like an independent third party when it comes to race, being a Spanish-speaker, and it is obvious that Timing has deep-rooted hatred towards whites.

5. Timing

Timing Member

Refman I think you know that Frito-Lay and the Houston Texans aren't the same types of organizations.

To sum things up kinda, this isn't about mind reading or an Al Sharpton snooze of a boycott of the NFL. It's about the record of hiring in the NFL. I can't read minds but I can see who's being hired and more importantly who isn't being hired. Minorities are not represented adequately and because they make up such a large part of the NFL and it's success this issue should be addressed. Some of you are trying to play this as some kind of race card but it's more like the common sense card. Nobody here is saying that there need to be more black head coaches in hockey because they appear at x amount in population. It's weird that so many of you are so angry that the NFL is making sure that minority candidates are more a part of networking in the league. We even went from the best man for the job to whoever you feel like as long as he's loyal to the team.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

No GM/President wants to hire a black coach because none of them want to deal with firing them if they don't perform their coaching duties fit to what the owners want. But what do you have to do to keep the owners happy?

Tony Dungy and Dennis Green = coaches who did nothing but win, But couldn't get to the Super Bowl. Were they fired because they were consistent?

Compare these two -

Marvin Lewis = Coach of the 2000 Ravens Defense, His unit brought the Lombardi to Baltimore, not Brian Billick's offense. one of the best defenses ever, No one hired him, ended up being the highest paid lackey of Steve Spurrier.

Buddy Ryan = Coach of the 1985 Bears Defense, inventor of the gambling 4-6 defensive scheme. A team that went 15-1. Probably the best defense ever, Got numurous coaching jobs, never reached a super bowl as a head coach.

7. NJRocket

You must be kidding...some of US are playing the race card....as you would say, nice try putting a spin on what you said...but we all know what you meant

I clearly stated that I think its just as ridiculous for the NFL to mandate that owners interview minority head coaches as it is for a minority head coach to want to be interviewed as a formality.

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Timing - I am tired of wasting my time on this, you aren't even considering what I am saying. You are just twisting it around. Ridiculous man. I should have known from your previous tyrades on anything remotely related to white/black race topics.

Nothing personal on anything I said.

9. Timing

Timing Member

Originally posted by NJRocket
    Maybe so...but I am trying to figure out what this a-hole's problem is with white people..its obvious that his argument is completely a black vs white thing when the issue at hand deals with minorities on the whole and the imbalance of minorities in the NFL.

I only have a problem with stupid ass white people from New Jersey, in other words just you. According to you the imbalance exists because owners are just picking the right man for the job. Nice going man...

Reagrdless, I wont sit here with my thumb up my ass while this moron puts words in my mouth and tries changing around what I am saying. There must be a reason why he is so belligerent and he only thing I can think of is that he is a racist who doesn't lke white people.

You explain to me how posting a question with your response is changing around what you're saying. I must be David Copperfield like that but then I'd just be a self-loathing magician I suppose. I guess everyone in this thread against minority hiring is a racist. Yay! That's nifty how that works.

Are you implying that the white ex-players all just happen to be smarter / more-qualified than the black ex-players?

Smarter? I can't answer that. More qualified? In the eyes of the people doing the hiring, yes

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

What about Asians? To date, I think Chan Gailey has been the only Asian coach. We need another chance.

11. NJRocket

Finally...you admit it.

12. Major

Major Member

Whats MY point? I guess your and Timing's point is that most or all of owners in the NFL are racists and that they need to be forced to interview black head coaches because they wouldn't otherwise do so.

LOL -- good job avoiding the question. Apparently, you have no point? My point is that the NFL clearly sees this as a problem and is addressing it. Maybe that's an indication that it just might be a problem?

I find it funny that you bring up the Augusta thing. Here is a private organization that has agreed to internal rules regarding its own hiring practices -- agreed to by both the league and all the individual owners -- and you're STILL b****ing about it (<I>If Jerry Jones wants to hire Bill Clinton to coach the Cowboys, and he wants the job, then Jones should not have to interview anyone else...period! </I>)? I thought, according to you, private organizations should do whatever the hell they want? If they wanted to hire ONLY black coaches, you shouldn't have a problem with it.

What the assinine fail to realize is that the NFL is doing just that

No, nowhere does the NFL require a single team to hire a single minority head coach. They do require INTERVIEWING them, but to say that is a "quota" in the sense of getting minorities jobs is ludicrous. But technically, yes, there is an imaginary quota that has no real effect on employment. :rolleyes:

Major, please read, this was a quote included in NJRocket's first post of the thread. Clearly, a quota exists within the hiring process.

And of course, said quota has no impact on the actual hiring of coaches. Quotas, in the sense normally used, implies that a certain number of people of one group have to be picked -- <I>limiting the number from another group</I> -- otherwise, it's not harmful in any way. A quota on requiring an owner to interview a minority does not in any way detriment any other group of people.

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think there should be more white guys playing in the league.

14. Timing

Timing Member

I've considered what you said. You started out saying you want the best man for the job and then tried to use the NBA analogy. Now you're admitting that subjectivity is high in selecting a coach which I said a good while ago. The problem with this subjectivity is that we don't know if and when race is a part of that equation. In the end, all we have is the NFL record on minority hiring which is poor.

15. NJRocket

Major ...

I dont have a problem with the hiring of minority coaches. If you read my initial post you would know that. Obviously you didn't. My point the entire time was that a private organization, like an NFL team, shouldn't have to interview a candidate that they have no intention of hiring. Its just ridiculous and a huge waste of everyone's time.

I think its even more ridiculous, not to mention condescending, for a minority coach to accept an interview so that an owner can fill his quota on interviewing minorities as mandated by the NFL

16. NJRocket

The problem with YOUR subjectivity is that you always seem to think that race IS part of the equation.

17. Timing

Timing Member

That's really what you have to resort to? Taking portions of sentences to show what a clown you are? Talk about pathetic.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Timing is right, All the white people have kept all the minorities happy, and lived with them for decades, and tried to be politically correct. But just as he suspected, The white people are about to all rise up and start a race war and wipe out all that isn't pasty. :eek:

:rolleyes:

Christ dude, So you think white people don't give a **** about minorites? Then why do they try so ****ing hard to keep them happy?

19. Timing

Timing Member

Wow, lucky for you I'm not your boss. Zoooooom to the moon Alice. Oh this is getting funny. :D

Five of 149 coaches are minorities and race isn't part of the equation? If five of 149 coaches were white would race not be part of the equation? Um....

20. Major

Major Member

My point the entire time was that a private organization, like an NFL team, shouldn't have to interview a candidate that they have no intention of hiring. Its just ridiculous and a huge waste of everyone's time.

Why? If the NFL agrees to it, and all the teams agree to it (which they did), why do you care? Maybe a team didn't have the intention of hiring a minority, but an owner will be impressed by one when they actually do the interview and it will change their minds. Maybe over time it will open doors for minorities that aren't already open. I think that's worth the trade off of wasting a couple of hours of time of people who voluntarily agreed with this setup.

The Dallas situation is certainly different in that they've basically already selected their coach. However, in most cases, that doesn't happen so quickly and the candidate might not just be a sham.