1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL, DirecTV extend deal five years for $2 billion

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by BobFinn*, Dec 11, 2002.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

NFL, DirecTV extend deal five years for $2 billion
    Dec. 11, 2002
    SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The NFL extended its agreement with DirecTV for five years Wednesday, giving the satellite service exclusive rights to the league's subscription package in a deal worth $2 billion.

The NFL's average take will rise to $400 million, more than three times the $130 million it is getting from DirecTV this season under an expiring five-year contract, an industry source close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Included in the agreement, which runs from 2003-07, is the launching of a 24-hour NFL Channel on DirecTV as early as next year. DirecTV has shown NFL games since 1995.

In Demand, a pay-per-view cable TV company, also was interested in acquiring the rights to NFL Sunday Ticket.

"Our partnership with DirecTV will continue to complement and support our broadcast television packages that allow us to put all of our games on free, over-the-air television," NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said.

The league has deals with Fox, CBS, ABC and ESPN worth a total of $17.6 billion from 1998-05.

"NFL Sunday Ticket has been a significant programming differentiator for DirecTV, helping us build a loyal subscriber base," DirecTV chairman Eddy Hartenstein said. "It's crucial for us to have programming that sets us apart from our competition."

His service has more than 11 million customers and is a unit of Hughes Electronics, which is a unit of General Motors Corp.

NFL Sunday Ticket allows subscribers to see all out-of-market games each Sunday during the regular season.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

WooooHoooooo!!!!!

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That sucks.

Oh well, sports bars are easiest to frequent during the football season anyway. I'll be happy with my Dish Network and NBA League Pass.

3. Major

Major Member

4. BobFinn*

How so? Would you rather they went pay-per-view?

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I think he meant, "that sucks" in reference to it not being on anything else other than DTV, such as Digital Cable.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yes.

7. BobFinn*

Ahhh, I didn't realize it wasn't on digital cable.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

See, that's what exclusive means. ;) :D

9. drapg

drapg Member

THIS IS CRAP!!!

I'm pissed. I was all ready to have NFL games on digital cable.

Now I have to move to a new apartment that faces the proper compass direction so that I can order satellite tv.

10. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

sorry drapg.

I have digital cable and a satellite dish. I love my dish. :D

11. drapg

drapg Member

ahh, now that is Utopia.

I want a satellite dish, but my stupid apartment doesn't face the proper direction. My lease expires in Feb. and I really, really, really want to move b/c, sadly, football is my life.

However the amount of time and energy it takes to move is causing a huge dilemma in my mind.

football vs. work, which do I value more? In theory its football, but unfortunately in actuality my laziness may conquer all. :(