1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by BanginScrew, Dec 9, 2002.

1. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Who do you guys think will win the award.

In my opinion there are only 2 Defensive Rookies that should be considered for this award.

First is the obvious - Julius Peppers. He already has 11 sacks, which puts him 3rd in the NFL. He also has 4 forced fumbles, and I'm not sure how many tackles. The only problem is that his season is already over due to a suspension for using an illegal substance. His stats won't improve this year, and the fact that he was suspended may hurt his chances at the award.

Next is Roy Williams - This guy is a flat out stud. Not only does he lead the Cowboys in tackles ( he currently has 90+ tackles), he also has 3 Ints, 4 Forced fumbles, and 3 fumble recoveries. He also has 3 more games to improve on those stats. He has more than lived up to the hype he got on draft day

After these two guys no one else should even be close to consideration.

2. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Peppers in a landslide.

For offensive ROY, it's gotta be Clinton Portis.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

ditto what vescey just said...no doubt about it

4. Nomar

Nomar Member

Hmmmm. I remember saying that Portis would be a stud.

I believe it was NYKRule who was like "blah. portis. sucks. blah. vick rules. blah. vtech. blah."

5. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

You don't think his being suspended for 4 games for using an illegal substance will hurt his chances?

6. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Since Phillip Buchanon is injured, I say Peppers also.

7. VesceySux

Nope. No ill effects. Regarding his suspension, the media is making him out to be the victim, anyway, since he supposedly didn't know he was taking a banned substance.

Last years' defensive ROY, Kendrell Bell, had 82 tackles, 9.0 sacks, and 1 FF.
    In 2000, Brian Urlacher (ROY) had 123 tackles, 8 sacks, and 2 INTs.
    In 1999, Jevon Kearse (ROY) had 57 tackles, 14.5 sacks, and 8 FF.

This year, Peppers has 36 tackes, 12.0 sacks, 1 INT, and 5 FF through just 13 games. If he wasn't done for the year, he'd probably break Kearse's rookie sack record. That's your defensive ROY right there...

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Ed Reed in Baltimore deserves some consideration.

9. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I agree. I also think that Derek Ross (5 int's) should recieve a few votes. He has more Int's than any other Rookie DB.

10. VesceySux

Ross should get votes, but there's no way in hell he'll get the hardware. Last year, Anthony Henry of the Browns ended up tied for the league lead in INTs as a rookie (with 10), and he didn't win ROY honors...

11. drapg

drapg Member

Has to be Peppers. Along with Fox's new defensive scheme, Peppers has helped Carolia's defense ascent to a higher status in the league.

I liked Buchanon's chances before his injury as well.

12. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I don't think Ross or Ed Reed will win but I think they both should get a few votes.

I think it will come down to Peppers or Roy Williams.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Phillip Buchanon would have won. Got to give it to Peppers though, He is a monster.

Offensive ROY I guess goes to Portis, another Denver RB who will rush for 1000 yards and never be heard from again. In all fairness it really should be given to Deuce McAllister.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Roy will win it and think it's no big deal because he really wants the defensive MVP award.