1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Year's Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daaum, Jan 10, 2004.

1. daaum

daaum Member

next year draft picks

does anyone know our next year draft picks?
    wat do we need......starter?coming of bench?solid back up pg?
    do we owe anybody our draftpicks.......

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Rockets need an exciting player. One with amazing athletic ability AND superior intelligence. He needs to be about 6-8 or 6-9, have a 40+ inch vertical, shoot lights out, be a terrific scorer, and excellent defender and an all around team player.

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

It'd be sweet if he could lay down a funky bassline when needed, as well.

Boo dum... dee dee dum dee dum boo dum...

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

And he needs to make Shane Battier look like a thug and be overlooked by the teams picking 1st through 20th. ;)

5. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

wasnt it this years 1st rd pick that we traded in the Rice deal?

6. GATER

That's right. He now needs to drop into the 2nd round. :D

7. Raven

Raven Member

We lost a pick when we traded Rice for JA?

Raven

8. GATER

Houston trades Glen Rice, a first-round pick and additional draft consideration to Utah for John Amaechi, a 2004 second-round pick and a conditional second-round pick.

http://www.nba.com/transactions/movement2003_index.html

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No 1st round pick next year (given to Utah for the late lamented ManBoobs). It's just as well. I have absolutely NO faith in CD and the rest of the jackasses in the front office that this would not end up as just another wasted pick.

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

If you're not going to have a first-rounder, this is one of the best years not to have one. Not a very good draft class.

Still, it sucks to be without a first-round pick two years in a row.

11. Raven

Raven Member

I must have blocked this out of my memory. How the deleted can CD be so stupid as to give Utah a first round pick and GR for JA?

Was this done specifically for the exception, because I fail to see an exception being worth a first round pick, especially with the luxury tax being eliminated.

What a joke.

Raven

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

We HAVE to have a first-rounder this year.

We didn't last year. You can't go two years in a row without a first round pick, right?

13. Relativist

Phoenix might do with Gugliotta the same thing we did with Rice (i.e. - give Utah picks to take on his contract), because they're trying get more room for Kobe.

And while it's true there likely won't be a luxury tax in following seasons, there's an economist who thinks there's a 70% chance there will be a luxury tax this season http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_article.php?articleid=12.The guy admits that the 70% figure is a high estimate, but even 50% for example is significant.

#13 Relativist, Jan 10, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  14. Relativist

But hey, I wasn't thrilled with the Rice trade either. If the Rockets can't make a "big splash" using the exception in the offseason, I'll be disappointed.

#14 Relativist, Jan 10, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  15. GATER

Wrong. You can't trade your first round pick in two successive seasons. Last years' first round pick was traded years ago for Francis.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I stand corrected. BTW, who's the last person in your countdown? Moochie, Glen Rice, Cato??

17. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

I dunno'... can we use the trade exception in the off season and get a better player than we could in the first round?

I think maybe we can... Certainly more immediate help and depth for next season.

18. GATER

Funny you should mention that. :)

It's Rice. I was in a severe minority on this board in that I did not want Rice. Not being one that changes sigs often, I would update it every so often while Rice was here. It's currently a "ghost sig" waiting for the Rice/Amaechi trade to be completed.

From that, you can probably deduce that losing the pick never upset me. I'm just patiently waiting for the trade to be completed and highly doubting a #20+ pick is gonna break much starting time given Van Gundy plays/prefers vets. And besides, Nachbar was a #15 in a deep draft. The pick is of little consequence IMHO.

19. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Can anyone find a link that confirms that this year's first round pick goes to Utah. Everything that I've seen just says future first round pick, and according to nbadraft.net, its conditional.

http://nbadraft.net/draftnotes.asp

20. Relativist

http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/amaechi_093003.html

Salt Lake City – Utah Jazz Sr. Vice President of Basketball Operations, Kevin O’Connor announced today that the Utah Jazz traded center John Amaechi and a second round draft pick (received from Sacramento in the Keon Clark trade) to the Houston Rockets for small forward Glen Rice and Houston’s first round draft pick in 2004. The pick is protected to within lottery range.
    Additionally, Houston gives the Jazz a conditional first round pick in 2004, acquired by the Rockets from Chicago in 2000. If Chicago retains the pick then the Jazz will receive two second round picks from Chicago, one in 2005 and 2006. Utah also receives additional consideration from Houston.

It's possible this press release is just mistaken, but it's one source.