1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

next year roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daaum, May 31, 2006.

1. daaum

daaum Member

i been looking every where about who has expiring contract this summer? i know david wesley, but who else and about how much money? i looked on other thred but did not found anythin except wasley.
    another thing is that i read somewhre the rox payroll will exceed next year even though the expiring contracts. any help? thanks...

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

Expiring Contracts:
    Weatherspoon
    Wesley
    Baker
    Bogans
    Hayes
    Barry
    Frahm
    Glover
    Lucas
    Graham
    Davis

Many of these expiring contracts are insignificant because they are so small. The reason why are payroll actually increases is because Yao's extension kicks in this summer, taking a $7M jump.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

The Houston roster will be completely revamped -- no historic statement there. However, depending on our draft choices, I hope we can pick up Trevor Ariza and Jeri Welsch during the summer. If we get Rudy Gay, then I hope we can pick up Welsch and a big forward like Jared Jeffries. James would be a solid addition but would take all the exception money. Of course, Lampe might be the sleeper on our roster, although JVG didn't show any confidence in him during the last part of the past forgettable season.

4. gucci888

No thanks on Ariza, both him and Welsch are terrible 3-pt shooters. If we pickup a swingman through FA, I want him to be a shooter. Jeffries would be an interesting pickup but he isn't an upgrade over Swift or Howard.

We have to take Lampe for what he is, a bench warmer. I wouldn't be suprised if he is released before next season.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Welsch is not a terrible trey-man -- and better than Bogans. He is not a first string player but is a solid backup at the SG and SF spots.

Ariza is a very young "athletic" slasher who can be acquired as a project / backup when McGrady is down.

Lampe is also very young considering his "veteran" status. JVG may have picked him up as a project for this year. Because of his height, size/weight and reputed range on his shot, he could be the PF JVG craves -- plus he can serve as a backup center if Mutombo is unable to remain the force he has always been.

John Salmons and Qyntel Woods (if Les can forgive Woods for his PETA transgressions) would be excellent pickups also. Again, these are role players and not starters, although Qyntel could be.

This really is a game we can better play when the draft scenario is played out.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i think jeffries would stay with the wiz unless we offered substantially more.

same with ariza and the magic, except less to do with loyalty and more to do with them wanting to keep him (at least that's what i recall..) But I think he's gettable.. (and i would really like ariza)

7. gucci888

If so, I think JVG would have played Lampe a little more than 6 games this season, especially considering the amount of garbage minutes we had available throughout the season, especially when they shutdown Yao for the last couple games.

8. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

I read on espn.com that maggette might be had on the cheap this summer and he will most likely be gone. He is an ok three ball shooter but could you imagine the other teams foul trouble with Yao, Maggette at the 3, and tracy at the 2. Maybe Stro and #8 for Maggette.
    LINEUP:

9. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Lineup:
    Yao/Deke
    Tim Thomas/Jho
    Maggette/Bogans
    Tracy/Luther
    Alston/Bobby jack

10. anitasri

anitasri Member

I would puke if Lampe is picked up by the Suns and he starts shooting- must be something about the water in Arizona even their back up center tries to hit 3 's!

11. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

Damn that whole list garbage besides bogans n hayes

12. xishi

xishi Member

can we please stop talking about tim thomas coming here?!

he's trash. :mad:

13. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

I think you should add Jon Barry also, although he plays little game

14. UrMyStlkAl

UrMyStlkAl Member

and Frahm, I wouldn't mind seeing him back. He's a good shooter and wasn't doing bad at all before he got injured.

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I hope you're being sarcastic?... he has hit countless humongus shots for the suns. he is a big body who is agile and atheletic enough to play anywhere from the 2 to 3 or the 4 spot with ease. not to mention he is a solid rebounder. he gives you alot of options. however you're right, he wont endup here, simply not because we dont need or want him, but because he will command bigger $$ then we can afford . you have to be a bonafide idiot to pass on him.

16. sun12

sun12 Member

Why do you only look at his history with Suns instead of all his history with other teams? It is the most short-sighted way of looking players.

By the way, I do not think the Rox management has the ability to put a deep playoff team. I predict another first round and out season for the Rox.

17. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Tim Thomas has bulked up and is more of a legitimate 4 than a 3 nowadays so I will not mind if the Rockets pick him (he is a good friend of TMac), he's better than anything we have at the 4 right now.

18. rocketsmetalspd

Tim Thomas. I wonder if the Rockets will look for a 4 that hit the threes in the second round of the draft.

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I would like tim thomas, I think perhaps he hasn't been motivated due to the horrible teams he's been strapped to. the looks he'd get from yao, let alone tracy would be just as good as the ones he's getting in phoenix.

however, to those who want corey maggette...did you watch him in game 7 of the phx/lac series? the guy is really stupid. in a key stretch of the game he made 3 consecutive dumb decisions, including back to back turnovers. he isn't who we need. hopefully we can get someone decent for that spot in the draft.