1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash !! It AIN'T the offense !!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 30, 2001.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Cheers DaDakota!!

Keep up the good work, eventually everyone will realise Defense is Important and OURS is non existent.

Smeg

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I always like DaDakota's posts. I know he loves the Rockets in terms of their history and tradition, not just in terms of their current players. True fans get frustrated with poor fundamentals, the lack of effort, the lack of smarts, and inconsistency. Remember this is all about the love of the sport and ENTERTAINMENT. The current team is not very entertaining. Instead of doing things that make me wonder how anyone could play basketball that well, they make we want to go out on the court and help them. Er uh, what's the Rockets payroll?

3. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

For Rockets payroll costs check Real GM..

I agree that we need to run. My only concern is turnovers. I really think we can run with any team-I just hope it does not resemble herding chickens.

I agree that on defensive we swhould employ the zone. George Karl killed us with it in '96 -Seattle called it trapping.

Minnesota is winning using the zone more effectively than anybody now.

Let's try this - we are sucking wind now-injuries or no-we need to run on offense and zone on defense-otherwise I'm borrowing Tracy McGrady's bong before the S.A. game so I can at least have a laugh.

4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets will NEVER be able to run the fast break until our guards stop crashing the boards on EVERY missed shot. I realize Cato and KT aren't exactly monsters on the glass, but there are plenty of times when they have the rebound securely handled. Yet instead of streaking down the court to set up an outlet pass situation (like most smart guards would), you almost always see Steve or Moochie run right up to Cato or KT to get the ball. There's no way our backcourt can beat defenses down the court with this kind of moronic basketball.

I blame this on Rudy. He's put together a team and offensive scheme that sounds good in theory, but is completely ineffectual in reality. The fact is, the Rockets need some defensive role players. I'm sick of everyone claiming some p***y outside shooter like Collier or MoT will allow us to get past the elite teams in the NBA. The fact is, the two teams with guard oriented offenses to win NBA championships (Bulls and Pistons) had rebounding THUGS in their frontcourt. Bill Laimbeer understood that one of the best ways to play defense is to frighten the other players into not attacking the basket. Granted he could hit the outside shot, but that was icing - his effectiveness revolved around his TOUGHNESS. The Rockets have no toughness on this team. Other than Willis (who is beginning to show his age) and (during the 3 games a year when he's not sufferring from somnabulism) Cato, our entire frontcourt is pansies. Until the Rockets trade for Ben Wallace or Danny Fortson (which probably isn't possible anyways), our team will never make the playoffs.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Moochie Norris
    Oscar Torres
    Glen Rice
    Kenny Thomas
    Kelvin Cato

You try winning on the road with that team. Do you people just not realize just how bad this team is right now? They don't even deserve to be in games to begin with. Not only is that 5 completely new starters from the previous year, but none of those guys has any business starting anywhere to begin with. Shane Battier is better than anyone on our team right now. You're complaining about defense when our power forward is 6'7", our small forward is Glen Rice, and our center is a hallucination? If Moochie Norris was any good at defense, he never would have been in the CBA to begin with. What do you expect. This team just SUCKS talent-wise, there is no way around it. Lower your expectations -- you're too spoiled.

6. haven

haven Member

When you put it like that, TheFreak...

...wow, that team is worse than the Bulls.

7. Sane

Sane Member

That team is better than the Grizzlies.

Moochie vs Williams Adv Grizz
    Torres vs Buford Advantage Houston
    Rice vs Battier adv Grizz
    KT vs Gasol we SHOULD'VE had the advantage, but didn't.
    Cato vs Wright even

We could've won that game. That's equal. BUT, they have 2 rookies in the starting line-up, and a PF playing C. We should've kicked their butt in the frontcourt.

Everyone was saying how Francis would start trusting his teammates. Well, I thikn it backfired. I think Steve is gonnna shoot a lot more when he gets back. I honestly would'ne be surprised to see Mobley taking 30+ shots against the Spurs. But at least he'll make half of 'em.

8. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

I blame this on Rudy. He's put together a team and offensive scheme that sounds good in theory, but is completely ineffectual in reality.

We should blame Carrol Dawson or whoever was behind singning Moochie. That guy lets everyone just get by him. He jumps up for rebounds like he is has some jumping ability but those are rebounds that come directly to him. I know he is a suppossed to be a backup and he is a fan favorite but there are plenty of teams that have way better backups with more abilities than Mooch. Its nothing personal against mooch hell he's getting paid and all but to me its seems like he tries to use style and flair to make up for his physical weaknesses.

9. The Voice of Reason

I am not in total dissagreement of this thread, however I do have to say that in the one game i was able to watch there was a tremendous amout of hussle on D by the guards. actually i think it was 2 games. in the laker game Cuttino wasa working really hard, and did a great job of messing with Kobe. but as the addage says you cant stop him, only hope to contain him. well Kobe adjusted his game and gave up on the drive. he just couldnt drive on cat. he began shoting over him, and using high picks to get that free shot. there was deffinately hustle, there was deffinately good, but Kobe is a good shooter, so he still suceeded at scoring of no fault to mobley.

also the sixers game. although both teams were wild, there was tons of hustle, and success on d. the one player i enjoyed watching was Steve. he was a wheeling dirvish. he was everywhere. he was also out of controll, and speedy slaxton actuall made him lok bad at times. i think this was early season rust, as well as claxtons speed throwing Steve off. he looked like a turbo mugsy ogues out there, and he had a great night. steve work very hard tho in trying to contain hium and i9n the end looked as though he had figures the little bugger out.

just my opinion

ohh Mochie, yeah he needs to hustle more

PEACE

10. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Cuttino's not that bad on defense. As for our pgs, I hate the way all the other team's point guard has to do is get a pick and they come out with a perfect look.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When you really think about it, Rudy has never been able to defend the pnr, the difference is that we had an eraser. Remeber how KJ,Stockton, A.Johnson and all those guys used to kill our guards because the big men let their guards get sandwiched. The thing is, our defense and philosphy is like cleveland when Fratello coached them for a couple of yrs. The had the lowest scoring d, but opponets shot good % , because they walked the ball up and dribbled the clock down before shooting a shot. Thats not good d, thats horrible offense.