1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: FVV and Brooks at 2yr/$80m & $40m are BAD contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. thekad

thekad Member

I’m seeing a lot of parroted nonsense out there that the “money doesn’t matter, only the years.” That’s stupid. What did Bertans just go for? What did John Wall’s expiring get the Rockets?

Signing average to below-average starters to big money for more than even one year hampers your flexibility and saddles you with a negative asset. Cap space is a positive asset. The Rockets should be using their cap space strictly for more positive assets.

Anyone telling you different spent too much time at the Isaiah Thomas school of team building.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeah, not a fan of the listed free agents so far.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

FVV and Lopez are much better players than Wall and Bertans. I actually wouldn’t mind locking up FVV for 3 yrs at a lower price. But if we do 2-yr deals for both, I don’t see us regretting those signings, even at high prices. 2-yr deals just aren’t very risky. Plus as a 22-win team with not the best reputation, we simply have to overpay a little to get good players. I’d be more concerned about pricey long-term contracts. Just my opinion.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

The reality is yes they're deals that the players are not worth but as a non destination team, the rockets are now that team that have to overpay in order to have a chance at acquiring significant players. Brooks definitely aint it but the offer for FVV is pretty much the only chance they have at him even taking a look here. offering him a "value" deal would be just laughable on his end

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

*has mediocre thought*

*clicks create new thread*

These people, I could never

7. thekad

thekad Member

*has nothing of value to say, ever*

*post reply*

Good job, champ.

Jags, Crashlanded19, BamBam and 2 others like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did
    It
    Merit
    Wasting the
    Internet's
    Time

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think the difference in the examples you laid out is that Wall actually wasn’t an NBA level player anymore and Bertans has a much longer deal.

Edit: And I’m not exactly excited about the prospect of FVV, but on 2 year deals, in our current situation, I don’t think it will be holding us back from much of anything.

Arnel, Denovo and YOLO like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You know what I take it back OP, I've made a worst thread then this

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/where-do-you-think-we-will-rank-in-star-power-this-season.242841/

It wasn't my finest day on Clutcfans @Os Trigonum @thekad

The only interaction I got is someone added the tag of "lol" at the top, and I'm just now realizing this is a function you can use to make fun of a thread which is pretty cool

burlesk, kspires999 and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Absolutely. I think we should take on an atrocious contract like Bill Simmons to get Bridges or something similar to that. Get an asset for taking Lowry off Miami’s books. Short term contracts for fairly useful vets is fine too. I would really like a vet SF (not Dillon Brooks) to start. Grant Williams seems like a reasonable target. I’d much rather overpay for a vet like Harrison Barnes who is good at multiple positions and plays good defense, than one trick ponies like Cam Johnson or Dillon Brooks. We will see if the FO has the balls to continue this re-build professionally or give in to the media narrative.

12. Denovo

Denovo Member

They aren’t bad contracts they are placeholder contracts.

Our core players are like 20-21. Having 2 years of roster continuity and player development would help us not hurt us.

In two years we get that cap flexibility back and can resign our core long term, and/or make a big FA signing.

utgrad97, Arnel, LjGarci and 8 others like this.
  13. a time to chill

I don’t mind the contract proposed for VanVleet. It’s the Brooks contract that grinds my gears.

14. Dredd

Dredd Member

FVV knows Drake. He is worth a lot of money.

evo8lover likes this.
  15. thekad

thekad Member

Wrong. Green and Sengun will be on their second contracts, eating into the cap space the expiration of these bad contracts gives.

A placeholder contract isn’t for two years.

16. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

Ime needs voices that share his vision. He can tell the young pups what to do, but he needs vets to show them what it looks like. If Ime says these are guys that work the way he wants his team to work then you pay what you have to in order to get them into the building.

We have been a laughingstock around the league and in the media for years. We have to shift the reputation and narrative to help us have appeal going forward, even if that takes some extra money on short term contracts.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nope. Green/Sengun aren't RFA until 2025

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Any contract with a 2 year timeframe isn't a bad one, since we will e penalized for not spending that $$ anyway. Unless you just want to give the current players raises for nothing.

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

The question I have is can you trade either one of these guys after a year to a contender and get an asset? These will look like good deals in year 1 but not so sure about year 2 when our young guys will need minutes and we have a logjam with potentially untradeable contracts. If we could swing a deal like PHX did with Ariza's 1 year deal and then traded him at the deadline for a mostly positive asset in Kelly Oubre JR. I assume FVV and Lopez aren't looking for 1 year max deals as they can probably get more money on 2 or 3 year deals from teams, however this does seem like a good year for them to maximize their money and 1 or 2 year deals from teams like Rockets or Pistons.

I am not a fan of the interest in Dillon Brooks but I can easily see a 1 year deal at $15 mil or so? I may be off on the dollar amount but not sure anyone else would give him more money or a longer term deal as his value plummeted pretty heavily considering MEM wants nothing to do with him. Could be another guy that we could get a positive asset out of if he builds his value back up while still meeting the minimum salary threshold to start the season. Just not sure he really affects the game as much as people think even from a couple of years ago. His stats and advanced stats on defense don't seem to be as good as I originally thought.

Another idea people have thrown around is to figure out a way to trade with MIA for Lowry as I believe he only has 1 more year left. This is assuming that he will be okay as a mentor and help our young team but I doubt he would. I wouldn't blame him either. We would need a pretty major asset for taking on Lowry especially if we are giving up Tate and/or KMJ.

I really like the idea of taking on a salary dump and gaining an asset as well as a semi useful player. Rockets should definitely be trying to take advantage of other teams in salary cap hell but I am afraid they will be big spenders and not able to take advantage of other teams or get any useful assets from these free agents.

xtruroyaltyx and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. invocux

invocux Member

Yeah not Brook but i'd love to get fvv. Put Kpj on the wing rotate him with Amen.