1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Webber Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FranchiseCat, Apr 5, 2001.

1. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

It's good to see that things are still lively
    over here. Is "Thanos" still posting his "anti-Webber to Houston" views in favor of MoTay?

Anyway, back in September, I posted some information about C-Webb that I got from this exec at Lipton Foods, Inc. in Stockon, CA that uses the same marketing/public relations firm (Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide, formerly Deen & Black Public Relations)as the Kings. Well, I am disappointed to say that this information was not as positive as the last one.

It seems that Webber's main goal is to go to New York. Now before everyone starts saying how impossible this is for NY to pull off, this is what I have been told. C-Webb has told the Maloofs (I hope this is spelled right) that he is NOT going to stay in Sacramento, period. So here's the plan according to insiders....The Kings will resign Webb for the max and a sign/trade with NY and third time will take place. Insider sources says it is Detroit that will help facilitate the deal (I guess no one wants to deal with Chicago and the Kings know that Houston is not going to help and get f@#$ed in the process). Now I don't know the particulars (basically who) of the deal, but this is suppose to be an on-going negotiation even during this time of the season. Somebody should tell David Stern [​IMG]
    Supposedly, the Rox is Webb's second choice, only behind NY. That may sound good, but from what I understand, we are a distance second, which I guess is still better than 27 other teams. I have been racking my brain trying to see how (and who)this three team trade would go down, but I am no capologist. But I digress, Webber seems to only be considering Houston as "plan B" should NY deal bomb.

I wish I had better news to bring everyone. I can't believe I went from being sure we could land Webber to hoping, wishing and praying that we do. Listed below is the mailing address for Chris Webber (unfortunately, it's in care of the Sacramento Kings), maybe we should all start
    writing him and telling him how great Houston, the Rockets and us fans really are and how much we need and want him here. I just hope the Maloofs don't open his fan mail.

Christopher Webber
    c/o Sacramento Kings
    2nd One Sports Pkwy
    Sacramento, CA 98535

------------------
    "...Do you hear 'em? They're everywhere!!! AAAHHH!!!"

That's what the other teams will be saying after being shellshocked by Steve Francis and Co.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

HONESTLY
    I'd like the guy to come here
    But
    If he likes us a second . ..
    Let us facilitate the deal instead of
    Detroit

Cause I got a GREAT DEFENSIVE CENTER
    for NY or SAC
    [I DON'T GIVE F*CK WHICH ONE TAKES HIM!!]

Allan Houston -- houston
    Cato/#1 pick -- SAC Town
    Webber -- NY

Hell at this point if it means
    getting rid of Cato
    I'd TAKE GLENN RICE [how long is his
    contract?]

Rocket River
    If we cannot get him
    1. MOVE HIM TO THE EAST
    2. GET SOMETHING IN RETURN
    [Mainly Loose Cato]

------------------

3. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

>> Rocket River <<

I agree with you, but I don't think that Sacramento would want Cato. When Webber leaves, the Kings are essentially in a rebuilding mode, would you really want to
    rebuild with a guy like Cato on your team eating up all your cap for future moves? Wait a minute, that's exactly what Houston did, my bad. But anyway, we have a better shot and resigning and trading Mo to the Kings than Cato IMO.

But I definately like you train of thought.

------------------

That's what the other teams will be saying after being shellshocked by Steve Francis and Co.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

isn't that how we got mo T?

it could happen two years in a row, can't it?

------------------

5. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

>> Smoothie <<

Damn good point. I am a true believer once again!

[​IMG]

------------------

6. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Landing C-Webb is great and sign and trade mo sounds even great, but if C-Webb seek for long term in Houston, what will be the future of Francis getting the max out of his talent in the business in 2 years when his contract is up?

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Have to goto the TRUMP CARD
    BIRD RIGHTS BABY!!!

Rocket River

------------------

8. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

All you have to do is look at Portland. If they can do that, why can't we sign Francis to the max under Bird rights?

------------------

9. haven

haven Member

I can't see Houston as a 3rd party. We have absolutely nobody that we're willing to give up who is worth having. Cato, Williams? Please. Anderson is decent, but he won't be under contract.

But then, what does NY have that Sacramento really wants? I can see a Camby+ package, but there's nobody else that Sac would want. Spree would do the trick, but part of the reason Webber wants to go to NY is to play with him. Allan Houston, perhaps... but he's better than Spree. Rice? Nope. Sac isn't going to take him

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

10. jamma34

jamma34 Member

well another important thing to keep in mind,
    if webber goes to ny, im sure theres gonna be a few players who would have to be there for him to sign. ie, if houston is gone, then webber might not agree.
    i dont see the knicks givin up camby, he's one of those guys webber would want there i think, esp if he doesnt wanna play center.
    the 2 most likely to go imo are rice and lj.

------------------
    president of the sleepy floyd to hall of fame club.

http://www.it-is-truth.org

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The thing is . . . NY will lose a Cog
    Most likely - Houston
    Rice and LJ are Has Beens or on their way there
    LJ is LOVED in NY

They need a 3rd team to get a peice
    because houston is redundant in Sac town
    [Pedra Stoy.]

SAC needs D when webber gone
    [VLADE???!??!?!?!]
    Cato could be a good back up for Vlade
    and he can catch some J-dubballeys
    [hehehehehe well maybe we can trick them into
    beleiving that]

I'd Take bobby Jackson and Houston
    Sac gets Anderson [sign n Trade], Cato, and
    #1 pick
    Ny gets Webber

Rocket River
    CATO is our Brian BIG COUNTRY Reeves
    must be a part of any trade

------------------

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Damn [​IMG] I guess our most exciting moment this offseason will be the draft [​IMG] Richard Jefferson dosent want to go to NY [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Detroit is gonna have Vancouver's #1 pick (I think). So if the Pistons wind up with, say, the #4 and #8 or #9 picks in this draft, I could see them maneuvering a 3-way. I could see Othella and Rice possibly going to New York, maybe someone who makes 1 or 2 million to round it out.

I want Webber, too, but if that's what's been agreed, we need Plan B, 'cause we can't wait for the deal to fall apart, hoping Webber will fall to us.

I'll hope, but I won't go all blue in the face holding my breath for CWebb. I think the Rockets must have known about this for awhile; it was reported at the trade deadline that the Rox offered up Walt/Cato/our #1 picks to Da Bulls for Brand. Too bad it didn't happen. Brand = points and offensive boards.

------------------

14. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

>>Jeff<<, you were so good at creating SOR, how about BCWTH (Bring Chris Webber to Houston) as your next project.

Thanks Ali Cat.

------------------

15. davo

davo Contributing Member

LOL - isnt it bad enough that Sac would lose Webber without having to take Rice and LJ as well? That is like adding insult to injury.

------------------
    ..as a man danced so the drums were beaten for him.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Othella and Rice going to Sac u mean?
    Why would Sac want Rice?

Rocket River

------------------

17. Valio!

Valio! Member

I'd love to see webber in a rockets uniform! Too bad he wants to be in NY. But I dont think webber is the second coming...we need to explore all our options...what are all our options?...webber...draft...who else will be a free agent?

------------------
    "It's finger ling ling good!" - Homer Simpson's opinion of Kentucky Fried Panda

18. ROXTXIA

No, I meant Othella and Rice to Detroit (major cap space there) and Detroit's draft picks to Sacramento. I might not have clarified; posting at work, I tend to cut corners (I hear footsteps behind me as I write this....!)

Now I see how we're looking into SAR, Van Horn, Croshere, LaFrentz. Of those options, I'd take SAR, but primarily at power forward, the spot he said he wants to play.

------------------

19. ROXTXIA

And this is the last deal in the world that could go down as tampering, considering the most-favored-nation status Stern and NBC give the Knicks.

------------------

20. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

Hey Rocket Fans,

I gave you the mailing address for C-Webb, let's show our love and our commitment to bringing him here. I don't think it's tampering when fans try to recruit a player.

>>Clutch<<, you were so good at creating SOR, how about BCWTH (Bring Chris Webber to Houston) as your next project.

------------------