1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New PDA phone with EVDO, need help setting up for use with Clutchfans chat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kmart9419, Sep 29, 2006.

1. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Got a new pda phone from Verizon with the unlimited data package. I usually don't get home from work until 9:30pm and missed a ton of games last year. This year, i'm ready. I bought the slingbox and plan to watch the games at work on the phone. Small, but 100% watchable. :)

As a backup, I need help setting up clutchfan's chat for use with the phone. I tried logging in but I get an error message stating that Java is required. MIRC does not support mobile devices, so I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated. I must get my Rockets fix!

2. Omer

Omer Member

3. kmart9419

I don't think they have Java for mobile phones or pocketpc phones. I looked and there was nothing. I'll take a look at the Mirc program. Thanks for the link. I'll report back to see if it works. Looking forward to getting booted by Dr of Dunk this season.

4. kmart9419

Those programs in the link are phone specific and couldn't get them to work. However I found wMirc and pocketirc. They both work. I'm using the trial version of wmirc and its looks good. I test it with Clutchfans chat and works great! Unfoturnately, you have to pay for both programs. :eek:

5. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

How well does the phone work for reading the BBS?

Is there a theme or some option on here to make it more friendly to PDA's or phones?

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Just make sure with slingbox that you dont go above 5gb of bandwith per month, otherwise they (verizon) will cancel your contract, and charge you an early termination fee.

If im not mistaken, in your contract(evdo) it limits the things you can use, and downloading video is not included....

good luck.

7. kmart9419

Verizon does have a limit on its supposedly "unlimited" data plan. The cutoff point is 10Gigs based on my research at dslreports.com. If you stay below the 10gig limit, you'll be fine. I only plan to use the slingbox for the games anyway. By the time I get home, its halftime, so I will only use it for half a game.

But I must tell you, Slingbox on the phone is the best thing since Yao and TMac. You can catch your favorite sporting event or show anywhere and anytime. Won't miss any baseball playoffs this year. :)

Sprint is much more lax on their policy and might allow more of an allowance.

#7 kmart9419, Oct 1, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  8. kmart9419

I use the phone to read the BBS on a daily basis. Turn on the one column mode and all the text is formatted for reading on a mobile phone. No complaints at all.

Now that I can access the chat room, everything is picture perfect. Ran several tests on the chat room with no problems at all.

If the laptop is available, I use the phone as a dialup modem. Verizon disables all dialup options, but with a little tinkering, you can activate it with ease.

9. kmart9419

If Verizon cancels your contract, then its verizon who has broken the contractual terms and cannot charge you a termination fee. From what I read so far, users who has been booted was not charged the fee. So if you hate Verizon that much, this is a way to get out of your contract. ;)

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

actually since you violated the terms of agreement, they can terminate you, and charge you for early termination, and from what ive heard, people have been charged. ofcourse its a person per person thing....

11. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Sorry, could you be more specific? How do you set one-column mode? From the BBS User CP? or your phone?

12. kmart9419

Actually, verizon has no way of distinguishing packets (or don't put up an effort to do so). Verizon just go, look, this guy went over our invisible limit on the unlimited plan, he's unprofitable. Lets get rid of him. Like the guy who got booted at dslreports.com, he does over 5 gigs worth of emails a day and got booted for it. Using email is with the TOS.

But like you said, each case is different.

13. kmart9419

All pocketpc uses pocket internet explorer. It has 3 layout modes, default, one column, and desktop. Under default and desktop, you have to do alot of scrolling right and left. But under one column, pictures and text are formatted so you can view the page without scrolling left and right. All the text are wrapped so its easy reading. One column works with all web pages.

14. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Ah, thanks. I'm using a Palm TX over wifi.

15. kmart9419

palm also has an enhanced viewing mode that is similar to one column. I think its called optimized viewing or something like that. I initially bought a treo 700p and hated the palm os. windows mobile is much more flexible.

i am addicted to this phone and this board. first site I go to everyday. my homepage. need to crack the addiction, its affecting me at work. unfortunately, things gonna get worst when I have to read 30 pages of game threads when the season starts. My wife is gonna throw the phone in the toilet.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm no phone or Java guru, but Java is what runs games on the Razr and other Motorolla phones. Just wanted to clarify that. Outside of that info, I have no idea if the chat will work. You might need to do some reading on hacking phones to get it going. There are tons of hacking groups out there that squeeze tons of usefullness out of phones.

17. kmart9419

Its true, alot of java websites do work. But Clutchfan's java chat client does not. I get "the application requires java support." Not sure what else to do other than using an external chat program like wmirc and pocketirc. Maybe a slight modification by clutch will help.

18. kmart9419

I'm happy to report that the slingbox and cellphone combo is a success. Rockets preseason games came in at 320x240 resolution and averaged 15 frames per second. The fps jumped anywhere from 5 - 30 depending on the connection quality.

Video quality is amazing. I can see the numbers on the back of jerseys. Video is dislayed on a 2.8" screen.

On the desktop, the slingbox is even more amazing. Averaged 25 fps and often stayed at 30 fps on wired lan. Resolution is at 680x240.

Audio on both phone and desktop was excellent. Came in stereo. You can hear everything Worrell and Drexler says. Even that stupid Juwan the gazelle comment.

Lastly, the chat client works great. I use the chat when connection quality is poor. :)

#18 kmart9419, Oct 22, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006