1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New Music] Bon Iver - 22, A Million

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Oct 7, 2016.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Bon Iver's 3rd full length studio release.

Been listening to this all week and it is a big departure from the indie folk sound that rose Justin Vernon to prominence.

It is sure to be polarizing for Bon Iver fans who are used to that kind of music. This is an experimental album, making use of a lot of autotune and other custom-made hardware to accomplish unique sounds.

For Kanye West fans, you may notice some similarties, as Vernon helped create the last few Kanye albums.

It may be early, but I think this album is a watershed moment for music. The emotion he's able to ring out of his voice and lyrics are still second to none. This is artistic. It is beautiful. You should listen to it.

These are my favorite tracks.

kubli9 and Mr. Brightside like this.
  2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I listened to the first few singles a week or so ago, and wasn't too captured by it. But I'm sure it will grow on me. The album titles are quite interesting. This album kind of reminds me of when Sufjan Stevens went through the experimental phase with The Age of Adz album.

moestavern19 likes this.
  3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah the pre-release singles weren't that captivating, and it is a bit of a difficult album to digest at first, but after a few spins it really opens up as a work of art.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

heypartner likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lulz, was coming in here to post Laurie Anderson, as well.

When we say such and such about albums being a "work of art," it often sounds like a disclaimer to defend why the music is hard to listen to ("difficult album to digest at first" -- moestavern19), or doesn't have common things like a "hook" or "bridge" etc, especially if it relies heavily of toys.

Laurie Anderson, however, is a true Performance Artist wrt her live performances -- blurring the boundary between music concerts and spoken word, performance art using music almost as a prop. (She also did artwork not related to music.) And when we talk about "custom-made hardware," she used to wire her body as a percussion instrument. Can't remember the tour, but I saw her live at Cullen Theater once when she'd play her electronic "violin" (which wasn't a violin) and danced around "playing" her electronic percussion suit she was wearing as a secondary instrument.

This isn't intended to be a knock of Kanye and/or Bon Iver, just giving a shout-out to a pioneer in performance art and "custom hardware."

moestavern19 likes this.
  6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm with you. I'm not a big fan of the whole auto-tune as artistic expression thing. But I think Vernon here is using it more as a distortion chamber, an amplifier if you will. The voice is an instrument just like everything else. I think its pretty incredible he's managed to make robot sounding vocals still pack an emotional punch. That is why I think it is a work of art. It is bold. Unique and bold aren't always good, but this is good.

7. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

This is what happens when you hang out with Kanye too much.

Bon Iver, Bon Iver hot me hooked on JV, but this latest production will take some getting used to.

I did vibe to 22 Deathbreast the instant I heard it..

****ified...lol

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I had one listen but I did not enjoy it too much. Have to listen a few more times before formulating an opinion.

9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Big fan of his last album and had been waiting for a new release. I wasn't that blown away with the pre-release singles either but the album as a whole is great, a true piece of art.

10. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I dont get it. Totally sucked the first time I listened to it.
    Too old to give it another chance to grow on me.

11. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Everytime I hear Justin Vernon autotuned it reminds me of Jason Feathers. Another Justin Vernon project with Astronautalis taking on the persona of an evangelical southern rapper.