1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Member - Kings Fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SPTSJUNKIE, Jun 5, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

SPTSJUNKIE,
    UCLA is the Bomb! When I lived/worked in LA, I loved driving by the campus! Great place to go to school. Welcome!

No offense, but I would like to see Webber gravitate our way.

If Webber bolts, what will the Kings do to replace him?

Thoughts?????

ROCKET!!!

------------------

2. today

today Contributing Member

Christopher, this is your father. I have changed my mind and feel that you ought to sign with Houston. Call Houston and get them to fax you the contract.

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight."
    -- Barkley on Minnesota's Chris Carr(thx RocksMillenium)after he missed a game winning free-throw.

3. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

SPTSJUNKIE -

Welcome in and thanks again for the interesting perspectives. I'm up for hearing more about "nice guy" Webb, and also what (if anything) do you think Sac would look for in a S&T from us / others?

-----------

Our purpose in life is to find our gift, and the meaning of life is to give it away!

------------------

4. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

SPTSJUNKIE-
    Welcome to the board! Let me honestly tell you Sac is my 2nd favorite team. I just love the way you guys have played the last 3 years or so. I am also a JW appologist. Most of it may be because I saw him play in a HS b-ball tournament in Ohio when he and Moss were teammates. I know he has great skills and I hope he can eventually become a more disciplined player.
    Do you not think getting blown out by LA won't send C-Webb to the East? My concern is he saw in that series that Sac can't match up with Shaq & Kobe and that his best road to a ring might be via the East, where he would have an easier road and only have to go thru Shaq or Duncan rather than having to go thru both in the West. Also if he goes to the East he becomes the dominant big man there, whereas in the West he is behing Shaq & Duncan and equal or close to KG and Sheed.
    Again I would love for him to stay with Sac but I think the LA series showed him something.
    Thanks!

5. carlit0

carlit0 Member

SPTSJUNKIE
    Welcome thanks again for the interesting views.

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

6. SPTSJUNKIE

SPTSJUNKIE Member

Yeah, UCLA is awesome, both of my parents when here, so there's was definitely some pressure when I was making my decision. It's a nice campus, but pretty boring at times. Fortunatly I'm in a frat, because as it gets harder to get into the school, people here have become a lot more focused on academics (to a fault) and this place can be very dull. Not many good places for running either and a horrible weight room. However, we do have some nice places to play ball. I actually work as a ref for IMs.

Yeah, well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that second point.

If he bolts outright to Houston without letting us do a sign and trade, what can we do? Petrie is a very, very good GM and I'm sure the Kings would recover in time, but you can't just replace a player of Webber's caliber that quickly. There's no immediate fixes in the draft and besides Davis, no other free agent PFs who would start over Pollard. Petrie always drafts the best player available regardless of position, so my draftwist it's hard to say, if they don't trade up Alvin Jones or Cisse are the two possible future replacements. I'm really praying that isn't the case and I really don't think Webber would hurt the Kings like that after the loyalty and honesty we've extended to him.

------------------
    Feel free to visit http://pub52.ezboard.com/fthebleachermobfrm1 for informative, intellegent Kings talk.

7. SPTSJUNKIE

SPTSJUNKIE Member

Nice guy Webb? Sorry, I'd love to answer, but I don't understand the question.

In terms of a sign and trade, Petrie tends to go for the best player available regardless of position. Obviously, we'd love to get another MVP-quality PF, but that doesn't look realistic. The most intriguing possibility for a sign and trade so far seems to be Indiana. O' Neal, Harrington, Bender, and Crosher all seem like they'd be options if the Pacers really wanted Webb. But keep in mind, like someone on this board said in another topic, Petrie won't do Webber any favors and he'd rather let Webber walk than take on other team's scrap. That's why I can't see a deal being done with NY or Orlando unless there is a third team involved.

------------------
    Feel free to visit http://pub52.ezboard.com/fthebleachermobfrm1 for informative, intellegent Kings talk.

8. SPTSJUNKIE

SPTSJUNKIE Member

I really don't know. I think the only person who does is Webber. That being said, Webber's publicly stated that he like the challenge of pplaying against the top PFs in the West and I think he would miss that if he went East. As for championships, I don't think Webb wants to be on a weak team from the East, just so he can go to the championship, I think he wants to win. The Kings may meet the Lakers one or two rounds earlier, but I think the determining factor (as far as winning goes) for Webber will be which team does he think has the best chance of beating the Lakers, regardless of when they play them. That said, I really think it helped the Kings that the Spurs not only got swept, but humiliated in their series, while the Kings had a legitimate shot at winning 3 of the 4 games. At least the Kings played with heart and thos few points could be easily overcome as their younger players - Hedo, Peja, Pollard, Jackson, Williams - gain some more experience. Hopefully that will mean something to him.

------------------