1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New blog post on how amazing Jeff Green has been for Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Aug 6, 2020.

1. foggy94

foggy94 Member

That 3 point shot is the bonus. If he's hitting that at 40%...man

snowconeman22, Nook, Deckard and 6 others like this.
  2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Really all the Rockets did was use their advantages that they have on the Thunder. They can trap James when he doesn't have the ball. By mixing it up with the ball handling responsibilities everyone is a threat when James gets the ball

D-rock and saleem like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Jeff Green is basically a more athletic Robert Horry.

Plus he had heart surgery and is playing basketball during the pandemic like there’s no tomorrow.

Dude is quickly becoming one of my favorite Rockets.

glynch, D-rock, joshuaao and 7 others like this.
  4. foggy94

foggy94 Member

It was funny seeing people on Twitter saying stuff like 'welcome to the annual one good Jeff Green game!'. Clearly haven't been watching Green in a Rockets uniform so far, this is no fluke.

Deuce, D-rock, joshuaao and 6 others like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Feels good to be wrong. He was a sub par shooter and generously mediocre on defense. I didn't love the signing, and really didn't understand how he got guaranteed rotation minutes.

But Pringles and crew knew what they were doing. He's a capable shooter with all these good looks and skilled enough to make things happen with all this space. He's also been perfectly adequate on the defensive end.

Yet another castaway who has benefited from the Harden effect.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  6. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Gotta give props to PJ and Harden I think for campaigning to get him. He was a free agent for months before we picked him up. I doubt the FO was itching to go out and get him seeing as how he was sat at home for a while.

I believe Harden wanted to get Gerald Green 2 years back too. It helps to have a leader who loves hoops and gets into the Drew League and other camps during summer and probably hanging around all these vets, knowing their games

Deuce, glynch, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think they need a wing who can attack off the dribble more so than a defensive wing hopefully he could do both.

It's a revelation how much damage Green does with the dribble, we have sorley lacked that wing penetrator for a while.

D-rock, Nook and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Fortunately House has shown flashes of it and Gordon looked more like a basketball player last night.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

House is more of a straight line driver and his handles are subpar, I am talking about a wing who can drive using multiple moves like Green with the behind the back.

Gordon took a que from Westbrook and just attacked the basket which was good to see.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have been SCREAMING for a big that can shoot the 3ball for more than 5+ years....finally....FINALLY we have one.

DD

D-rock likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's true but teams are definitely going to improve at guarding it. I don't think they'll get very good at guarding it, but they'll be better than they are as soon as next game.

It kind of feels like Jeff was a smallball C his whole life but it didn't exist yet.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

How do you think they feel about Caboclo? I think they gave up a protected second for him and Memphis had no other reason to do it. I guess they see something in him? I feel like he showed in Memphis he can put stats on the board with good efficiency for a team that was actually trying to win games despite their record.

He seems like a player who needs a lot of repetition to reduce his errors, but maybe with patience he can become a good backup for this team. If he pans out, that would solve a significant problem. There's no one too tall for him to guard with that wingspan.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  13. Damion Laverne

We're getting a motivated Jeff Green, which should haunt OKC

Check his numbers when hasn't given a rip

D-rock likes this.
  14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Ain't this the truth!!! When WB went down, I said "EGo has going to have to attack like WB and not just pull up from deep every time."

D-rock, Hakeemtheking and jiggyfly like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I think they are consistently disappointed by Caboclo. His problem isn't his ability, it is his complete lack of maturity and focus. They were not happy with him in the bubble. The Rockets bring in players like him because even if there is a 1% chance of him "getting it", the payoff is massive. He is 6'9" with a 7'7" wingspan so the physical potential is there. FWIW in the very limited time he played with the Rockets this season he was excellent defensively from what I saw, but there is obviously a sample size issue.

He is a free agent after this season. I think the Rockets would give him another shot if he wants to come in and earn a spot on the team, but I am not sure they will give him more than the minimum.

Mathloom, Deuce and D-rock like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

There is a reason Green was taken as high as he was in the draft. He is a physical specimen at 6'8" with a 7'1" wingspan and 240 lbs.

His issue has always been consistency, effort and in fairness to him, fit.

I was fine with the Rockets signing Green, but I did not expect him to be as consistent as he has been.

I do think that you are right when you say he found his fit as a small ball 5 for the Rockets.

In the past Green would not get minutes at the 5 with other teams because he wasn't a good enough rebounder or shot blocker and defensively he had lost a step.

With the Rockets he is perfect because the Rockets have given up on rebounding. With the Rockets, Green is averaging a paltry 6 rebounds per 48 but it doesn't matter because he is getting an incredible amount of easy baskets, shooting 80% on 2's and 35% on 3's.

I still want to see consistency out of him, but he has been huge.

jcmoon, Mathloom, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

It's like when PJ had to leave the NBA for a few years until the game evolved for his skill set... and a team like the Rox came a knockin'! ;)

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This might have been said but Green signs with the Rockets on Feb. 28, 2020. And, he's playing like he's been on this team at least all season and much longer. And, he wasn't even playing anywhere the first half of the season. To be playing like he is given it's only been 9 games or so is amazing. He seems like a very smart basketball player and his presence cannot be denied. I be like "who the hell is Jeff Green?" not so long ago. Now, I know. Keep it up, Greenie!

D-rock likes this.
  19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I didn't expect much from Jeff Green, but I love him - man.

D'Antoni just knows how to get guys like him going.

D-rock likes this.
  20. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Best playmaking big we've had next to Harden since JSmoove. The reads are so easy when you play with Harden - you mostly play 4 v 3 and know where all the shooters are stationed. Awesome to see Jeff integrate himself so quickly in this offense.

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.