1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets & Sixers make big trade.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Oski2005, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

ESPN news just reported that the Nets traded or there is a proposed trade, not quite sure, Keith Van Horn and Todd MacCulloch to Philly for Dikembe Mutumbo.

2. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Mutombo to the Nets

There is a trade imminent between Sixers and Nets.

Mutombo for Van Horn.

Bad trade if you ask me. Nets need scoring.

Also, there are rumors around here about a Martin, Jefferson and Kittles for Garnett. That has alot of buzz also. Wait and see.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Just varifying that the trade is official.

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

this from www.nypost.com

SOURCES: MUTOMBO TRADED FROM 76ERS
    By ROB MAADDI AP Sports Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHILADELPHIA (AP) . In a major trade involving the past two Eastern Conference champions, the Philadelphia 76ers sent center Dikembe Mutombo to the New Jersey Nets on Tuesday in exchange for Keith Van Horn and Todd MacCulloch, The Associated Press learned.

The deal, confirmed by numerous Eastern Conference officials, represents a major shakeup along the front line for both teams. It was to be officially announced Tuesday evening.

Mutombo, a 7-foot-2 center who led the NBA in rebounding in 1999-00 and 2000-01, was acquired by the 76ers at the trading deadline in 2001 and helped them reach the NBA Finals. He signed a lucrative extension prior to the 2001-02 season and is due to receive almost $54 million over the next three seasons.

Mutombo will play center for New Jersey in place of MacCulloch, who was a teammate of Mutombo's in Philadelphia before signing with the Nets a year ago as a free agent. The center position was a weak spot for the Nets when they reached the NBA Finals in June and were unable to stop Shaquille O'Neal of the Lakers.

Van Horn was chosen by Philadelphia with the overall No. 2 pick in the 1997 draft but was immediately shipped to the Nets in an eight-player trade. He averaged a career-low 14.8 points per game last season and was conspicuously ineffective during several postseason games.

Although the 76ers are giving up one of the game's best defenders and rebounders, they are reacquiring a player who is coming off his best professional season. MacCulloch, a native of Canada, averaged 9.7 points and 6.1 rebounds in 62 games . missing 20 games because of a foot injury that also will keep him out of the upcoming World Championships.

The addition of Van Horn gives the 76ers another scorer who can . at least in theory . take some of the offensive burden off Allen Iverson. Since Iverson was drafted in 1996, the 76ers have tried to use Jerry Stackhouse, Tim Thomas, Larry Hughes, Toni Kukoc and others in that role.

Van Horn, a gifted shooter whose toughness has been questioned, averaged a career-high 21.8 points for New Jersey in 1999. He was among the longest-tenured members of the Nets, who made it to the NBA Finals for the first time in franchise history after joining the league 26 years ago.

Mutombo has spent 11 seasons in the NBA with Denver, Atlanta and Philadelphia, leading the league in blocked shots in 1993-94, 1994-95 and 1995-96 and rebounding in 1999-00 and 2000-01.

Mutombo averaged only 8.8 points in the 76ers' first-round playoff loss to Boston last April.

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

from AP and Rod Thorn

"To get a player of that ilk was something we felt we should do," Nets president Rod Thorn said. "We should be a really good defensive team."

Thorn said the Nets and 76ers first discussed a trade on draft night in late June, and the talks heated up again over the past several days.

"If you look historically at the NBA, any time you have a center who is a defender, rebounder and shot blocker, it's always an advantage," Thorn said. "Historically, that's what you need to scale the heights, and from our perspective, we feel that Mutombo will be able to do that for us."

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Great trade for the Sixers, pretty good for the Nets.

The Sixers weren't going anywhere with their roster anyway. Mutombo only has a couple of years left, and is best served on a team near contending status and with several efficient offensive weapons. The Sixers needed scorers, and as much as KVH is disliked around the league, he can definitely put points on the board. Maccullough isn't Mutombo, but he is a presence inside that can grab some boards and drop in a hook shot or two.

Of course, it's good for the Nets too... they have an efficient offensive system, and could use a presence in the middle without relying on him to score. However, I think they may have traded prematurely. They needed a big man, and wanted to unload KVH, but I don't think Mutombo's the long-term answer. Kidd wanted a big man to consider extending his contract, and though Mutombo is a big help now, he's not the longterm solution. IMO, the Nets needed to trade for a star big man (remember the Garnett rumors) to convince Kidd to sign long-term, and they just traded their most tradeable asset without getting one.

In the short-term, the Nets are definitely the better team... but down the road I like this more for the Sixers.

7. sxystr

sxystr New Member

Actually i was a bit disappointed with the trade. I dont see Mutombo as being quick enough or offensive enough to run with martin , jefferson, kidd, kittles (soon to be replaced by slay hopefully) . I think it is a bad trade for the nets

8. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Bah, who cares, I think the both teams were better before the trade. Bad overall trade.

9. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How old is that guy? Is he 100?

Geez. No future. No future for you.

Sixers are bandits.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hmm...could turn out to be a good trade for both teams, but I wouldn't have done it if I were the Nets if Martin had not caused that public rift with Van Horn at the end of the season. Kidd, Jefferson, Martin, Mutombo is a good core, but Mutombo is really old.

11. Stylez

Stylez Member

This trade actually makes the Sixers as good if not better than the Nets IMHO. The Sixers get thee second scorere they desperatly needed (VanHorn) and get a decent replacement for Mutumbo w/ McCullough.

I don't know what the Nets get. They dump some salary but pick up an old slow C who can't run w/ Kidd & Co. and who can't but up much of a fight against Shaq either. And Dike isn't exactly the star big man Kidd was thinking about so I don't think this will make him stay.

Iffy move by the Nets.

12. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

The Sixers really don't have any defense now!

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

What did they steal? Keith Van Horn and Todd Maccullough? I don't think that qualifies as theft. Nice trade for both teams, New Jersey needed a rebounder and defensive presence and Mutombo will give them that. How does this make the 76ers better then New Jersey? It's freaking Todd MacCullough and Keith "All I do is gun up threes, play zero defense, have zero post ability, and turn the ball over in critical situations" Van Horn.

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

What makes me laugh that its the second tour of the team for both Van Horn (well first LEGIT tour) and MacCullough.

15. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I don't care what ya'll say about Mutombo...i guarantee you that it will help them in the playoffs. If the rest of them play as good as they did last year, then Mutombo will be what wins it for them in the finals. Not a smart season move by the Nets, but if they think that they can get back to the finals and they do, then it will make all the difference in the world.

16. Stylez

Stylez Member

Nets might make it to the finals this yr. but they can't beat the Lakers w/ Mutumbo. Remember what Shaq did that guy 2 yrs, ago? Mutumbo hasn't excatly gotten younger and stronger since then.

The trade does give the Sixers a better scoring option than...uh...what's his name...uh...Oh wait, they didn't have a second scoring option. Perhaps Brown could light a fire under VanHorn's soft @$$ (probably not) but at least they could do a better job of using him. Maybe posting him up instead of soley staying on the outside.

Either way, and aging Mutumbo (whose only got 1-2 productive yrs left IMO) is probably not going to be enough to get Kidd to stay long term and w/o Kidd the Nets are done.

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Hmm.

That should benefit both teams. New Jersey gets some more defense, and the Sixers get someone who could potentially take some of the load off of Iverson.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Who wants to bet Iverson does not get along with KVH (a second scorer)?

19. JamesC

JamesC Member

New Jersey got a steal, a big steal. A line up of Mutombo, Martin and Jefferson will be one of the best in the Eastern Conference. What were the Sixers thinking:confused: ???

20. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Um, except Mutombo could pull a Hakeem this year. He's about 40. It's a risk that no one can full evaluate until after this upcoming season.