1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Isn't Jonathan almost twice her age and an addict?

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Music, music, music!! They absolutely NAILED the mood and setting with the soundtrack.

Also, while I understand the need for Episode 7, it could have been done in a little different way to keep with the tone and story of the rest of the season. But, that's a very small nitpick, and all in all, I give this season a 9.5/10. Just phenomenally done, and I can't wait for Season 3.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Haha, he's 23 and she's 20. But yeah, he looks like he's lived a rough 23 years. And it certainly doesn't help when you can't even attend your own premiere because you got busted for coke.

daywalker02 and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I just finished watching this weekend and I didn't even mind that the whole series is a mash-up of 80's movies. Goonies, Firestarter, Gremlins, Poltergeist, etc. Very well done, looking forward to the next season.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To me, it's not that I don't mind it, it's that it's what makes it special.

I mean, the story isn't bad. It's not the "best" story, it's definitely solid, better than a lot, but it could be one of any number of stories in the solid range.

It's the cultural references, the feel, the characters, the acting, that make it engrossing.

Every character is just such a perfect archetype...

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Good point. I guess for me when there are so many references and mimics of old movies it just feels like kind of a been seen there seen that type of thing. Although, for this show they've done it in such a seamless and effective way that it doesn't come off as contrived and it's pretty entertaining and nostalgic. I really loved all the old cars.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Someone needs to do a compilation of all the peel-outs with shots from behind the cars. I recall at least 4 of them.

I especially loved Winona's Ford Pinto peeling out, and almost not making it up the little embankment...hehe...even spraying dirt on the camera.

and did anyone say the car Cujo ate was a Ford Pinto?

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've been watching Beyond Stranger Things. More than anything else it makes the kids more endearing.

9. JayZ750

I actually find some of them pretty annoying.

mrm32 likes this.
  10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Wife and I joke about how one of the brothers looks like he doesn't want to be there and gets annoyed at every comment any kid makes.

11. JayZ750

Yep.

I have to remember that they are NOT their characters so its ok for them to be different. And that they're young teens, which in generally makes them annoying :)

But i find some of them a bit extra annoying in the same way the brothers seem to ...

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My idea of a polished teen actor is that they have 2 stds and a drug habit to kick.

Let them grow up normally or they become Lohans...

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm trying to limit my consumption of Millie Bobby Brown. I don't want to start hating her.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  14. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

There is no real character development on this show with the exception of maybe Steve -- the only character who experienced any growth. He went from selfish douche boyfriend to a likable mentor-friend to Dustin and the boys. That's the only character arc on this show.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Season 2 was very good, but I was a little disappointed. Maybe the first season set my expectations too high. They played it very safe. The new girl added nothing IMO. Seemed like they just wanted to balance the gender numbers a bit.

The 4 original child actors are superb for their age. This is a distinctive feature of ST for me.

I hope more risks are taken in seasons 3 and 4 (which are confirmed) or it will become boring.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

17. Xerobull

Love this! But...why is the preppy rich kid working in an ice cream shop?

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Possibly a plot twist and his dad gets sucked into the upsidedown. I thought they were seniors tho.

19. Buck Turgidson

B. Dalton Bookseller was superior to Waldenbooks.

20. Xerobull

I preferred Waldenbooks. Can't remember why- maybe the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section was better?

Torn n Frayed likes this.