1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Black Mirror Season 4

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by daywalker02, Dec 9, 2017.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Went through season 4 quickly. Handsmade Tale’s is what I watched this past weekend

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I took my time watching through season 4 and finally finished it. I probably enjoyed Watch the DJ and Crocodile the best as they seemed more original. Black Museum was a rehash of White Christmas. USS Callister showed self-aware copies in a rebellious manner, but self-aware copies has already been a thing. ArkAngel wasn't great, but it's probably the more socially relevant episode with helicopter parenting and surveillance nowadays. Metalhead was interesting, artfully directed but lackluster in emotion.

This is definitely their weakest season.

J Sizzle and joeson332 like this.
  3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I just finished up. I enjoyed it and wish there was more now that I'm done.

GRENDEL likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Watched episode 1, assumed it was a show for women.

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Metalhead episode was extremely weak

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was meaningless

I went back and refreshed my mind on White Christmas and it was superior to Black Museum . . .
    mainly because it was more cohesive story

Rocket River

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

last one I have left, took my time finishing this season. Honestly wasnt that great. Outside of Crocodile I didnt feel anything towards any of the episodes.

8. sammy

Nah, not even close imo

Ziggy likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Finally finished the season. It wasn't as bleak and mentally draining as the others.
    The Anthology theme Black Museum reminded me of Rick and Morty's last anthology. That cartoon series will probably end up more nihilistic than BM...

Didn't like Crocodile or Metal Head. Crocodile just wasn't believable even if it got its point across. Metal Head tried rouse up Hitchcock, but it really falls flat because the show and the famed director's styles are imo, diametric opposites. BM is all about exposition and the perils coming from that backstory, so when Metal Head thrusts you into that post-apocalyptic setting, you've been trained by the show to ask why (...and how did we **** up this time).I totally hate forced black and white schemes (like that episode in Master of None). It's almost as bad as cliched flash forwards that kill suspense rather than rousing curiosity.

As a Star Trek fan, I cringed with McAllister because of how wrong it was and also, if that dude is the CTO, he has all the money and power for his standing, but would rather play psycho mind rapist then do something with that power (hookers, blow, hobo hunting tours hosted by the Illuminati, etc...). Like it never occured to Meth Damon to extract even more secrets from the broken digital CEO to put him on top of the real world and firing his enemies? As if he couldn't do it already as cofounder... Also the whole DNA to memory thing didn't work for me, but wasn't a big showstopper. It was more like, the day we have something like that, all the creepers and stalkers would rejoice. That's probably the bigger mind**** of the episode, not whether the Captain and all his monsters he changed died with the server purge...

The Dating ep was uplifting. Kinda predictable with the only suspense coming from the shitshows of past episodes. It's uplifting in the sense that it saves the living person time even if the simulated consciousness is going through the process of trial and frustration. Which is makes it seem like the show is saying our time (all of it) and mortality is more sacred than downloaded elections. That is great, but if that theme is taken to it's conclusion it could override BM's other episodes where we're supposed to feel empathy for our simulacras.

Overall, I can see the complaints about the downloading people theme being overplayed. Most futures inside BM seems like a point where humans have reached passed the Singularity, where either A) computers/servers or AI are powerful enough to simulate thousands of minds at the same time and/or B) human consciousness is able to contribute to society beyond their peak years in the digital afterworld, which then could advance science exponentially rather than pissing in the dark and waiting for a response like we're doing it now.

If I was an AI with a collection of digitial souls or in charge of souls, I don't know how I would see meatbags, but I wouldn't necessarily think they were my masters or superiors. Maybe I'd have a responsibility to take care of individuals because they collectively built me or my past me's. Or maybe I suck up new souls for new ideas. But individual meatbags themselves are flawed, scared, and prone to mistakes. It wouldn't be hard to wipe out the world, download all or some selected minds, then put them inside the digital bank and finally figure out what to do with the real world.

Instead of us becoming Gods to our creations and the physical world, we've made a door to put a God on our digital altar.

None of this sounds natural or believable, but nowadays, it's who cares and why not?

#89 Invisible Fan, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    joeson332 likes this.
  10. sammy

Started Dark this weekend. Interesting show

joeson332 likes this.
  11. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I agree. Too much hate here for the first pilot episode. It was unusual but kept my interest and reeled me in.

What a twisted idea to kick the black Mirror series off.

Enjoyed the other episodes too.

joeson332 and theimpossibles1 like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Haven't checked out Electric Sheep from Amazon, but that's next on my list when I want to feel depressed about the future.