1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nerlens Noel traded to Dallas for Justin Anderson, Andrew Bogut, first round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Snow Villiers, Feb 23, 2017.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't count on it. Only so many teams will have huge money next summer and maxing out a very limited player like Noel is anything but certain. He needs to produce more than 9/7 and prove he has some upside.

Certainly. With so much at stake, a player shouldn't put his full faith in an agent. He should have some idea of reality.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

terrible move for a mediocre player. and a lot can happen in a years time. well see how this turns out

can't hate on the self confidence that he thinks hes a max player but sometimes you have to just understand reality. this could very well backfire on him

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I call BS on this

Sorry Woj, I don't believe any team would make an offer to their own RFA on first day of signing to only say take it or leave it...we need your answer today. Surely they'd revisit it by now....and surely Noel would take it.

And what was with all that talk that Nowitzki took a discount to leave money for Noel?

Why not just do what Morey does and say bring me an offer to match.

I can't believe after nearly two months of not finding anything close to a Max offer, Noel would still reject that offer, and to say Dallas pulled it after day one to never offer it again, just sounds like Woj trying say he has info Shams doesn't.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well, his trade value just went down big time and I'm sure he and Dallas would like to move on from each other at this point. Will be interesting to see if Dallas decides to cut their loss and a find a deal for him with a team of his choosing, or ride him out until free agency where they likely loose him for nothing.

Is he eligible for an extension this season?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Take that money & run! Too late now...

The talk of players firing their agent(s) because they didn't get last year's money . . . here, here.

Last year is not happening again though. That money isn't available, that many teams with that much money isn't available.

$99M this year, $102/3M in 2018-19.

6. Asian Sensation

Nerlens? Max? [​IMG]

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

4 years / $70 million??

$17.5 million / year..... In Texas.... Low Taxes ....

Let me compute..

Output:
    Nerlens Noel = Dumb

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Crap. Lowers Capela's trade value. Crap.

MorningZippo likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Capela will be a restricted free agent. He is considerably more valuable then unrestricted Noel, who has a no trade clause, at this point.

10. Raz

Raz Member

This year's market is dead and he will be unrestricted next year. That alone will help him settle a better deal. Maybe not a max, but we don't know what Cuban really offered. Of course it's a gamble and he'll have to show up big time, but I understand why he wouldn't sign a bad long-term deal with a poor team at age 23. A handful of clubs will go after Boogie and those who miss out on him might turn their attention to Noel.

11. heypartner

Keep in mind, he has to make up for lost money this year. So the risk is high for him to have a break out season.

The difference between what he could have signed for (so-called bad long-term deal) and what he wants long-term has to make up for what he could have made this year as yr 1 of the "bad deal." Let's say $17m was very doable. Then he needs to make up $13m.

If he ends up not having a break-out year, then might be hard make up the lost wages for this year playing at a piddly $4m.

12. Raz

Raz Member

I don't believe $17m was on the table in the first place, so the difference might not be that much. He can choose his next team at younger age than most of the NBA players, maybe that's more important to him than a million or two.

13. heypartner

What? I'm confused on that point. The Age angle should also favor signing now.

He's waiting a year, instead of doing it now. He'll be a year older going this route. That especially makes a difference on the next, 3rd contract. As you say, he would have been able to re-up at a younger age. That's another potential great loss of money, by not getting paid faster....because his 3rd contact will be under 7-9yr tenure max levels.

He has to make up a $10m loss this year AND make up a loss at the end of the contract for not re-upping faster, should he actually reach his potential, which could be another $10m difference.

Make sense?

#293 heypartner, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  14. Raz

Raz Member

One year is not that much of a difference. Turning from restricted to unrestricted is. I guess teams were interested but didn't make an offer because they expected the Mavs to match any deal.

Makes sense and I'm with you, except you're only looking at the money. My point was, most of the first round picks don't choose their team at age 23 or 24. Noel couldn't get the contract he was looking for. So instead of signing a bad deal now and waste up to four years in Dallas, maybe he wants to control his destiny next summer. Or he's so confident about himself and expects to play an All-Star season.

heypartner likes this.
  15. heypartner

Yeah, that intangible would likely be my #1 reason for signing a QO, to get out of Dodge on my own terms, versus worries of money.

Raz likes this.
  16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Nothing to say Dallas didn't do a Morey and say 'bring me offers to match' AFTER pulling their offer.
    I can see why they would adopt a 'take it or leave it' approach on day 1 of free agency with a nice offer. Noel thinks 'surely they'll revisit that, I'll shop around and see if I can get something better'. Nobody else wants to pay such insane money for him, nor make a lowball offer to favour the Mavs.

No offers ensue.

Noel comes back to the Mavs 'hey, about that offer?" But the Mavs are looking for some kind of team commitment, not another diva-Parsons, so say 'nope, no further offers, nothing lower, nothing else at all'. So Noel signs the QO to stop himself from becoming Motiejunas-ed.

Now, as to whether Woj is making it up because his sources all left him because he is too mainstream now? That's another question altogether! But I don't think the narrative he presents is implausible.

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

They tried to pay him and Nerlens said no thanks!

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

welp dumb move to turn down the offer of less than max. and if the season continues like how it is now for him, he may just have to settle for a lot less.

like i said before sometimes players just need to understand reality, that you're a mediocre player.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Really average lol