1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need to Learn HTML

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CJLarson, Dec 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I've got to do this project for class about creating an HTML page and implementing some specific stuff into it. I know quite a few people here are probably savvy with the language, can anyone direct me to a good place to learn the basics? This teacher did not teach us anything about it at all, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i know how to spoiler. does that count?

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

HTML is very easy. w3schools.com is the best place to learn it.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

How in depth does it need to be? There are some nice, easy wysiwyg editors out there that will help you with building a page. They give you a split view that allows you to edit a page visually then auto-generating the code for you.

Google 'free wysiwyg HTML editor'

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I haven't programmed in years, but I would say this is the best way to go. At least get a framework of what you're doing. And make changes where applicable.

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://www.codecademy.com/

if you really want to impress the homeboys and girls, get that JQuery and bootstrap set up

http://getbootstrap.com/components/

Insert right before your closing body tag: script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1/jquery.min.js" (with the <> signs, I accidentally messed up Clutchfans lolz)

If you want to test it live, http://jsfiddle.net/.

9. SwoLy-D

^ WTF?!?!? He needs to learn HTML, not JavaScript, like you showed. Come on, man... learn to crawl before you walk. That's like me asking you to compose a song in Chinese when you don't even know the language. :cool:
    Stopped reading there: HTML isn't "programming", sir. :eek:

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i learnt HTML myself and ended up making a website for my work so it must not be that hard

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Don't be so condescending, especially since from the OP's question, he obviously don't really know anything about HTML or programming in general.

I prefaced by saying I haven't programmed in years because I have no idea what the current tools are when it comes to help support writing in HTML. Perhaps there are more beginner-friendly software today than there were years back.

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Pay someone on Craig's List to do it for you.

/lifeadvice

13. Northside Storm

Codeacademy has a HTML track---which mixes with a CSS track---you can hardly learn the first without the second these days. That's the first link. A walk-through on Web Fundamentals will do more then reading off W3 (at least with our ADHD prone generation).

the rest is just for fun and kicks

The JQuery track that follows is really not that hard either.

screw regular html pages, make beautiful bootstrap carousels that explode. don't settle for less

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

humblebrag alert

15. Northside Storm

i can follow instructions from a prompter, and type numbers and strings and mix it with some basic logic whooooo---but wait, you, and basically most people can too.

It's not exactly Alan Turing level stuff (and the more people realize it, the better).

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Seems odd that a teacher would expect you to know HTML for a project without any instruction, unless that was a prerequisite for the class.

17. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I second the Codeacademy suggestion. Very easy to get into and the tutorials do a great job of walking you through and cementing the fundamentals.

You might also try Lynda.com.

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Use this. No serious developer would ever use w3schools for anything.

I find YouTube tutorials great for learning new programming things, too. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls2pZXy-e1g

I've used similar things for stuff like Spring and D3. Very useful. Might be because I'm an auditory learner, not a reader.

19. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

HTML is very easy, go through the w3school tutorials and you are good

1 person likes this.
  20. SwoLy-D

My goodness, gentlemen, stop trying to teach this kid some advanced stuff like CSS and JavaScript. The guy asked to learn HTML.

If my correcting the proper terminology is "condescending", so be it, but HTML is markup, not programming. Stop confusing people into thinking they're the same. They're not the same.
    He needs to learn HTML, not be a "serious" developer. :eek:

Next to the HTML Beginners' Guide, this is the good one: