1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Need Advice] No contact for two weeks after interview; should I follow up?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Here's the situation:

(TL;DR) I interviewed for a job within my organization two weeks ago. I haven't heard back yet. Should I contact the hiring manager to see what's up? If so, how?

I already sent a follow-up email a few days after the interview.

This place is notoriously slow for hiring (government). For example, it took me a year to get back to the organization after leaving a few years ago.

The job I applied for was stalled due to an HR snafu. It was a priority but got pushed back by the time the interview rolled around.

The hiring manager has a lot of responsibilities, so that further stalls things.

When I interviewed, I was told they would make a decision by the end of the week. They had a couple of interviews last Tuesday, so that was obviously not a good estimation.

On my end, I was highly recommended for this position by both the person it was designed for (who ended up taking a different job that he had wanted for a while) and the project manager over the project that created the position. I felt like I interviewed fairly well, although on a few points I think I didn't respond as well as I could have (technical stuff). I had a good shot to get the job from jump.

There was only one other internal candidate that I know of. He is buddies with the group that the new position was created as part of, but from what I understand, outside of that, he isn't qualified at all and was even fired at one point in the past and somehow rehired.

TIA for advice.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Do you have contact with either of the people who recommended you?

1 person likes this.
  3. Xerobull

I do, they're both friends. The guy who the job was created for doesn't know anything, but he's a pretty laid back 'don's push the envelope' kind of guy. The manager I haven't talked to, but he is the type to call right away if he knows something.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Gotcha. Good luck man.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It is perfectly reasonable, and kind of expected if you are interested, to follow up after an interview. Companies get caught up in their own stuff and lose track of time.

It helps to know a candidate is truly interested and excited about a job. Just don't make a pest of yourself. Keep your communications to around 1 a week at most.

Also, have you sent your thank you notes to your interviewers yet? That's another way to differentiate yourself while at the same time following up on the time line.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you're in, you're in. Follow-up correspondence at this juncture (past a "thank you" phase) wont change anything. There's really nothing more to it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Xerobull

The original follow-up was a thank-you and a reiteration of my interest/skills.

At this point, how should I phrase another follow-up?

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Like Supermac said, follow up to show your interest. Make sure you restate your interest even. If they say to call back later, don't call back before then.

1 person likes this.
  9. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Yes of course - in fact I would think it shows a lack of professionalism if you didn't follow up and ask for an update on your interview status. Imagine you contacted a potential client for a partnership and they showed interest yet you didn't follow up after two weeks (the product/service here is you).

Ask politely if they have any updates with regards to your interview status and don't sound pushy/rude. Two weeks past your last interview round is plenty patient; any competent recruiter would want to see you have continued strong interest and that you follow up in a professional manner. my 2 cents [hired 20+ people in the last two years]

--------
    Hi _lousyrecruiterforjobi'mgonnahate_,

I would like to follow up and inquire on the status of my application for the position of _job_ based out of _location_. My previous round of interview with Mr.Romney was very enjoyable and I am excited by the opportunity to work for _company_. What can be expected of the next steps in the interview process?

Below I have added my contact information again for your convenience:

E-mail: xxxx@xxx.com
    Home: xxxxxx
    Mobile: xxxxx

Regards,
    Xerobull

#9 crossover, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What is the worst that could happen. They say no and you move on. Always be Closing.

1 person likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In this or any job climate, you get that closure follows upto distinguish yourself and keep yourself in mind of whomevers hiring

It's the pro thing to do

1 person likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seems fine to ask since the timeline they set has expired. Doubly so because it's internal. I'd just mention that the ETA you expected has past and you'd like an update. No big deal. They'll either say, "Sorry we went another direction and forgot to tell you" or "we need more time" and then give you a new timeline.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I disagree. It's never that close. If someone is the most qualified, that's the guy. You go and get him.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

it doesn't hurt to Jeep a good impression after rejection.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the only worse thing than HR is HR for the government

#15 DonkeyMagic, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Sent a follow-up email closely based on crossover's reply.

Reps to all helpful info. :)

17. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Good luck. Two weeks is plenty of time for a company to contact you. If a company really is interested, you would have heard of at least an update by now. Of course certain exceptions can occur such as budget freezes and what not. You have every right to check in, especially after two weeks, as this is something YOU can have also have a piece of mind. It always stinks to wait around for an employer to get back. Keep looking around elsewhere and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

18. teknokid

teknokid Member

You could ask, but you didnt get the job.

19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

theres nothing to lose by following up. If i interviewed someone to work at my place and they followed up after a reasonable waiting period, i would respect them more.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Just show up on Monday AM and say you're ready to work. THey will have no choice but to hand you a desk and computer and then it's all delicious gravy.