1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Need Advice] Helping Little Brother (College Dropout) Find a Job

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dharocks, Mar 23, 2012.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Some background (fair warning: long read, scroll down to the bottom for tl;dr version):

I graduated December 2010 with my BBA/MBA in Accounting, and having interned in each of the two summers before, I was immediately hired upon graduating. My brother, who's a couple years younger than me but was a senior at the time (I got held back in Kindergarten -- I know, I know: "Little dharocks, what's 1+1?" "Jell-O?"), ended up withdrawing from his school at the same time, literally 4 classes short of graduating.

His explanation was that he planned to save himself some dough by taking those classes online. It was a reasonable enough explanation to keep my parents from kicking him out of the house, especially since they were letting me live at home while studying for the CPA exam, but here's the thing: he hasn't actually been taking the classes online. After pressing him numerous times on the issue, it turns out one of the classes he needs is a core curriculum capstone only offered at his school, and only offered on campus. He knew this, and the fact is he just decided he didn't want to go to school anymore. For one more freaking semester. I truly doubt that he'll ever get his diploma.

So in the last 15 months, he hasn't been working, he hasn't been taking classes, he's been sitting around playing Xbox, smoking weed and draining his savings account. He somehow managed to defer his loan payments, so I guess he's done one productive thing in that time. :rolleyes:

I found out earlier this month that I passed BEC, so I'll be getting my own apartment in the next couple months, probably at the end of busy season. My parents have issued Mike the ultimatum that he needs to get a job by that time or he's out of the house, so now he's at least looking around for jobs, but he thinks that because he was a finance/accounting major and has 110 college credits to his name he's too good to flip burgers or deliver pizza, and wants a "real" job. If he can't find one by them he intends to sleep on my couch when I get my new place. Awesome.

It's therefore in my best interests to find him a big boy job. Going back to school isn't an option, he doesn't want to do it and my parents are pissed enough that they won't pay for it. So how does one go about finding employment for a college dropout who left his senior year in good academic standing (3.2 GPA), no internship experience, and a 15-month gap in employment/education? I promised him I'd help him find something, and if it comes to that I WILL let him stay at my place if he's not employed by then (not negotiable, dumbass and deadbeat that he is I'm not abandoning him), but I have NO CLUE where to even start with the kids resume. As I mentioned, he was a Finance/Accounting double major. Any ideas?

tl;dr version: My little brother r****dedly quit school a semester before graduating 15 months ago, despite being in good academic standing (3.2 GPA) and only needing 4 more classes for his diploma. Since January 2011, he's been living at home doing nothing, so huge resume gap. Going back to school or distance learning isn't an option. Now he needs to get a job or he's getting kicked out my parents' house and is going to live with me. I'm not crazy about that idea, so I'm desperately trying to find him work. He was an accounting/finance double major. He won't so much as apply for a job he deems 'beneath him'. WTF do I do?

1 person likes this.
  2. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

why cant he finish school?

You probably shouldnt offer him any hospitality, maybe he'll wake up and smell the roses.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Tell him to try to work as sales. Whether it's insurance, cars or whatever. It will either make him realize that the real world is tough or he'll succeed. It's a professional career and can lead to good paths. You can also tell him to work at a cable company fixing routers or w/e, or some other sort of "skilled" labor. Maybe get him a job in data entry or other manual clerk office jobs. If he's good and dedicated, still can be a career.

Lastly, you can let him live on your couch but you can't make it easy on him. Parental block the cable box so he can't watch TV, put no food in the fridge (or get a lock on it), and password protect the network modem in your room, which you should lock.

1 person likes this.
  4. dharocks

He needs 4 classes. Two he can take online. Two he can't (it took us a while to get that info out of him). One of them can only be taken on campus, the other has a pre-req he needs to take first, and he can't afford to go back full time and my folks won't pay for it.

I've made it clear that if he is going to live with me, he needs to get a minimum wage job or something. Not gonna leave him out in the cold though.

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

What exactly can he write on his resume? It will be very tough to explain to every potential employer about the whole college thing, and every one of them (especially the, ah, non-beneath jobs) will want to know why. No reputable firm's HR department will consider (unless you are VERY good friends with them) giving an intern when there are others also desperate to get them (and have degrees). My best bet would be local, maybe VERY local firms, firms that need grunt work done for the books and need an extra hand.

But are you sure going back to school is not an option? Does he have to repeat the whole year or just the semester? And to be honest, it's a pretty shitty excuse if it's just 'he doesn't want to go to school any more' esp with a finance and ac degree. I was going to suggest summer courses or schools or whatever, but not with that kind of attitude.

1 person likes this.
  6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Let him get kicked out and force him to figure it out on his own. Sounds like your brother needs a wake up call and to grow up.

1 person likes this.
  7. dharocks

To clarify, the classes he needs are his finance capstone (can take online), operations mgmt (can take online), business school capstone (can take online, but needs operations mgmt first) and the core curriculum capstone which needs to be taken on campus.

8. dharocks

My worry is that instead of taking it as a wake up call he decides he's going to deal drugs or steal cars or something like that. He's a smart kid, but the decision making process just isn't there and he doesn't think his actions have consequences.

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

huh

Operations MGMT is one of the easiest classes in my opinion, especially for a finance major.

Are you sure there's not anything else? Sounds like the guy just lost his sails, and that's usually because of a life-changing kind of thing, or some lack of direction. You're not really going to be able to find him a job or anything else unless you address that.

It could be your brother just finds finance alienating, or something, though there's plenty of organizations and NGOs that require the analytical skills of a finance major, and are actively searching for them. You could point him there, though I don't think anything will happen for him unless he chooses to initiate the change himself. Lack of motivation is something you can sniff out right away from an interview, if not from the porous CV.

1 person likes this.
  10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Agreed, true tough love on a youngster can have negative effects. Support him, but make it tough, guilt trip the heck out of him for staying on your couch. But at the same time, you're being a great big brother, kudos.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How far is the school from the house. Is it out of town out of state? If its in the same town why not just finish school?

12. dharocks

Agreed. I was livid when he told me he hadn't taken it his junior year, but he took Stats II late for some reason.

He became a double major in accounting his junior year when I told him that finance alone could make it tough to find a job right away. I know he hated accounting, but he took all the required courses. I'm pretty sure he likes finance though. Honestly, right now he's in that, "why does it matte, I've taken all these classes, it's just a stupid piece of paper, etc., etc.," He's just immature. 22 going on 18, I guess.

Thanks for the advise, I'll point him in that direction. I think he'll do okay if he can get an interview, he's smart and he's personable. I've been thinking of telling him to research up on home improvement DIY stuff online, maybe he can tell them that he's been building a new patio or something for my parents while at home and BS about it. I dunno.

13. dharocks

We're in Philly, he went to school in Ohio.

14. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

He can be a cop for HPD, I think it's something like only 50 college credits required.

1 person likes this.
  15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I don't really think there's a way to hide that hole...I mean, I know if someone told me they spent 15 months on home improvement, that would raise some serious red flags. I think it's better to be straight out honest about it, and admit to a burnout or whatever. If it was a shorter period, I could see it, but 15 months?

What it will involve will probably have to go beyond regular job search sites/procedures. That 15 month hole is a stinker that people who resume scan will pick up right away. It'll be hard to land an interview in that case for a job your brother decides is "not beneath him". Push him to submit as many resumes as possible. Take his resume and spread it as far and wide as you can, obviously. But it might not be enough, especially with how tough the economy is these days.

I'll give you an example of how I would approach it. Make a list of companies that he would like to work for---they don't even have to be finance-related. I looked at my university's career site, and companies as diverse as Kraft, and Bombardier (airplane manufacturers) were looking for finance majors, for analysis/business strategy. That accounting double will help loads as well for stuff like that.

Is your brother passionate about anything? A particular industry/hobby? I'll take the obvious one and say video games, based on your story, then craft an example...

Philly has a few studios.

http://www.linkedin.com/company/play-eternal-llc

Play Eternal

Their COO---

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/vie...*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2&trk=pbmap

Mike Worth

http://www.playeternal.com/contact

Just tell your brother to shoot them a short email with a bit of a personal background, how he could contribute to the business with his business skills and background, and send out a resume. Address it to their COO in this case (if only because I cannot for the life of me find their HR rep). Add personal touches if you want, a lot of these people have all of their details on LinkedIn or company sites. You can really create a personal connection, as your brother can try to ask them to hold the door open and give him a chance.

Take a list of every company or organization your brother would want to work for, would be passionate to work for; Nike, Reebok, EA Games? See if they have offices in Philly. Tell him to find the names of their HR reps/contact info and get him to send out personalized emails selling his potential, and his dedication, and attach his resume.

Of course, this isn't easy. There will be tons of rejection letters. I don't really 100% recommend this, and one does have to consider that this is definitely a hard road. If he's suffering from a lack of motivation, this might just dampen it. But if he's really doing nothing, and you want to strengthen his character, this is the road to go, especially if there are some places he would love to work, but never thought he could. I think a lot of people would be surprised what doors earnest dedication can open.

Also, worst comes to worst, try to get him to volunteer for a cause he loves. I say volunteer because a lot of NGOs can't afford to pay (of course he could be lucky and find one that does), and a lot of them could use someone with a finance/accounting background to tackle funding issues, problems etc. It would plug the hole in his resume, maybe generate a good reference or two, and might get him to realize his own potential, and how good life has been to him. He might finally realize that the degree he got is useful for the skills he can bring to the table to fight for things he loves, and that work might be more than just a 9-to-5 paycheck, but a vocation for what you want to see in the world.

Long post. Hope it helps. I wouldn't take everything I wrote, but hopefully some of it is useful for you guys. Best of luck.

#15 Northside Storm, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    4 people like this.
  16. dharocks

Dude this helps a lot, would rep again if I could. I stayed on where I interned during school so I'm pretty clueless when it comes to finding jobs. Much appreciated, would never have thought of most of this.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sounds very similar to my nephew, who eventually finished his one missing item and got his degree 2 years ago. A lot of good it did: At age 26, he still lives at home with my sister without a job.

I don't want to sound negative, but even if your brother finishes his degree, he won't get a job. He doesn't want to finish because he doesn't want to work and remove his excuse for not working). This is why he's imposed two impossible conditions: (1) Not finishing his degree and (2) Will only accept a "good" job.

My sister is a psychologist and says my nephew suffers from depression. You may want to have your brother diagnosed.

2 people like this.
  18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I don't have anything all that constructive to add, but I think the OP deserve kudos for not leaving his brother out in the cold even though I think most would in that same situation.

1 person likes this.
  19. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

tl:dr version makes him out to be a scumbag loser

kick his ass out

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I tend to think along the same lines as Northside Storm in that it is likely there is something that he's not admitting to your family. There's no reason a semester away to all of a sudden decide to "save the money" when it sounds like your folks were helping him out in the first place unless something happened.

He wouldn't have kept up a mid B GPA if he didn't care all along.

1 person likes this.