1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nearly 200 Muslim workers fired in Colorado after walkout over prayer dispute

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

• Wearing a cross
    • Displaying ashes
    • Wearing a yarmulke
    • Displaying a bindi

These offend you?

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not sure how you can equate the two.

Smoking causes physical harm to others around. People practicing their religion to themselves causes no physical harm to you. Whatever mental harm you may have from witnessing other people practicing their religion is self inflicted.

3. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Reasonable accommodation is all a business has to offer. It's unreasonable to think that a place of business can cater to every religious desire.

Good for Cargill. If people don't show up for work, they need to be canned.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

LOL. Stop looking at people penis god dammit.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aren't these people working manual labor at a meat packing plant?

it's not a desk job that you can just walk away to the break room.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A Cargill meat packing plant is home to some of the sickest and unclean working conditions that would make Lewis Sinclair roll over.

I may have eaten their **** infested products over time, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or support their methods and means for "job creation".

As for 5 minute prayers, what's more disturbing to a manager imo is the idea of a 200 employee clique that mindlessly thinks and acts together in a high pressure and oppressive workplace which just screams for organized labor.

#27 Invisible Fan, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yes, if you have to have a special room or place at my work place as well. Or if you openly show these old world customs in public/work places. Why am I forced to look at it?

It's not to themselves, they have a rooms at a workplace. If my religion consisted of spilling my seed on the ground as an offering to an invisible man in the sky once a day during work hours, should my work place provide me a fapping room? If yes, would it offend others when I go in their and perform my religious acts? You know it would really disgust and offend people. I would be discriminated against for sure.

And yes, religion and religious practices can cause harm to others as well especially mentally and to those that didn't ask for it in their lives. Kids are a perfect example, they're never asked to join or partake they are brainwashed and eventually it becomes a major part of their life when more than likely it wouldn't have if they never were forced. As an adult, believing in invisible all powerful gods who are omnipresent and at the same time absent, yes that's self inflicted.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why reasonable accommodation is the key. If an employer were to ban religious and religious practices that would be workplace discrimination. At the same time an employer shouldn't have to sacrifice their ability to effectively run their business just to accommodate religious employees. That wouldn't apply to other employees who might find their coworker's displays of faith bothersome unless it got to the point that it actually was effecting the business.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Up to the workplace. There is no requirement to accommodate today.

As for fapping, I think that is not part of any of today religions. And it does have physical damage to property, but more importantly, I'm sure it is against some indecency exposure law. We are still a nation of law, so that's a pretty bad example.

We are talking about workplace which in the USA doesn't employ kids. But said it's some 13 years old teenager. If a workplace provide "break period" for religious prayer, I don't see how that harm the teenager that are not forced to participate. They aren't being brainwashed. They see the activity and might be curious or simply think nothing of it. If they are being brainwashed and being forced to participate in a workplace, I'm sure that would be against some law.

I don't question why people have faith, but I do judge their actions. I think the vast majority of them keep it to themselves, would like to practice in peace and their faith is obviously a major part of their life (e.g. maybe it's a great coping mechanism for life difficulties). As I'm sure you don't want to be judged for simply being non-religious (I'm assuming) but for your actual actions, wouldn't you think they deserve the same?

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Breathe. Nobody is forcing you to pray, spread ashes, or otherwise participate in these practices.

12. ipaman

nothing is worse than debating folks who believe in fairy tales

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

This is where the moderates whisper, in the shadows, "and they wonder why they're being attacked."

"This is what drives us to extremism."

It's a childish, and ultimately dangerous sense of victimizing entitlement that means even in 2016, Muslims will continue to harbor resentment for the progress oriented societies that provide them with their only safe haven in the world.

It is beyond comprehension how naive and manipulated the general populace has been until now.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29327985/muslim-workers-fort-morgan-fired-over-prayer-dispute

Cargill could not be reached for comment Wednesday night. Last week, Mike Martin, director of communications for Cargill, told the Greeley Tribune that employees of all faiths are allowed to use a reflection area, but that because employees work on an assembly line only one or two at a time can use the area, to avoid slowing production.

He told the Tribune company policies had not changed.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No one is saying you have to believe in anything or saying they believe in it. I'm not Muslim or Christian and no matter how many times I see people of either faith pray hasn't changed that. I kept a small picture of the Bodhisattva of wisdom in my cubicle when I used to work in a large office and no one bothered me. Coworkers kept Crucifixes and Biblical sayings in theirs and I didn't bother them.

You know what might be disruptive to running a business though is someone who went around telling his coworkers that their religious practices was offensive and they were believing in fairy tales.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Could they not find jobs in Somalia that paid em American wages and gave breaks for prayers?

17. Buck Turgidson

This is really all it boils down to, pretty much a non-story.

Oh, and **** Cargill, they are a horrible company.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

Fairy tales vs. Monkey tail .

Anyhow, those guys could postpone prayers, you can pray in a car or airplane seats if you had too, so its doable

19. ipaman

not talking about debating the workers, i'm talking about the folks in here. we can present arguments for or against cargill/200 workers but it won't make a difference if their mind is made up already with faith as the support.

but you bring up a good point, in general how does one debate a person who's argument is faith based? i could spend hundreds of hours researching, testing, building, and presenting an argument. a faith based person could spend 0 hours and just say, i'm right because i believe. what a joke.

regarding this cargill/employee issue. i think cargill is just taking advantage of anti-muslim sentiment to power trip on these employees because the 200 employees have the look of organized labor. they did a nice(stupid) thing by first allowing the room/prayers but now they regret it. now if the employees organize and get prayer/room back, perhaps they see their power and ask for wages/benefits next. cargill is more afraid of organized labor than praying muslims workers they just won't admit it. they need a narrative (anti-muslim) to get keep power.

20. ipaman

Also, where the Mexicans at? Honestly they'll do a better job and cheaper. And they don't care about prayer rooms, just pay them and they'll work their asses off.