1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBC News] Dem Congressman calls for gun confiscation and nuking gun owners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Honestly I doubt most politicians give a **** about gun rights. Weaponry has advanced so far now that a thousand's of people with guns could never really do anything significant against the government, you know this isn't the 1880's. Gun restrictions as far as background checks for the mentally ill and everyone else should be or stay in place at least so we don't **** up each other up.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nevermind that the OP's thread title is a lie as he didn't call for nuking gun owners. Of course, you need the lie to create the hysteria.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

His speech still refers to using unlawful force, which would be a use of violence, against gun owners. Showing his true colors. Why is it that people are so quick to support violence against people who are minding their own business?

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The use of unlawful force being talked about was the unlawful force gun owners would theoretically use against the government.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good luck with your search.

dachuda86 likes this.
  6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

That's real nice. Original.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What I love is all of the people who think Trump is Hitler, and want to resist. So if Trump is literally making himself a dictator, wouldn't you want people to rise up with their arms to protect themselves from a tryannical government? I mean in theory of course? I don't think that, but some people I know seem to think that he is the next Adolf. So ok, would you support nuking (or be pro-violent response) resistance fighters who are breaking the law of the government in that case?

#47 dachuda86, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Groovy. Glad you liked it. I'm a gun owner myself, but I find the constant paranoia exhibited by a relatively small percentage of the millions of other gun owners in this country to be largely based on gross exaggerations and outright lies heavily promoted by the NRA, which is more concerned with protecting their lucrative relationship with the gun manufacturers than they are in the welfare of the citizens of this country.

dmoneybangbang, jo mama and dachuda86 like this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

See my previous post.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I can understand your opinion friend. I don't necessarily care about the same things you do, but I hear ya.

Deckard likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

No. That would be stupid. People rising against the United States government with their guns would not stop it. The government controls the power. They will cut off water and power to people's homes. Then they can just sit there until people cave. If that doesn't work they can then send in tanks. Tanks will not be harmed by citizens' guns. They can also drop bombs on them. Those aircraft will not be harmed by citizen's guns fighting an authoritarian dictator of the United States. The citizens won't ever even have to see a member of the military that will be protecting the president. Their firearms will not protect them against tyranny.

The best way to actually overturn a government like that will be to go on strike and not relent. With the nation shut down, the government can not function.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Oh the irony...

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

snopes confirms that the thread title is half true and half false. so I got THAT going for me . . . which is nice

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/eric-swalwell-gun-owners-nukes/

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ridiculous thread, sensationalized - what a dumbass reach.

**** TRUMP!

DD

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Wow, your lack of knowledge about warfare is showing. I bet your gun knowledge is just as limited.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well, I own and shoot several guns regularly. I don't claim to be an expert at it by any means. Knowledge about warfare has nothing to do with armed citizens thinking they can use their firearms to fight against the government. The government would not really have to get into range to defeat armed citizens.

I do know that shutting down all production in the nation would cripple the government and make it impossible for a nation to function.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's not what snopes is saying. You posted a ridiculous thread - it's just an outright lie to say he called for nuking gun owners. But the truth wouldn't be a very good headline of course

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there's nothing ridiculous about this thread. and Swalwell drew first blood--he's the one who brought up nukes in the first place.

https://www.conservativereview.com/...-is-exactly-why-we-have-the-second-amendment/

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've always asked proponents of the "the second amendment is to fight a tyrannical government" trope about what is the threshold to actually use firearms against the federal government for a legitimate cause?

I was thinking that the Black Panthers of the 60s who used firearms as a show of force to fight Jim crow segregation and voter disenfranchisement against African Americans was an acceptable threshold but those same proponents of the second amendment label those movements as extremist and "thugish".

So when is it the right time to start pointing weapons at the federal government? When is that "tyranny" threshold reached? Seems like an important aspect to nail down before someone touts the "the second amendment is to fight tyranny of our own government" line?

FranchiseBlade likes this.