1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nbaplaybook] A Look At The New Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Oct 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. worzel gummidge

2. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

3. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Nice read and clips!!
    Guess Yao needs some drills working on is laterall quickness?, something he's never really been good at.

BTW repped.

4. dduong5

dduong5 Member

Nice post! You put a lot of work into it!

5. supermark

supermark Member

wish him gl

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The guy is complaining about him letting dwight take a weakly challenged 15 foot jumper? Dwight? I mean really....

7. yaomingyaoming

Nice attempt at analysis but I think it's waaay to early to analyze Yao Ming this way. Give him at least 20 games into the season, and then we'll talk.

Here's the thing: That Yao looks THIS good at this early stage is, to me, impressive. This guy just came off serious potentially career ending injury, and hasn't played in over a year, but he looks great!

I think barring any setback to his foot, Yao Ming is going to be OK. He will always be limited now minutes wise because of his foot problems, and therefore, he won't have the statistics like before, but I think he can come very close to his efficiency levels. 95% from his peak.

8. MandM's

MandM's Member

Let's give it a break. If Yao gets to 90% of what he was we will be happy with his performance and addition to the team

9. Redfan

Redfan Member

Saw this post earlier. I have alot of respect for the writing on nba playbook and his concerns were largely the same I think everyone has seen. That said, we all expected him to look rusty. Yao is a hard worker and will improve as he breaks away the rough patches

10. bloop

bloop Member

The thing to be watching in that article is how Martin moves without the ball, and how Yao is going to be providing 2-3 baskets per 12 for a cutting Kevin just being on the court

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Nice analysis as far as where Yao is RIGHT NOW; however, I just can't get behind projecting every problem Yao has right now over the whole season as if it's all a permanent handicap. He looks out of shape or unused to game speed much more than he looks actually limited by injury.

12. TheGoldenGreek

I found this very interesting. It is a little too early to predict how Yao will perform over the 82 game season, but I must say the early signs are better than I expected. His lateral quickness and lift has always been a weakness and it looks worse now because he still is not in NBA shape yet. Despite these weaknesses, the fact that you have a seven and a half foot center in the middle of the lane helps the defense. That's just how it is. Once he shakes off the rust on offense, I think we'll be seeing a Yao Ming that looks a lot like the one who led us past Portland two years ago.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Nothing more than what i've been saying all summer. Hewill play alot of high and mid post to keep the baseline open.Adelman never wanted to play the way yao and tracy were used to playing, but since they were the best players and the team was winning, he just went with the flow. Now that tracy is gone and yao can't be depended upon, he had a chance to do what he really wanted to do. Triple post/princeton offense with bodies moving and creating angles for scoring. Sure yao will get some chances down low, but it won't be the pound it in as in the past. I've said it before also, yao's presence on defense is needed more on this team than anything offensively he brings besides free throw shooting.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No challenge on the Dwight jumper?

It's early in the game and if you are going to give Orlando shots, you should be giving Dwight 10-footers. The defense was fine for the place and time of the game. He didn't want to take a stupid foul or getting driven on and dunked. Let Howard have the 35% shot.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao looks good. Things like lateral movement and hops will really return for Yao when he has a chance to rest and do some plyometrics....probably next off season. But some will come back now.

16. albuster

albuster Member

He looks much better than I thought he would be at this stage. Stoudemire looked much worse when he first played after his microfracture surgery on his knee.

I am confident of a really good season for the Rockets with Yao back.

17. Francis 4 ever

the lateral movement is troubling.

A odom-gasol combo would run us over.

I still think letting gortat go is morey's biggest folly