1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

*NBA SURVIVOR Round Twentyone*

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by devestata, Aug 10, 2002.

1. mfclark

mfclark Member

Correction; McGrady has done everything for the past two years, regular AND post season, while he has no supporting cast to matchup against triple teams in the playoffs.

Paul Pierce, however, doesn't have that luxury.

Goodbye PP.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

3. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Pierce. McGrady's next.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

From watching TMac and Pierce, the only thing I can honestly say that McGrady can do better than Pierce is dunk. Pierce is a better shooter. They're pretty much even in everything else. So, its pretty close. But, since Pierce managed to lead his team further than McGrady, <b>I vote for TMac</b>. But, I'm glad and little surprised Paul Pierce made it this far. Good work guys! :D

Pierce would be next.

5. Wasabi_sauce

Wasabi_sauce Member

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

But, since Pierce managed to lead his team further than McGrady

:rolleyes:

Yeah and Pierce has some guy named Antoine Walker. Who does McGrady have?

7. Houstone

Houstone Member

Paul Pierce

8. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Incorrect. It's not as if the hornets had all kinds of help for Baron Davis, their only other scorer was Mashburn and he didn't play. McGrady acknowledged after the series that he isn't yet able to take over in the 4th quarter.

People bash Jason Kidd for only being good in the East and not the West. Well, McGrady plays in the East, and he didn't get it done, did he? Please notify me when he carries his team through a playoff series. OTherwise, he and Garnett can head home.

9. DCkid

You mean the guy with the 39% FG%? I think the Celtics do have a better team than the Magic, but like I said, I think Pierce and McGrady are about equal in talent level. I'll give the edge to Pierce since his team was better during the season, they were better during the playoffs, and they had a bigger turnaround from last season. You can give the edge to McGrady because he doesn't play with a guy who jacks up a lot of three's and gets more turnovers than he probably should. Personally, I think my logic in determining which player to vote off is better, but that's just my opinion.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

Please notify me when Paul Pierce does the same.

Orlando has one of the weaker supporting casts in the East. This is a battle of the team, it's a battle of the player.

And McGrady is a better player all-around than Paul Pierce is, no question about it.

11. DCkid

Coming from an Orlando fan! :p

I disagree with this statement. I think its pretty much a wash defensively. McGrady probably should be better because of his length, but from what I've noticed, Pierce seems to be more of a tenacious defender as far as getting in people's faces when they're shooting and sticking on 'em like glue. As far as offense, McGrady is a better finisher, Pierce is a better shooter. So, I think the two of them are even right now, but I do see McGrady being the better of the two in the future.

12. samiz2296

samiz2296 Contributing Member

PP.......... adios

13. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

paul pierce.

14. mav3434

mav3434 Member

He was awesome in the 1st round and his team won. McGrady was awesome (although he hit no big shots) but lost. He was awesome in some games and horrid in others in the 2nd. McGrady was awesome, but he was at home playing NBA 2k2 on PS2 at the time. I'll take an awesome winner over an awesome loser any day.

15. mfclark

mfclark Member

Yeah, I know it's kinda biased, but am I going to come out and admit it when I say it? :)

Pierce is able to be a better defender because he can take more risks than McGrady can. If the risk doesn't work out, Pierce has Antoine Walker and Tony Battie in the post to fall back on. McGrady, however, must play straight up defense and keep the player from getting around him, because if he does - it's almost assuredly a basket.

If the Magic had anyone in the post, even a Tony Battie, I think it would improve McGrady's defensive game. When he didn't have to shoulder the entire burden, he was a killer defensive player, right up there with the elite in the league. I'm hoping that returns next season.

McGrady is a good finisher and Pierce (44% FG, 40% 3pt) a good shoter, yes. However, it's a lot easier to acquire a jumper, as McGrady has (45% FG, 36% 3pt), than to acquire the ability to finish, as the latter is primarily athleticism and size. Pierce's only real advantage is his precision from long range, where he's 4% higher than McGrady.

They are both very good players; obviously, they both made it this far. But team-neutral, I've gotta give the advantage to McGrady. Pierce couldn't do with the Magic what McGrady has done.

16. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Pierce couldn't do with the Magic what McGrady has done.

Bingo.

Do you know who else is a 39% shooter? Allen "God" Iverson

Toine made the A-S team last year, so until I see another A-S on the Magic, the Celtics supporting casts is world's better than the Magic's.

I also remember some guy named Sprewell dropping 49 on Pierce. His defense is very overrated.

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

PP

Hehe...pp....PP..... :D

18. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Paul Pierce. Goodbye.

19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Kobe.

He has to get at least one vote doesn't he. :p Plus, like I stated earlier him & Shaq won 3 consecutive championships, they don't need to win this.

20. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Let's see:

Insults his own teammates to the press during the playoffs.

Declares himself the best player in the series (looked like Baron Davis to me).

Guarantees a victory.

Falls short and isn't even man enough to eat his own words.

Yup. Bye bye Tracy. Your time has come.