1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA One on One Tournament FINAL FOUR 2001

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Jun 8, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Just two games here, so provide some analysis if you want. Here is the bracket:

1. Kobe Bryant
    5. Tim Duncan

1. Vince Carter
    1. Allen Iverson

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

2. The Cat

My votes:

1. Kobe Bryant
    5. Tim Duncan- W

Kobe is a great player, no doubt about it. But, defensively, Duncan is about as versatile as they come, and he can do as good a job on Kobe as many starting shooting guards around the league. His long arms would cause Kobe a lot of headaches. On offense, Duncan is a good ballhandler for a 7 footer, and I don't think Kobe would be able to steal many from him off the dribble. Duncan could beat him at the post up game all day, and play good enough defense to come out with a W.

1. Vince Carter- W
    1. Allen Iverson

Neither one of these players are great defenders, and Iverson has great heart. He should be able to drive and get some shots close to the basket. However, Carter has good quickness on offense and defense, and a 7 inch height disadvantage will be hard for Iverson to overcome. Carter will not only challenge Iverson's quickness on defense, but can post up Allen and shoot over him with his extra length. Furthermore, if either of the two get in trouble and pick up their dribble, Carter is in a better position to shoot over the defender. Great matchup, like Kobe and Duncan, but I have to give the edge to Vince.

------------------

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

3. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

1. Kobe Bryant - W
    5. Tim Duncan
    One-on-one matches tend to not favour big men. Duncan could get some points by simply backing Bryant up and using his wide array of post moves, but he would have to get there first, and Kobe could just take him outside. TD, only because he is so versatile, could make this interesting, but Kobe's game was designed for this tournament. Final score: 21-15.

1. Vince Carter - W
    1. Allen Iverson

This would be one heck of a matchup. Iverson's lightning speed and big heart versus Carter's acrobatics and sheer explosiveness. They will go at each other's necks, until finally, Carter's 6-7 inch advantage will make the difference. Final Score: 24-22.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.

http://www.clutchtown.com

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Kobe-W

I don't care how fast Duncan is for a big man, he will not be able to keep up with Kobe.

Iverson-W

this is kind of a toss up, but once again I'll go with quickness. Plus it would be funny to see Lakers vs sixers in the finals.

------------------
    .,.·^*'´'|'\..........,.·^*'´¯¯¯'`*^·,...,/|'`*^·-,
    '|.......'|::\......,·'.....,.·:*:·,......'`i:'|.......|
    '|.......'|:::|.....;.......':,:::,:·.......';:|.......|
    '|.......|::;i - ·;i'`:,......¯¯.......,·´|::|.......|
    '|.......'´.......'|'i:::`*:~·.–·~^*'´: :'|::|.......'`*·-,
    '|........,.-:^:':'\:'`:;:: :: : : : :: ::;·'i::/`':^·.,......`'i
    '|..,.:'´:::::::::::'\| '`*^~·:–:·~^*'´..'|/:::::::::'`:^:., |
    '´:;:::::::::;:-·^*'´.....................`'*^·:;-.....:;·'
    ....`·;:·'´........................................'`^·:;·´

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Kobe- W

Vince - W

6. Band Geek Mobster

Kobe over Duncan b/c we all know Duncan's a loser. [​IMG]

Carter over Iverson b/c I find no humor in a Kobe-Iverson final... [​IMG]

------------------
    fiugasodfaklfdje2hroq oifeofwo eoirje iowjfqwe weuh3498rhfnf4a x.cjanf ajldmfsdkafjsaj oq ewrheumc. ,voifojm owiefjma lkdjaslkowierf wlhjoeimwe dsjnfojouhfaoo oijf ieopj ldjffaokpiqeiqq n dn kdsf s fwfl awefldf daaelkmfoiqwe a dsafkmds lfkj w asd fa fcsd;a; da; fd;kj d fwijv weopif qop oi qwoifjj

7. The Cat

Carter over Iverson b/c I find no humor in a Kobe-Iverson final

Probably because you know your boy Kobe would get whipped just like in real life. [​IMG]

------------------

8. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

1. Kobe Bryant -- W
    5. Tim Duncan

Duncan would have no chance at all. He's too slow to keep up with Kobe and that little wussy bank shot off the glass just wouldn't cut it in a one-on-one situation like this.

1. Vince Carter
    1. Allen Iverson -- W

It would be a really close match, which is why Iverson would win. AI comes through in the clutch and Carter's a choker.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Carter and Kobe

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited June 08, 2001).]

10. Toast

Toast Member

1. Kobe Bryant -- w
    5. Tim Duncan

1. Vince Carter -- w
    1. Allen Iverson

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Kobe & THE ANSWER

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

12. Steve_Francis_rules

Kobe

Iverson

------------------

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Ya'll are talking about 1 on 1 right, and exclusing treys, right? I played plenty of games against good taller guys, and you can win a few on hot shooting days, but it is darned hard to do it consistently. Tim D could take 5 footers at will against any of the three, while they have to take 15+ footers. But I would take Webber over TD (quicker, better handle) and maybe KG too. KG would be sick in 1 on 1, on both sides of the ball.

14. Heath

Heath Member

1. Kobe Bryant - W
    5. Tim Duncan

I'm not a fan of Kobe, and I got Duncan's shoes, but Kobe is good. Very good. - Sixers be afraid be very afraid.

1. Vince Carter
    1. Allen Iverson - W

I have to go with the MVP for this one. Like the rest of the Sixers squad he got a lot of heart and winner instinct. He is also one of the hardest to guard with his quick first step. Vince is also good, but while Allen is Clutch and elevated his game in the playoffs, Vince did his best to choke.

------------------
    The CC.net NBA Sim Board/Homepage

15. Toast

Toast Member

I think it depends on the height difference. I'll tell you what. I think Duncan vs. Kobe would be MUCH closer than Iverson vs. Carter. I don't see how Iverson could ever stop Carter. He's so small, and there'll be no refs to fall for his flops. Carter defends a couple of Iverson's shots, and it's all over. Carter dunks every time.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

16. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

1. Kobe Bryant w
    5. Tim Duncan

1. Vince Carter
    1. Allen Iverson w

How the hell did Duncan make it this far?

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

It's back...

Protrolls.com!

17. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Kobe Vince.

------------------

18. tozai

tozai Member

the word is:
    Kobe vs Carter
    Duncan too slow, too many bs bank shots, unless he was going to play gay and try backing himself in and shooting layups over kobe
    AI is crazy, but I seriously think he uses the same moves...watch him tonight. One is drive hard with right hand, bring through legs to left and shoot, the other is drive hard with right and bring through from back to left and shoot...anyway carter would win

Carter wins all

------------------

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Kobe W
    Duncan

Iverson W
    Carter

I don't think Duncan would be able to get it done on offense. It might be a long, slow game, but Kobe would eventually win.

Iverson-Carter would probably be the total opposite of the other game. Iverson would win simply because his shot is better than Carter's. I don't think the height differential would be much of a factor here.

------------------
    Now saw off...there's nothing to see here.

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Kobe Bryant - W
    5. Tim Duncan

Tim Duncan has handles, and is quick enough to manuever himself down into the low block, so he shouldn't have difficutly getting some scoring opportunities. But I think, in the end, Kobe will simply be too fast for ol' Timmah, and his outside shooting and excellent turnarounds will win it.

1. Vince Carter
    1. Allen Iverson - W

Much of the same reasoning here as to why Iverson wins. No one, and I mean NO ONE can hold Iverson 1-1. Some might argue that this is true of Carter as well, but I have not seen it, so I will go with what I know. A post up game by Carter would be very helpful here, but I again have not seen enough evidence from Carter that he has good enough moves in the post to win. Iverson takes it.

------------------
    CC.NET Sim League Web Page
    My Team (Sonics)

Runnin', Ravin', Endin', Out.