1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Nicknames

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JayZ750, Feb 25, 2003.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

First there's this about Amare Stoudemire:

"Intense search underway to find this Rookie of the Year candidate a nickname. Suns broadcaster Tom Leander refers to him as “The Original” and Suns.com columnist Joe Gilmartin simply calls him “The Kid.”

Also, in a ESPN chat today there was this:

"Harry (torrance, ca): You are definitely the man for this question!!! What has happened to all of the good nicknames? Are the days of Doctor, Magic, Pearl, Pistol, Air, and my all time favorite, Iceman past? Are we to be satisfied with Stevie Franchise or Vincanity? Or worse, CDub, TMac, JWill? And if we use those, then why not PEw? Where is the creativity?

Stuart Scott: Yo H-Torman, you make a good point, i hadn't thought about. Nicknames now are either just one name (like Kobe) or unoriginals like (t-mac). Sam Perkins nick (Big Smooth) is pretty solid. I like "The Answer," that's a good one, but so many people still call him A.I. Tell you what H-Torman, come up with some and let me know."

Nicknames have gone down the gutter, to be sure. Personally, I like Sergeant Stoudemire, as this perfectly describes his take charge game. And for Yao, I think Chairman Yao is solid.

Anyone have any good ideas for new nicknames for Stoudemire or other players?

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Stud-Amor
    Studadmire

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

what's wrong with stevie franchise and vinsanity?? those are great word plays on their names. now tmac/cwebb nicks are weak. but the first two are solid. or do they have to completely not involve their names. magic is amazing b/c his nick freakin became his name. how do you do that?

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Who will be the Air to the throne?

I'll go with Stevie Franchise...

5. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

How bout:

Delay of Game - For someone who makes a big dunk or play, and the crowd goes nuts bringing the game to a pause.. therefore a player who can do that would be called "Delay of Game". LOL huh huh niceee ehh??

Streetsweeper - For someone who would sweep a player off their feet in the lane. Taking the trash off the court by a nice move for the player to be known as "The Streetsweeper" hehe man im good!

well those were pretty weak but im going to name some nicknames for some Rockets players who have weak nicknames.

Francis - Stevie Franchise - Franchise is a good nickname so no changes are needed.

Mobley - The Cat - fits him well so no changes needed.

Posey - J-Po? NO way.. it should be "Picket Fence" cause he's always picking off steals and playing Defense! Man where do i come up with these nicknames :confused:

Eddie Griffin - Fast Eddie??? naahh lets give him "G-Block" or "The Blockbuster" cause of course hes always Blockin' :cool:

Yao Ming - Ming Dynasty? The Dynasty? It could be better if he was "D-Nasty" ;)

Maurice - Mo-Tay? - How bout.. Maurice "The Thick" Taylor or "Mo-Tacular" .. yessss

Hawkins - Hawk is ok.. but i think "Paws" is better.. he always has his paws on every balls. "Paw-Ball" ?

Tito - The Troll -<< he looks like a troll fits him well

Kelvin Cato - "Arm n Hammer" He pulls the goal down with his arm like a hammer on them dunks!!

ok ill stop now.

6. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

I personally like Baron Davis' -- B Diddy

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Atari Studebaker.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I don't think it's the players fault that they get stuck with these lame nicknames, ESPN just runs with them so much that people forget other nicknames they have.

Remember when Francis was known as Wink. that's a good name.

Tracy McGrady is called "the big sleep" by his teammates.

Kevin Garnett was "the kid" before Stoudamire, and he's also known as the "big ticket."

Shaq, sounds ok, but if that doesn't do it for you, try this: Diesel

Walt Williams is the Wizard.

Trajan Langdon is the Alaksin Assassin

Stacey Augmon is Plastic Man

Payton is the Glove

Dennis Rodman was the Worm

Fred Hoiberg is the Mayor

Shawn Kemp was once the Reignman

Chuck Person is Rifleman

Vin Baker is A-Train- no relation to our A-Train

Brent Barry is Bones

Richard Hamilton is Rip

Jerome Williams Junk Yard Dog

Emanual Davis is E-Mail

Malone The Mailman

Corliss Williams Big Nasty

Ben Wallace The Beast

As for nick names becoming first names:

Penny Hardaway, Mookie Blaylock, Bimbo Coles, and Bo Outlaw.

10. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Lets not forget that was originally Mario Elie's nickname ;)

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Sorry, I was trying to name current guys. Also, Super Mario always comes to mind when I think of Mario Elie.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

No, Vin Baker is The Doughboy

"A-Train" belongs to the one, the only Artis Gilmore

[​IMG]

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

And all this time I thought you were a Prince Albert fan!

[​IMG]

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Actually, my clutchcity name has absolutely no meaning to me except that it just sounds cool...

15. New Jack

New Jack Member

I think Stoudamire already has a nickname; STAT (Standing Tall And Talented). He's got it tatooed to his arm.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The problem with nicknames nowadays is that people try too hard to give players nicknames and make them stick. Nicknames have always been and should be assigned by a person's friends and family, not the impersonal masses of the fans, or worse the mouthpieces of corporations like ESPN and Nike. Cat and Wink are both good nicknames because they were assigned by friends in the respective players' childhoods, not forced upon them by fans and TV like Stevie Franchise.

17. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

LOL. good one.:D

18. STT414

STT414 New Member

My favorites are Reignman and The Glove.. And I don't even like the Sonics, which is odd that those 2 are my favorites.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Someone needs to explain to Amare that this nickname sucks.

20. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I always thought it was cool how all Hakeem's teammates referred to him by his nickname, "Dream".