1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA GOATs Matchup1 WEST

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by RedNation, Jun 24, 2012.

1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

This is the first matchup in the Western conference. The judging criteria is based on the following:

Frontcourt- Who has the better FC

Backcourt- Who has the better BC

Bench- WHo has the better bench

Offense- Which team has the better overall team offense. Which teams offense would run smoother and be more effective.

Defense- Which team plays better defense? This includes team defense as well as individual defense

Chemistry- which team would have better chemistry and work together better. For example, a team full of scorers who like to keep the ball in their hands wouldn't work very well.

Based on these categories, you will determine the winner. IN THE END, WHO WILL WIN A 7 GAME SERIES

The first matchup features:

howcansheslap

pg:tiny archibald
    sg: jerry west
    sf: elgin baylor
    pf: elvin hayes
    C: george mikan

BENCH
    vernon maxwell
    alex english
    mark eaton

VS.
    fallenphoenix
    PG: Bob Cousy
    SG: Ray Allen
    SF: John Havlicek
    PF: Dave Cowens
    C: Wilt Chamberlain
    Bench:
    PG: Fat Lever
    SG/SF: Bob Dandridge
    PF/C: Tom Chambers

#1 RedNation, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RedNation again.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Frontcourt- Who has the better FC

Tiny Archibald and Bob Cousy would be a great battle in the backcourt.
    I would give the advantage to West over Ray Ray.

Thus, slight advantage to howcansheslap.

Backcourt- Who has the better BC

Baylor > Havlicek
    The Big E > Cowens
    Mikan < Wilt the Stilt

Wilt is a game-changer. Can he provide enough of an advantage to offset the edge howcansheslap has at the sf and pf positions? I say yes! But only slightly...so advantage fallenphoenix here.

Bench- WHo has the better bench

I love the addition of Vernon Maxwell, but I would think that better players than him and Eaton were available in all-time NBA draft. I'm giving the slight advantage to fallenphoenix, but I'm not too fond of his bench either with the exception of Fat Lever.

Offense- Which team has the better overall team offense. Which teams offense would run smoother and be more effective.

Howcansheslap has more overall offensive talent than fallenphoenix with his bc and fc all being potential double-double threats every night.

Defense- Which team plays better defense? This includes team defense as well as individual defense

I like the defensive talent coming off of howcansheslap's bench, but I'm giving the slight advantage to fallenphoenix due to him having Wilt.

Chemistry- which team would have better chemistry and work together better. For example, a team full of scorers who like to keep the ball in their hands wouldn't work very well.

Advantage here again goes to fallenphoenix. Cousy and Havlicek both played together and Wilt is from the same era. That gives him a small advantage over howcansheslap.

Based on these categories, you will determine the winner. IN THE END, WHO WILL WIN A 7 GAME SERIES

This would be a very close series, but, in a surprise pick, I think howcansheslap's team would win in 7 games. His overall offensive firepower would propel him to victory in a highly contested series.

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Kwame again.

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Howcansheslap leads 1-0

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

When it's close go with whatever team has the best player on it's team.(See Playoffs last year.) Gotta go with Wilt here, FallenPhoenix.

7. RedNation

Please elaborate. :) see kwame

8. IzakDavid13

Series tied 1-1

9. IzakDavid13

Bump for judges

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Tiny vs. Cousy: Both highly skilled guards and floor generals, but I take Tiny because of his modern game, scoring and athleticsm.

West vs. Allen: Both deadly shooters and overall scorers, but I see West as the better overall player and defender.

->backcourt: howcansheslap wins this with his starters, Vernon and Lever are a wash.

Elgin vs. Havlicek: Uh wee, great battle. Have to give the advantage to Baylor because of rebounding and his incredible offense.

Hayes vs. Cowens: Hayes wins because of athleticsm and versatility.

Mikan vs. Wilt: Wilt destroys Mikan with his size and athleticsm, not close.

->frontcourt: Really close, I see slap being more dangerous with his SF and PF. Is Wilt alone enough to win this? I don't think so, looking at the success of Wilt's teams, he didn't help his teams when it mattered. Advantage to slap.

Conclusion: I see slap winning because of the more athletic and versatile guys, his team is made for transition and quick passing.

11. IzakDavid13

Howcansheslap 2-1

12. IzakDavid13

13. VBG

VBG Member

Frontcourt-

Cousy is slightly better than Tiny. Jerry West is better than Ray Allen. Very even but I would say that Tiny + Jerry West slightly edges out Ray + Cousy.

Backcourt-

Hondo and Baylor are close to even. Both Cowens and Elvin Hayes do all of the little thigns. I think Hayes is slightly better as a defender and leader. However, Wilt demolishes Mikan. Mikan is solid but Wilt is Wilt.

Bench-

Both benches are meh. I guess FAt Lever is the best bench player. About even.

Offense-

Might have some post offense difficulty against Wilt for howcansheslap.

Fallen has sorrounded Wilt with amazing shooters.

Fallen with the advantage

Defense-

Wilt gives Fallen the advantage

Chemistry-

Probably should be Howcansheslap. Wilt wasn't the greatest teammate. Hayes was a fantastic leader. West and Baylor played together.

Fallen in 6

14. VBG

VBG Member

For some reason I read Elvin Hayes as Wes Unseld for some stupid reason. Doesn't change my vote.

15. RedNation

howcansheslap wins 2-1

16. Jamers

Jamers Member

it's 2-2 actually

17. RedNation

Does rolayat's 2 line judgement count?

18. Jamers

Jamers Member

he's a judge lol.. i think so

19. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Frontcourt:

I don't know who George Mikan is (I really don't know how to judge him), but George Mikan is in trouble.

I also like Chamberlain's support in the frontcourt.

fallenphoenix

Backcourt:

I don't know Cousy. I like Lever coming off the bench (he'll probably play more than Cousy) and Havlicek, Allen, and Dandridge. However, West, English, Baylor, and Archibald are definitely more talented.

howcansheslap

Bench:

English, Eaton, and Maxwell vs. Dandridge, Lever, and Chambers

Don't know why Maxwell is in this league, but I do like English and Eaton against Wilt. But, Dandridge, Lever, and Chambers are too good.

fallenphoenix

Offense:

I think fallenphoenix's team could be a great fastbreak team. Cousy and Lever led great fast-paced teams. Havlicek and Dandridge played on them. Pretty much everyone on that team did except for Allen, but he can adjust. In the half-court it's Wilt.

I don't know what happens with howcansheslap's team. I imagine a ton of isolations and not much ball and player movement.

fallenphoenix

Defense:

West, Eaton, and Maxwell are the standouts with howcansheslap. fallenphoenix has Havlicek, Chamberlain, Lever, Cowens, and Dandridge. How does this translate to team defense? Add Allen for Dandridge and fallenphoenix can run that team out there during crunch time. That'd be his best lineup in all phases of the game, including defense and rebounding.

fallenphoenix

Chemistry:

I just can't see howcansheslap's team getting the most out of most of its players. Everyone on that team was a big time scorer/ball handler except for Eaton and Maxwell who won't play much. fallenphoenix, on the other hand, has several catch-and-shoot players, fast-break players, hustle guys, and one really big time scorer with two point guards that know how to get them the ball.

fallenphoenix

WHO WILL WIN A 7 GAME SERIES:

West carries them to a couple of wins but fallenphoenix takes this in 6, IMO.

20. IzakDavid13

FallenPhoenix leads 3-2... one win away.

It is first to 4, right? Best of 7.