1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Dunk Leaders (Surprising)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T FOR 3!!!, Mar 28, 2014.

1. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Every year for a while now, I have taken an interest in which players lead the league in dunks. I found a dunk counter on CBS that actually kept track of every players dunk count. Over the past several years they have cut back to only count players within the top 50, but since I started keeping track I have never seen a Rocket player within the top 10. I think Omer was in the top 30 last year, but any half-athletic 7 footer should be.

Right now the Rockets have TWO players within the top 10. Dwight is #2 and TJ is #8. One of the reasons Terrence Jones is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. The names ahead of him- Lebron, KD, Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, Drummond, Dwight and DeAndre. That's what kind if company he's in when it comes to playing above the rim.

Interestingly enough, the two teams we struggle with the most- Thunder & Clippers are the only other two teams in the league with two players inside the Top 10... See for yourself.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/stats/dunk-o-meter

Just to sum things up. This is THE MOST HIGHFLYING/EXCITING team the Rockets have had since ClutchCity. I'm REALLY REALLY looking forward to the next couple years of watching this team play!

1 person likes this.
  2. bmd

bmd Member

I've said this before.. the teams the Rockets struggle with the most have very physical front courts.

Thunder, Clippers, Grizzlies.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think you mean athletic. A lot of these dunks aren't coming from aggressive play or style. OKC's leaders are Durant and Ibaka. With the Grizz, it's mostly due to them slowing down our pace.

4. bmd

bmd Member

Both. Physical and athletic. Gasol and Z-Bo aren't particularly athletic, but they wreck shop down low when they play the Rockets.

There are only a few teams who have players that can match the Rockets' front court in athleticism or physicality. When Dwight and Jones can't muscle people around or play higher above the rim, they struggle.

5. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

ZBo is physical, but he uses positioning and quick leaping ability to get 2nd and 3rd chance tips. Same for Ibaka(only 6 reb per game but almost half are oreb), DJ and Griffin they out quick our guys to get lose balls or come out of nowhere to block shots.

Howard and I think Asik get a lot of uncontested rebounds. If the ball bounces funny or little bit away from the rim they usually get beat by quicker players to the ball.

6. conquistador#11

spoil of riches. seems like just yesterday Bud was our best dunker.

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

9. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

lololol I wonder how you feel about that now having seen him get his soft a$$ shi!t rejected a billion times down low.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Flush City sounds more like Clutch and Crush.

But it also sounds like, well, you know

11. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Jones was tearing it up at the time, and did so again in spurts last year. I think D-Mo or trade (Anderson,Horford) is our future... I still want Jones to turn it on though. When he's playing with the right energy/health he's a ton of fun to watch.

12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

And now that I see your name, I finally see what everyone is talking about with the random D-Mo v. Jones discussions that take over threads.. yikes!

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

Minute leaders:

Minutes Per Game
    1. James Harden ▪ HOU 39.4
    2. Victor Oladipo ▪ ORL 38.7
    3. Ty Lawson ▪ HOU 38.6
    4. Anthony Davis ▪ NOP 38.2
    Marcus Morris ▪ DET 38.2

Ouch..

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Need to cut hardens minutes

15. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Lol is that all u cared about dunks?t Jones need to get more rebounds and learn how to box out

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

come on beverley get healthy and cut down on these minutes from harden and lawson................

17. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

More important that Dmo get healthy. They will give Harden more rest if they have someone else they feel comfortable running the offense through. Dmo post ups and Lawson/Dmo pick and pop are productive sets we can run with Harden on the bench.