1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NBA All-Time Draft 2014

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by YourSecretLover, Feb 12, 2014.

1. VBG

VBG Member

2. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Vbg
    Jvu

I'm still deciding on the other matchup

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

My defense is better though, so vote for me, brehs.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

jvu vs. rednation -- undecided. I thought it would be one sided but this TMac idea was interesting. Talent wise, it looks even now. And with two great passing big men, I don't know why it wouldn't work pretty well. Unusual. But lots of size, lots of athleticism, very versatile offense. They can run, post up, pick and roll, shoot, make athletic plays. And they will sure have mismatches.
    Their big weakness to me is Bill Walton's frame, can they at all defend a true low post beast, but Russell won't take advantage of that.
    On the other hand, jvu will struggle with some mismatches but he has more speed, a bit more shooting, a bit more passing probably. Parker or AI will be a pain to defend for any of Red's starters, and Dirk in his prime caused his share of issues to KG.

vbg -- two great teams, Hakeem-Robinson matchup stands out because of their history, but the PF matchup stands out as well, even more so IMO. By the way, these are two of prime Barkley's playoff games vs. Kemp: 44-24 on .741 TS, 43-15-10 on .801 TS. Just a beast. Kemp is off the bench here, but he's a much better defender than Aldridge, so I don't imagine Aldridge would do very well.
    Anyway, if VBG had like Blake Griffin instead of Chuck, I'd pick Yung-T without thinking much. But with Barkley, I pick VBG.

oelman -- a close one, talent wise Jmc has a better bench and probably a more talented frontline. Oelman has a better backcourt IMO, and a much better defense. Jmc's inside defense is pretty poor, Oelman's is great everywhere. Overall, I'd take Oelman by a hair.
    By the way, Big O had the ball in his hands even more than CP3 does, he had the ball like 80% of the time, a very ball dominant player. I'm not 100% sure about him as a SG here, but he's smart, unselfish so I would give benefit of the doubt in this case.

Horry -- I think Kareem is kind of soft, and Shaq outplays him here. In general, that Wilt-Shaq combo is scary, although if Horry plays Webber, I'm not sure if Wilt can defend him well. Wilt had size, length and he had moments later in his career where he successfully rotamed around and defended further away from the basket. But overall he didn't have that mentality in his prime, he's an inside shot blocker who doesn't go too far and doesn't move very well side to side.
    Overall, I think Shaq goes off, Jamers wins the boards (although if Rodman is starting maybe not), but I think Horry's perimeter advantage makes an even bigger difference here.

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i meant to type either "roamed" or "rotated" here, heh.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

RedN
    Tizzle
    Jmc, so tough to decide, i went with the better bench.
    Horry

1 person likes this.
  8. VBG

VBG Member

Will vote in a little bit. Really hungover right now. Need some food before I can really think.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

jvu
    VBG
    oelman
    Jamers

1 person likes this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

RedN
    Oelman
    Horry

People here seem to really undervalue RedN's players in their prime. Walton paired with KG would make for great defense, athleticsm, passing and versatility. T-Mac as Point could really Do damage on Parker, same with Clyde on Allen. Don't really see how jvu would defend in this matchup, he would have serious problems in my opinion.

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Biggest takeaway from this draft is that everyone values big men so much more than any other position in the draft. Perhaps it was my down fall only have deke and Reed.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think your mistake was trading down, it's generally not worth to go for depth it since all times are so deep anyway. Better to have more of the top players. I made the same mistake in my first all-time as well. I could've had Jordan-Barkley if I remember correctly, I ended up sacrificing Barkley for a more all around quality in the starting lineup, and looking back that wasn't a good plan.

You reached for some players I guess, and yes, Reed-Mutombo isn't an impressive big men combo (I don't like Reed much at PF, quick hands, slow feet). But I think trading down is what hurt you more than anything.

As for big men, well, size helps sometimes but many of the really huge teams end up backfiring.

In general, it's a bit of a crapshoot, people value players very differently. Like, I would draft Shaq top 3, I think his prime was that good. But I read people saying he's a borderline top 10 pick a few drafts ago. Mad differences.
    I guess that's why Hakeem nearly always goes no.2. Not that he's such a clear 2nd best player or even a clear top 5 player, but Rockets fans obviously have more of a consensus about him, it's a safe pick.

13. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Hopefully I go a bit better next draft, is this a regular thing to always have a draft going or is it every once in a while?

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Depends on who's down for it, I'd start a new one after this draft

15. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I shoulda took moses and pippen.

1 person likes this.
  16. VBG

VBG Member

I think there's a bigger gap between elite bigs and people you pick up later vs elite wings and what you pick up later.

Deke and Reed is simply too weak of a frontcourt for an all time draft. It's relatively slow too.

I would probably draft Jordan, Magic, Shaq top 3. With Magic, you have to get a good run and gun team going. With Jordan everything works. With Shaq, you can do either depending on Orlando or Lakers Shaq.

17. VBG

VBG Member

Vote RedNation

For most teams, the Dirk pick and roll with Iverson or Tony Parker would be devastating. Here, a T-Mac - Kevin Garnett pairing on that pick and roll defense would be very effective at slowing it down. Moncrief when he's in too. Having so much size will be beneficial for RedNation. There's no real one player for Pippen to shut down as all 3 starters can initiate offense on their own for RedNation.

This is a close one but its just so hard to go against the defense that oelman throws out there. JMC has a significant advantage coming off the bench. But I'm still gonna go with oelman's defense. I don't think having both CP3 and Big O next to each other is quite optimal. Both will do a lot of damage on the pick and roll though. Just that defense man. Even though I don't believe in Paul George's offense at all in an all time scenario. He just has to run in transition and hit 3s which he can do.

Vote oelman

Wilt + Shaq is just too physically imposing. Both could kind of frustrate Kareem a little at least. But I still don't like Nash as the best fit on this team. A slow it down team with a speed it up PG. Gonna go Horry because his team would be hilariously clutch. Jamers lacks the perimeter athletes or size to really take advantage of Horry's biggest weakness.

Vote Horry33

18. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I really like the dynamic of picking a losers players. It was fun and strategic!

19. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

vbg:4- yungt:3
    oelman:4- jmc:2
    horry:4- jamers-1
    RedNation:3-jvu:3

20. jvu

jvu Member

Bang bang bababeeeh! Dang another game for me! Props to redN for being a rosktaker and starting Tmac at the point