1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[National Review] Fox News hurts the Conservative Movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dc rock, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A- TBH, I get my fill of garbage pop media through this forum. The Kardies are so repellant, I want nothing to do with their presence and am openly hostile to people who do. The people propping them up are like recreational drug addicts to me.

B- I avoid CNN/MSNBC/FOX like the plague. Entertainment news is here to stay. A couple of decades ago, 60 Minutes made network execs realize that good news could be profitable, but in light of those profits, journalism became commoditized. Maybe it was an inevitable trend.

The fact that the <s>journalists</s> news personalities from the Big Three are now part and parcel to movie or TV cameos, where they report fake news on fake stories as real news anchors, is a tacit admission that they aren't journalists in the traditional mold without the civic sense of trust and integrity.

With cord cutters, everyone is feeling the pinch and fear of getting outscooped or becoming an obsolete medium.

For "Big Developments", I typically stay away from research bombing until a week or two after the incident. One begins to observe that half-truths and outright lies sometimes aren't corrected or redacted despite things pointing to the contrary. Is follow up really that expensive and value-less? If the people don't care after the news cycle ends, does the story as it continues to evolve still matter?

So yeah, publications that do follow up or generate analysis are examples of good journalism alive today. Analysis could be in the form of op/eds, but if they're cited and honest where they stand, then it's that respect for the reader to decide on their own on how far they're willing to think and understand.

Among them are sites like Christian Science Monitor,politico, NPR Economist, washington post, Times, and the Week. The last three gets flak for bias, but they have reported on the Hillary Pay for Play scandals, for example with their own research into the allegations detailed in the Clinton Cash book. It's just that many people don't have the time or bandwidth to go deeper.

C- I've only gotten my garbage about Kap from here. That "incident" is more about abusing his status as a minority elite sports figure in order to land a higher contract than any noble effort in lifting up or bringing awareness to disadvantaged classes...a rich man's Royce White.

D- You can't expect television to take a stand on anything that makes the public feel empowered to do something. It feels like there's only shame, distrust, fear and anger being peddled between commercials designed to make you feel inadequate or unfulfilled.

There are journalists who have provided some good responses, but they are hard answers to a question without a quick and easy resolution.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Late Post

Conservative values has ALWAYS worked better for talk radio, and for news as well. With radio, shows saying "We Need to CHANGE From the OLD Ways" comes across negatively as "Everything SUCKS" rebellion.

It doesnt appeal to sensibilities as much as saying "What is GOING ON in this World Today, What Happened To Our VALUES?" Plenty people dont like change in any way of life. Makes perfect sense that itd extend to the TV news medium.

Nowadays though there's certifiable OBVIOUS RIDICULOUSNESS on BOTH sides that it does lessen the Conservative edge on credibility, where it gives more "Moderate" to liberal programming a chance. Though a TV comedy show, its how Daily Show came to be. (Yes a group will try to expand its presense no matter what, but its helped along BY existence of plentiful nonsense to talk against )

Pretty much it. Everything is an "echo chamber" now of people finding OTHER LIKE-MINDED PEOPLE to group themselves with.

Internet was supposed to offer objectivity to expose people to BOTH sides. (And it does) But people ACTUALLY use it to just REINFORCE what they ALREADY believe. Pulling in wads of info that supports their views not taking time to see anything against them. (And when they DO see that info, they'll just gripe and scream that our ways are "under attack'"!)

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

JeffB likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there is a degree of bias though. The NY Times tilts to the left these days but it used to be considered too conservative by liberals. Still, it's far more truthful than Fox news and definitely more than crazy sites like Beitbart which is just outright fake.

If you want the truth you have to look at credible sources on both sides. I look at the National Review for the conservative point of view, and read the Atlantic, NPR, and the Economist for more centrist, and things like Propublica for the left point of view. I trust the NY Times and CNN for the facts because they are accurate there. For me I am pretty good at dismissing the bias on a source and just pic up on the facts. What I notice is that Fox is most guilty of is speculation. I see it with CNN as well.

JeffB likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I just think conservatives are less aware that they might live in a bubble than liberals.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Musicians and actors take the role on the left that Fox News does on the right. They were first movers on social issues and ahead of the rest of society by about a generation or so, they're also the easiest target for their perceived detachment due to being purportedly dumb and rich.