1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[National Review] Fox News hurts the Conservative Movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dc rock, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

National Review did a great job critiquing Trump at the start of the primaries and trying to preempt his rise. Even though Buckley already disavowed it in interviews, this certainly "makes up" for his (and the publication's) having opposed Civil Rights in the '50s and '60s.

Unfortunately this will probably paint them into even more of a corner. TV news, cable news, radio commentary and the internet all leap-frogged print journalism in terms of relevance, and in particular with politics.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think this is true anymore. You have an outdated view.

Conservatives are far more active on social media for example. I think there has been tremendous change in the last 5-10 years

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Exactly! Its not to say they do not use digital content. Older people are not actively using twitter, chat forums, ect...

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

howbout peeps who get their news on social media?

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Fox news might change and become more main stream, that is part of the reason Roger Ailes was kicked out as CEO of Fox, the Murdoch sons apparently wants to be less extreme. Of course everything is rumor, so we will just see in the future what happens.

7. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

It sucks that almost every major news source is biased, you have to weed through all this bull**** to get a tiny amount of facts. Anybody have an unbiased news source recommendation?

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I totally agree with the article and would add talk radio in there as well. They are both completely eliminating the desire for conservatives to think for themselves. "Watch and listen to my show and buy my book(s)...I'll tell you how to think...and make a boatload of money doing it."

What the conservative movement needs is more William F Buckleys and less Shawn Hannitys.

9. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is a bit sad that the only part of Buckley's legacy that seems to continue is his insulting, condescending, confrontational style on television. But even in that, modern shouting heads aren't nearly as clever.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

George Will always impresses me with his writing and commentary. Amongst the radio talk show hosts, I find Bill Bennett to be decent and respectful in his views even if I don't agree. Hugh Hewitt mostly seems respectful of his listeners. Though I still mostly think of him as a movie reviewer, Michael Medved also seems to respect his listeners. And on most occasions, I'd even put BOR in this group.

Contrast that to Rush, Hannity, Levin and Savage. And Malkin and Coulter. Sure, I disagree with most if not all they say. But they also seem like horrible people. Politics aside... they just seem nasty, unreasonable people.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Seems like some media outlets have concluded that Trump is unfit for the presidency and are fulfilling their patriotic duty to ensure he gets nowhere near the White House.

12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

The difference between the first group and the second, is that the first group doesn't have the large following amongst uneducated people the second has. And because of that the first group has to rely on boring old ideas rather that ALL CAPS SENSATIONALISM about WHO Bill and Hillary will KILL next!!!!

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Fox News is run on superglue and duct tape. They've made a business with style and controversy and hide behind malpractice of integrity through negligence and beating/"outscooping" it's competition.

It's the main source for social Conservatives on TV, but it isn't the only source in media. The commentary seems directed at the symptoms rather than the root cause. They need fresh blood, fresh eyes, and even fresher brains, which is difficult for a group deeply rooted in hierarchy.

The Con "movement" has been slowly digesting Reagan's 30 year old remains and splattering out whatever remnants it can faithfully or utterly digest.

Quit trying to break through Space Ghost's simplistic pigeonholes.

#33 Invisible Fan, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Pretty much anyone that is not in a super conservative cocoon can see this.

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Fox News has created a safe space for conservative politicians and viewers.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I know a hell of a lot of "older people," being one myself, and you are wildly off-base with your opinion (why am I not surprised?), at least based on the "older people" I know, some older than me, and avid users of the internet, as I am.

17. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

As a conservative myself I would have been very surprised had the study shown anything but the results it came upon. There are nuggets of good and decent information from FoxNews. Unfortunately they come along rarely so most of what you get is a bunch of crap. Too bad there isn't a conservative version of CNN, as they are closest to the center(albeit to the left). Sadly in today's political climate while most everyday people would fall somewhere in the middle half of the spectrum, most news outlets tend to hang in the outer quarters catering to the most extreme on both ends.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Honest question...what do you consider valuable news or things that should be reported on?

There are different outlets I consider good reporting for certain things, but I would likely have different preferences for what I pay attention to.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Because you are a 'gotcha' type of guy. Previously I stated 'generally'. You're the type of person who prefers to find the differences with someone you disagree with instead of the common. To be fair, thats with most people here.

But yes, you are absolutely correct. The majority of 50 and 60 year olds are engaging on online forums and being proactive with social media like yourself. :rolleyes: Im wrong again, Deckard. As always. Even when im right.

20. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Well, for starters anything related to Kardashians or the like should not be taking up air time on any proper news site. There are plenty of TMZ types for that fluff.

Basically most sites/stations report based on the agenda for their station. You won't see Fox News criticizing Trump for his 2nd amendment comments, nor will you see CNN criticizing Hillary for the classified information fiasco. They are generally reporting on the same stuff but the angles make you think they are reporting on something different. I usually wait quite a while to make my opinions after sifting thru the same story from all the angles.

Like the Kapaernick thing. My conclusion I finally settled on several days after the event. 1. Worthy protest. Minorities do not receive the same treatment from police on the average(some places are better or worse than others). 2. Poor method of protest. IMO the flag/anthem doesn't have a whole lot to do with minorities not getting the benefit of the doubt when interacting with police, especially when it's different all across the country.
    3. Why isn't the media taking up that mantle and talking about ways to fix it. 4. The absolution of the memes floating about don't do anything to help the situation. Disgusting.