1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nate Thurmond passes away at age 74

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nate Thurmond passed away this morning at the age of 74. He was voted one of the NBA's 50 Greatest and also is credited with the first quadruple double ever officially recorded in the NBA.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/warriors-legend-nate-thurmond-passes-away-at-age-of-74/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nate Thurmond, voted one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history, died this morning in San Francisco. He was 74 <a href="https://t.co/AoOIOskGoA">pic.twitter.com/AoOIOskGoA</a></p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/754375047717027841">July 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

He had by far the best physique in NBA history too.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Nate the Great-- kind of over-shadowed by Wilt and Russell but he was a force in his own right.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Controversial but there was a couple articles back stating that this man is a distant relative of Lebron James. Possibly his biological paternal grandfather..

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

When Wilt was traded from the Dubs they almost immediately played mano a mano in a doubleheader game at MSG. Yes, young fellers and gals, there once upon a time were NBA doubleheaders! I was there and witnessed one of the single most entertaining match-ups I have ever seen. Ever!

I have no recollection of the 2nd game featuring the Knixies but I remember the war those two put on. They were ferocious - - and clean. Nate didn't give an inch.

Rest in peace, big guy, I was a fan of yours forever after that nite!

2 people like this.
  6. macho87

macho87 Member

"Who?"

-warrior "fans"

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ouch, but so true. LOL.

RIP to to the great Nate Thurmond! What a crazy and sad year it has been for sports and music greats.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

RIP LeBron's dad

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I agree all these bandwagon jumping Warrior fans have no clue who this guy is and he is one of the best defensive centers in the history of the league.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The man was a beast. RIP.

12. the shark

the shark Member

Remember him and Jabbar going at it. Sad day. RIP Nate!

13. MONON

MONON Member

One of my all time favs. RIP big guy.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One of my favorite players of all time. Hugely skilled at a time when centers were expected to just be big, grab rebounds, and block shots.

I wouldn't be too harsh on current Warrior fans. Thurmond was closely associated with the team and was very visible in the local community. Was also always at games (much like the Dream at ours). Had a great BBQ restaurant too.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

That guy looks like Lebron.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

Nate thurmond was born in Akron, Ohio same as LeBron. Had a house down the street from where LeBron James grew up.

LeBron doesn't know who his father is. A guy named Anthony McClelland claimed to be his biological father, but there was no DNA match.

It's been a theory for a while that Nate Thurmond is LeBron's real father.

The receding hairline, the nose, the body build, the close proximity to each other.

Fun to think about.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Averaged 20/20 for an entire season... and a few more where he was close. Decent FT shooter for a center.

RIP Nate

18. tksense

tksense Member

That is impossible if the fan has a TV. Nate is one of the analyst in their local broadcast.

So not exactly ouch yet. Guy seems very pleasant on TV.

19. split41

split41 Member

That's super interesting. Definitely fun to speculate. It is strange that his father hasn't come forward given how wealthy and famous LBJ is, so adds to the theory I suppose.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i've obviously heard the name nate thurmond a lot and i'm sure he's been in wilt/kareem highlights i've seen, but i don't know if i've ever seen nate thurmond highlights before. man he looks strong. i wouldn't want to have to box him out for 48 minutes.

RIP