1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name your top 5 college RB, WR, TE, OL to watch this year.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Possum, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Possum

Possum Member

The Texans are most likely to use their top draft pick on offense next year. I would like to see who you think are the top players to watch.

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

The best receiver is Charles Rogers from Michigan State. Running back is hard to chose because the best ones are all underclassmen. The best senior RB is Lee Suggs.

3. Possum

Possum Member

I have only seen Willis McGahee of Miami play 1 time but he really impressed me.
    Running Back | #2 | Junior | Age: 20
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 224 lbs.

DATE & OPP ATT YDS AVG TD REC YDS AVG TD
    8/31 Florida A&M 6 60 10.0 1 0 0 0.0 0
    9/7 @Florida 24 204 8.5 0 1 10 10.0 0
    9/14 @Temple 21 134 6.4 4 3 33 11.0 0
    9/21 BC 17 135 7.9 2 3 86 28.7 0

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Great thread topic.

RBs-
    Clarence Farmer Arizona Jr.
    Greg Jones FSU Jr.
    Lee Suggs Virginia Tech Sr.
    Onterrio Smith Oregon Jr.
    William McGahee Miami Jr.

These RBs are solid, but not great. Smith might be the best all-around RB in this group.

WRs-
    Charles Rogers Mich State Jr.
    Kelley Washington Tennessee So. (but draft eligible)
    Roy Williams Texas Jr.
    Andre Johnson Miami Jr.
    Bernard Berrian Fresno State Sr.

By far, the best position in the draft. Rogers, Washington, and Williams would all be the best WR in their draft class, if they weren't stuck in the same draft (assuming they all leave). All 3 are possess awesome speed and size. Rogers might need to add a little more weight, but he has excellent concentration in his ability to adjust to the ball.

TEs-
    Teyo Johnson Stanford Jr. (I think he ends being an NFL TE, not enough speed to go downfield. Reminds me somewhat of Jerramy Stevens.)
    Trent Smith OU Sr.
    Jason Witten Tennessee Jr.
    Mike Seidman UCLA Sr.

I would be surprised if any TE were a 1st round pick. Only a TE desperate team would pick a TE in the 1st round this year. I don't think any of them have TE talent. If Teyo Johnson can show NFL scouts that he can block well in combines (if he even comes out), then he could make an excellent TE over time.

OLs-
    Brett Williams FSU Sr.
    Kwame Harris Stanford Jr.
    Derrick Dockery UT Sr.
    I can't think of many other OLs.

I think this might be the weakest OL group in a while. There doesn't appear to be a "can't miss" prospect this year ala Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden, Bryant McKinnie, Mike Williams, etc.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

First recognize I am in Pac 10 country so I see more action among those guys.

As far as nationally, Rogers has impressed me the most, but Roy W., Washington, Reggie Williams have immensive size, speed and talent. Reggie W. is the most raw and some have questioned his conditioning/dedication (might get him later in the draft than his talent warrants). Washington does not come off as a team guy--you may be talking about a M. Westbrook clone there. The Wisconson guy should be back this week and we can get a look at him.

I do have a couple of sleepers (remember my WC exposure):

WR Shaun McDonald, Arizona State, and both Oregon Wr (Howry, Parker) are smallish blazers with hands and instincts. Any of these guys (especially McDonald IMO) might be good 3rd round picks or later for the Texans. Savage from OU might be a nice mid 2nd or 3rd rounder also.

As for RBs nationally, I have changed my mind on VT Jones--that guy does impress me quite a bit and G. Jones looks tough too. I like like Benson or Clarett better than O. Smith already, and they are a couple of years younger, no way do I see Ontario as a mid to low 1st rounder.

Clarence Farmer is one of my only sleepers as of yet (I havn't noticed many Rbs yet others have not mentioned). Nice all-around tools and size (protypical pro back playing in a pro back type offense), he maybe needs to lose 5-10 pounds and be a step quicker laterally IMO though.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i wouldn't be so sure...

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

As an ASU alum, I'm happy to see that you mentioned McDonald. I love him, but he's probably a mid-round pick because he lacks size. However, he's such a big play waiting to happen. I can see him being a slot WR, in the mold of Az-Hakim.

UA's Bobby Wade is cut from the same cloth. He's just lightning in a bottle. Hopefully, he'll have a better career than Dennis Northcutt.

What do you think of Cornell Canidate? IMO, he's awesome for a RS frosh, always getting positive yardage. His low center of gravity allows him to get extra yardage after contact.

Casey Moore, the Stanford FB looks pretty damn good, as a runner. I didn't pay attention to his blocking though.

I agree what you said about Reggie Williams, but didn't include him in my list because he's not draft eligible.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about who the top 5 RBs are...Charlie Casserly is not known for taking RBs high in the draft. I think he tends to view them as the last piece to the puzzle, so we will likely have to just get used to Allen and/or Wells for a while until the team improves.

9. Live

Live Member

What do ya'll think of Jimmy Kennedy from PSU?

Granted, the Texans would probably trade down to draft him, but that dude is a house! If he plays to his potential, he'll require a double team in the NFL, and could be absolutely frightening at NG\NT.

10. Possum

Possum Member

The top five running backs won't all go in the first round. I can see Casserly going after a top 5 RB with one of our 2nd round picks if their still around and they look good enough. Remember J Allen is a free agent next year.

11. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Highly unlikely. Check out Casserly's RB draft history in this article.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout38.html

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Charles Rogers from MSU, and Roy Williams from Texas are clearly the class of the WR list. Kelley Washington will be another one to watch, He was cleary on his way to the Top of Tennessee until Donte Stallworth came back from injury last season. A WR no one has made much mention of yet is Florida's Taylor Jacobs who is putting up the usual astounding receiving numbers a Florida WR does. And or course Andre Johnson from Miami is another one.

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

If Taylor Jacobs went to another school, with those stats, he would be given more consideration.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jonathon Wells was the 9th RB taken and CC has drafted many RBs between rounds 2-4. Saying CC has a history of not taking a top 5 back because he usually takes the 4th - 10th best back is off.

15. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Casserly has never drafted a top 5 RB (draft position, not ability). The closest he ever got was taking the 6th RB in the '93 draft. Let me lay it out for you:

1991: Ricky Ervins -- 8th RB taken
    1992: No RB taken in any round
    1993: Reggie Brooks -- 6th RB taken
    1994: No RB taken in any round
    1995: Larry Jones -- 12th RB taken
    1996: Stephen Davis -- 11th RB taken
    1997: No RB taken in any round
    1998: Skip Hicks -- 7th RB taken overall
    1999: No RB taken in any round
    2002: Jonathon Wells -- 9th RB taken

This doesn't look like a draft history that would lead me to believe Casserly would draft a RB high anytime soon. Perhaps 3rd round, but even then the top 5 RBs will have already been selected.

16. Desert Scar

Wade is a fine college player, I just don't see pro potential (Wade isn't slow, but lacks McDonald's about peerless speed). IMO Northcutt has done fine. Isn't he a 3rd wide out and good steady punt returner in the NFL--if Bobby can match that I would be very happy for him.

I havn't seen much of Cornell. I'll keep an eye out for him.

BTW I'll be in the stands in the Cats-Ducks game tomarrow night. I hope it isn't ugly, Farmer is out as are the Cats two starting corners. Farmer's loss won't be huge because RH fresh TB Mike Bell is very good (he doesn't pick up the blitzes as well as Farmer though), but not having corners is not good against the Ducks.

IMO one of the top pro prospects on the field will be LB Lance Briggs. Great heart, great speed sideline to sideline, occasionally sloppy tackling when he goes in for the big hit though.

On other comments. I am not that impressed with Jacobs (at least I would not put him in the class of the others). Call it the Florida deflation factor for WRs, he doesn't look as good as Anthony, Hillard or Green, and none of them have done much in the NFL, nor as good as Gaffney who doesn't look particularly spectacular himself. I'd probably rather take a chance on Savage. The Miami WR I'll hold out my judgement for now.

One other final comment. Ya'll in Texas may be aware of Brandon Kennedy at UNT. He has NFL run plugger (Jerry Ball?) written all over him. Wouldn't be a bad pick for the Texans some time after the mid to late 2nd round.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

mfclark- IMO, Briggs seems to be one of those college "overachievers" like Pat Tillman was for ASU... He's definitely a stud college LB, not sure about his pro potential.

I love Michael Jolivette as a CB, though he's undersized.

Not sure how much attention you pay to ASU, but look out for FR. LB Jamar Williams. I will go as far as saying that he's a bigger version of Adam Archuleta. He's a backup right now, but definitely deserves a starting role. I love him even more because he's from Houston.

What have you heard about Nic Costa, the backup QB at UA? I remember in HS, he was fast as hell, 4.3 or so speed, but only 5 ft 10.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I dont want a running back because Wells is my favorite player in the NFL right now, and I still think (not being sarcastic) that he has a shot to be a star in the league.

Why isn't he starting?

19. Desert Scar

I am not mfc ;)

Costa has sucked pretty bad when he has been in there in mop up duty, but he is a RHF so he has time to get better. He is the primary back-up right now.

Jolivette is pretty good. I think Briggs is better. Briggs is a prototpye pro LB. IMO, 240lbs, fast, hard hitting, good instincts. I think he should wrap up a little better here and there, but he will make it as a run stopper/cover LB (but not a rush LB).

ASU is supposed to have DE/rush LB that is tough and explosive. What do you know about him.

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Terrell Suggs? If he came out, he would more than likely be one of the top DEs in the draft. Think Dwight Freeney with better size (6-4, 255 or so). Suggs is fast as hell, and runs a 4.5 to 4.6. He has improved his run defense tremendously from his Fr. year. His main problem is consistency. This is probably attributed to his constant double teams though. He is leading the nation in sacks thus far.