1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name an interesting fact you found out during the quarantine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Asian Sensation

Started keto a few weeks ago since I’ve put on some lbs while I’m home, not working and not gymning it 4-5x a week. I’ve had to learn how to love cheese. I think my favorite is Govt cheddar.

Ubiquitin and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

you were in the navy? quick question, are there any motion sickness people in the navy? and how do they survive? they can only take dramamine for so long until their bodies develop immunity.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was an Air Traffic Controller, and wasn't allowed to go to combat ships for half my career,. Even then, it was a gradual process, because they had to fit the aircraft carriers for both men and women. So, I didn't have to go to a ship, and took remote duty in between shore duty. The majority of our time as Air Traffic Controllers was shore duty, at Naval Air Stations.

I guess everyone just got used to the motion of the sea.. I know my brother did. Your body adjusts to it pretty quick I imagine. I know from cruise ship experience I was sick as a dog the second day, so I took Dramamine a day or 2 and stopped. I didn't get sick any more, even without it

My brother was on an LPD, which is a much a much smaller ship than an Aircraft Carrier. He was on the ship 5 years. I don't remember him talking about getting sick, so I'm sure his body just adapted. Now though, he gets sick as a dog if he goes deep sea fishing. Next time I talk to him I'll ask him your question. I imagine every time they went to sea they got sick the first day or 2 if they were prone to motion sickness until their body adapted.

#83 deb4rockets, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Jontro likes this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

very interesting. i have motion sickness and plus terrified of deep water. i got on a cruise ship and got sick until a nurse put something delightful up my butt.

were you in rotc? i almost joined college rotc which would make me an officer once i join the army, but i didn't want to. this was back in the prime bush vs bin ladin era.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, if my Mom lets one rip and she’s next to a kangaroo, then she can’t blame the kangaroo. Mom used to toot and blame the dog or cat in the immediate vicinity. It was so unfair to our beloved pets. Plus, they smelt it but didn’t dealt it. Oh, Ma! Happy Mother’s Day! :confused:

Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No, I never was in ROTC. I joined the Navy after I saw Air Traffic Controllers going on strike at Hobby Airport. I had enquired about Air Traffic control jobs, and at that time they required a college degree or military experience. The Navy was the only military service that would guarantee me a school in writing. So, I joined the military with intentions of getting out after one tour to enter a lucrative paying job field.

Needless to say, as my first duty tour came towards an end I decided to reenlist, and chose the military over the big bucks. I ended up making a career out of the Navy.

No Worries, Invisible Fan and Jontro like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

nooice breh(ette). are you like a captain now? couldn't retired military people become cops or detectives? or at least join one of the big agencies. I've always wanted to join one of the agency, but was never smart enough nor do i have a strong stomach.

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No, I went back to school and got into teaching children with special needs. My specialty is working with children with Autism.

Yung-T, bigdaddy and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

that seems very difficult. a close friend of mine also does that... teaching children is hard enough, can't imagine with special needs. good for you.

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Thanks. Yes, both rewarding and very challenging. I guess I've always been drawn to the type of work where every day brings different challenges. The best part is seeing what amazing skills and talents each child with Autism has. Every child is so unique, and I have worked with hundreds of them. Helping them achieve new goals makes up for the stress that comes with the job.

11. SemisolidSnake

This one really blew my mind in a great way.

70% isopropyl alcohol is actually better at disinfecting and killing bacteria, fungi, and viruses than 91% or higher.

Source: https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/05/15...than-99-isopropanol-and-what-is-ipa-used-for/

The page mentions that higher-percentage isopropanol is preferred for cleaning things like electronics because it evaporates more quickly. But it's worse at disinfection than mixtures with higher water content.

So, use your 70% for disinfection and your 91% for cleaning. If we ever can either find at the stores again.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks. That's really interesting and useful info.

13. SemisolidSnake

Yung-T and RKREBORN like this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Pics or it's not true.

15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

IMG_20200520_232450.jpg IMG_20200520_212706.jpg

#95 deb4rockets, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  16. GIGO

GIGO Member

^ an interesting fact we found out during the quarantine

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

LOL. The plaque isn't as interesting as the stories I could tell from all those duty stations.

Yung-T and bigdaddy like this.
  18. GIGO

GIGO Member

[​IMG]

Yung-T and deb4rockets like this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Fact:

People from all walks of life often don't grow up learning what you and I might think everyone knows. They might be highly intelligent, but just grew up learning different things.

Story:

Getting the Control Tower ready to open in the mornings required radio checks, airfield checks, etc.. The windows on the tower had to be sprayed down each morning to remove the dew and condensation, and clean them off for a clear view of the runways and taxiways. We had a catwalk which went around the tower and a water hose out there we used to spray down the windows each morning.

One morning someone told a young Airman named Chris ( from Alabama) to go out and wash down the windows. Not long after, we couldn't believe our eyes. Chris was standing out there holding the end of the hose where the water was coming out trying to get the water up high on the windows with a sweeping up motion of his arm. He didn't even know how to make the water spray out by putting his thumb over the end of the hose.

#99 deb4rockets, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Yung-T and GIGO like this.
  20. GIGO

GIGO Member

Obviously the kid had only used the one with super nozzle, like this

Yung-T, arkoe and deb4rockets like this.