1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Myles Turner 4 year, $80 million extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Oct 15, 2018.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Interesting one...it doesn't really feel like they committed for as long as they could have?

2. TimDuncanDonaut

Pacers needed money (~14m; not sure the exact number) to meet their salary floor. So why not compensate one of their guys in the process.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Someone should get a promotion for coming up with this extension idea. The next two years of Turner's contract are going to be insanely valuable and he will be worth keeping or trading whichever they choose. His trade value is definitely up and he could have helped a bunch of contenders (who were probably hoping Pacers will get desperate at the deadline). Well done Pacers.

pmac likes this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

5. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's like he got a signing bonus on the extension. I didn't know teams could do that.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

Copy pasta.

"Renegotiations are allowed to make an NBA contract more lucrative, and they can happen as long as a specific set of circumstances are in place:
    • Only contracts that cover four or more seasons can be renegotiated, though that rule doesn’t apply to rookie scale deals — even though they run for four years, they can’t be renegotiated.
    • Renegotiations can only occur after the third anniversary of a contract signing, an extension, or a previous renegotiation (assuming the previous renegotiation increased the salary in any season by 5% or more).
    • Perhaps most importantly, teams can’t renegotiate any contracts if they’re over the cap, and they can only increase the player’s salary in the current season by the amount of cap room that they have (or to the player’s maximum salary).
    • Teams can’t renegotiate contracts between March 1 and June 30, so the last day of February is always the deadline to complete renegotiations in a given league year.
    • Renegotiations can’t occur as part of a trade, and if a player waives some or all of his trade kicker to facilitate a trade, he’s ineligible to renegotiate his contract for the next six months.
    • In order for a signing bonus to be included in a renegotiation, the contract must be extended as well.
    • Two-way contracts can’t be renegotiated."
    sauce: link

TLDR: their GM studied the rules well and found that Turner fell into this rare condition.

7. i3artow i3aller

Seems silly that it only works for contracts that cover four or more seasons. For instance the Spurs have Poeltl on a three yr contract and one would imagine that they too would like to explore such an option. CBA gotta get it together.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

Yea, it's balance. From a team perspective, at least 4 years, where they can plan the money accordingly. Otherwise, more players may try to re-negotiate a raise.

As far as Turner's tenure, dude more than paid his loyalty dues to Indiana.

He gave 8 years to Indy. Pay the dude.

[​IMG]

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Assuming we don't have some superstar waiting to sign here in free agency, this seems like the perfect way for the Rockets to get KJ Martin on a team friendly deal next year. Since he was a 2nd rd pick, his deal wasn't a rookie scale contract but just normal free agent terms.