1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My top 5 for college football...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by kidrock8, Nov 10, 2002.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No, and I'm not a hypocrite. FSU was not playing any better than Miami at the time.

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

If they were in the Big East, SEC, Big 12, or Big 10 we wouldn't be having this debate (then again, they would have probably gotten beat more than once in one of those conferences).

But they are not. They are in the 2nd weakest conference.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

FSU wiped the floor with UF in their last regular season game.

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

WTF? You are saying the Big East is better than the Pac-10? That's very laughable. Miami and the 7 dwarves, hardly count as being a superior conference. The so-called other power in that conf gets punked by a very bad Syr team...

Which SEC teams are better than WSU? UGA? Please don't tell me Tenn or UF.

5. Major

Major Member

Going by this logic, when/if KSU loses again, if Iwere a voter, I would drop Texas a couple of spots because KSU may not have been as good as I had thought.

I know it sounds weird, but I think it definitely is taken into account. Just look at Miami. If Florida, Tennessee, and FSU were their normal selves, we would be saying Miami is clearly, unquestionably the best team out there for beating those teams. However, the fact that those teams have all lost games reduces the value of those wins. The same principle applies here.

Keep in mind that this is the compilation of a bunch of voters thoughts. No one likely dropped UT several spots. But someone who had UT then WSU but couldn't pick between the two might have swapped the two this week. Its just little changes that can generate these re-rankings. All it takes is 1 of the 80 or whatever voters to swap from:

WSU
    OU
    UT

to

UT
    OU
    WSU

And UT moves from tied-#4 to #3 and WSU moves from #3 to #5.

6. The Cat

The same UF Miami wiped the floor with in the Sugar Bowl?

Miami won every game in November, including a game against then second ranked Virginia Tech, by at least 20 points.

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I remember the VT/Miami game last year being a close one. In fact, didn't a VT WR drop the ball that could have tied it? It was a close game.

8. The Cat

We're talking about two years ago, when FSU played OU for the championship instead of Miami.

9. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Virginia Tech's best player has been hurt the last 2 games. Syracuse is also a real young team, and they have something going with the last two games, next year, expect them to be a bowl team. They also beat the vaunted Aggies in terrifying Kyle Field (McNeal got PT in this game, too, but the Hokies didn't blow a million coverages to let him float balls to his WRs). The Hokies have experienced a huge let down. Before that let down they were playing like the #3/#4 team in the country, no doubt.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I agree that VT looked like a top 5 team, before the meltdown. But A&M has lost 3 home games this year. And nearly 4, if not for their upset of OU.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Fair enough. OSU picked the right year(or right time of year) to be undefeated. It took a ballsy play to come from behind to beat a 5 loss Purdue team.

Things will work itself out. texas needs to blow out Techand ATM to impress the voters.

UT actually gained two points (53 to 51) over WSU in he coaches poll.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

This is much ado about nothing.

These conversations should be taking place on December 9 when we see the last BCS standings.

To get upset about it now is very fruitless.

After all, a number of things could happen like Miami or Ohio State or both losing, WSU losing to Washington, OU losing another game like in the Big 12 Championship Game, etc.

Just say what Frank Costanza says, "Serenity Now."

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

But this is what makes college football, what it is. I love the BCS because of the controversy that results after every week. This is why the college game is light years better than the NFL.

14. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

right on. It seems like all the ND hype or anti-hype have stopped.

15. The Cat

Agreed.

I guess the only thing that sucks is that we aren't already ahead of OU, but honestly I expect them to lose again anyway. And, unless Miami or OSU lose, this is all pointless. I suppose I will restrain my anger until one of them loses and there is actually a spot for a one-loss team. :)

16. mduke

mduke Member

It's funny how a week ago, everyone on this site was proclaiming that OU was by far the best team in the nation. Now they will lose at least another game. Oh well, these are the same people that continue to pick Texas against OU......:p