1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My top 5 for college football...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by kidrock8, Nov 10, 2002.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

For all those who b****ed about the BCS a month ago, they should have shutup, as it looks more and more like it;s working itself out. Granted, there may be some controversy with who is #2, if OSU loses, however, those 1-loss teams should blame themselves for losing a game (OU with A&M, UT wiht OU, etc)
    , before blaming the BCS.

Without further adieu, my top 5.

#1- Miami

They reclaim my top spot, by spanking Tenn (who already has 4 losses), and OU getting punked by the Aggies. Maybe their "struggles" of late were because they were just too bored? Perhaps. The big game I thought Mia-VT to be, might end up in a Miami blowout. With OU losing, I feel like they all but control their own destiny.

#2- OSU

They are far from being the 2nd best team in the nation, but in college football rankings are based on W's and L's, not on hypothetical (such as OU, Miami, and UT would beat OSU). That huge call and play on 4th and 1, might very well have saved their season, as well as prevented a 1-loss team to sneak in at #2 in the BCS. Michigan will be a toughie as always, especially with the way OSU has played of late. They really really need a 100% Clarett. I had a feeling he would get hurt eventually, just because of his hard bruising style.

#3- OU

Didn't really look too great against A&M, but give A&M credit for taking advantage of OU's mistakes. Where was the defense? They get the nod over UT by virtue of their head to head win. I still think OU has a sliver of a chance for the #2 BCS slot, if they win out.

#4- Texas

I was really tempted to insert WSU into the 4 slot, by virtue of beating a good Oregon team. Since I was on the fence about it, I just went with who I think has the better talent, and who would probably win head-to-head. It would be a shame if UT managed to back their way into the Fiesta Bowl, without even winning the Big 12 South. I think more than likely, they will be heading to the Sugar Bowl against UGA or some other SEC squad.

#5- WSU

I was somewhat tempted to put Iowa in this spot, but Iowa's only win that impressed me was the win against Mich (who is overrated). WSU has one of the best QBs in the nation, in Jason Gesser, yet he gets less pub than many QBs that he is better than (Simms, Dorsey, etc). Unless everything goes right for them, they will more than likely be in the Rose Bowl, where they could find themselves playing against OSU (a rematch) or Iowa. This will be the first good Rose Bowl matchup in a very long time.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The new coaches poll is out and OU dropped to # 6...

I believe its

1) Miami
    2) Ohio State
    3) Texas
    4) Washington State
    5) Iowa
    6) OU

3. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Yeah swifty, but he said his top 5

1. Miami
    2. OSU
    3. OU
    4. Texas
    5. Iowa

Washington State beat a team with their best player injured. Whooptee-frickin-doo.

#3 NYKRule, Nov 10, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2002
  4. drapg

drapg Member

1. Miami
    2. OSU
    3. Texas
    4. Iowa
    5. Washington State

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I don't know why everyone is clamoring to put wsu ahead of UT in the human polls. UT took care of business. WSU beat a ranked opponent, but they didnt' dominate them or anything.

6. Major

Major Member

I don't know why everyone is clamoring to put wsu ahead of UT in the human polls. UT took care of business. WSU beat a ranked opponent, but they didnt' dominate them or anything.

I think the theory is that WaSu now has the "better loss". They've lost to #2 OSU; we've lost to #6 OU. Plus, they'll likely be a conference champion, which helps a bit.

I don't think looking at the only loss is the best way to go, personally -- I think you also have to look at the best win. By that token, OU has the best win (UT) / worst loss (A&M). WaSu has the worst win (USC?) / best loss (OSU). UT has the middle win (KSU), middle loss (OU). I don't know how Iowa fits into the mix, but they look damned good to me. They are the only team that consistently seems to dominate their opposition (at least recently), although it is sketchy opposition.

If I had to rank them based on who I thought was best:

OU
    Miami (sorry, Manny)
    UT
    Iowa
    OSU
    WSU

If I had to rank them based on how they've performed / what they've earned:

Miami (Conf Champ)
    OSU (Conf co-Champ)
    OU (Conf Champ)
    Iowa (Conf co-Champ)
    UT
    WSU (Conf Champ)

I'm looking at the season as a whole rather than the fact that OU had the most recent loss.

7. Major

Major Member

New AP Poll

3. WaSu
    4. (tie) - UT, OU

:)

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I knew it.

I am so ****ing sick of college football. If this doesn't show the need for a playoff, I don't know what will. Texas leads WSU by a healthy margin, wins by over 40, and WSU barely beats an average team at home. Then, they jump us. Texas might even be 5 in the BCS... this is undoubtedly the biggest joke I've ever seen.

9. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

USC is very, very close to K-State (only lost by 7).

10. gr8-1

Texas needs alot of help now. Wow. I am surprised. Shoud UT have beaten Baylor by 60 instead? I hate the BCS. I'm pissed at Fowler as well.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, we here in Hawkeye-land know our opponent yesterday was not high-caliber (OK, Northwestern sucks), but we did beeyotch-slap Michigan at Ann Arbor a couple weeks back. I don't know how we're doing it, but I'm guessing a great offensive line of corn-fed white boys, and Brad Banks emerging as one hell of a quarterback, thanks in no small part to the aforementioned offensive line. He's been smoking the opposition.

Thank you, Oklahoma, for losing. Now if Ohio State can lose to Michigan, OR if Ohio State can play Miami for the championship, while the Hawkeyes beat Minnesota, we can get into the Rose Bowl.

One of those funny years. Ohio State and Iowa in the top 5 but they never had to go head-to-head during Big 10 play.

12. Major

Major Member

Texas leads WSU by a healthy margin, wins by over 40, and WSU barely beats an average team at home.

Oregon's not an average team. They are the #2 team from last year, #15 this year as of yesterday. WSU definitely deserved to get more votes for beating a top #15 team than UT gets for blanking a Baylor team. UT will have the chance to earn those votes back if we dominate Tech and/or A&M. This is more about people seeing how good WSU might be rather than anything bad about UT.

They also didn't barely win - they dominated the 4th quarter of that game.

13. gr8-1

I think coaches are smarter then writers.

14. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

BTW, I don't see a new AP poll anywhere.

15. Major

Major Member

NYK,

http://www.sportingnews.com/cfootball/poll/ap.html

WSU - 1592 Votes
    OU/UT - 1590 Votes
    Iowa - 1560 Votes

There'll be lots of shuffling / opportunities to move up and down between these 4 teams, and if it stays this close, the writers will have the ability manipulate their votes to try to create the Fiesta Bowl matchup that they want - no one knows what that preferred matchup is yet, though (assuming either OSU or Miami lose).

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yes, they are. Oregon's been dominated by any team with a half-decent passing offense... their defense is virtually non-existent. What they did last year has no relevance.

UT won't earn those votes back; you and I both know it. The anti-Texas bias is too strong in the media. In fact, if OSU lost and OU lost again, I wouldn't be shocked if the AP writers put us back a few places in the last poll just to keep us out of the Fiesta. Whatever it takes.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ya, you would think. But Joe Pa said himself a few years ago that he gets his secretary, or the like, to fill one out for him.

Bottom line is that these coaches do not have time to sit on the couch and watch 15-20 games a week, on top of playing their own game. Much less, turn in their vote in time for Sunday morning...

Both polls blow.

The fact that OU is 3 spots behind UT is proof of that. What happens if OU wins out, and wins the Big 12 Championship? Are they STILL behind a UT team, who they soundly defeated? If so, then the AP and Coaches Poll are a much larger problem than the BCS.

If OU wins out, and wins the Big 12, would the Coaches and AP Poll, do a 180, and make OU do a huge leapfrog, to be ahead of UT?

18. Major

Major Member

Yes, they are. Oregon's been dominated by any team with a half-decent passing offense... their defense is virtually non-existent. What they did last year has no relevance.

Oregon hasn't been dominated by anyone. Their worst loss was to the #5 team this week by 11. They also lost to #16 USC by 11, and top-25 Arizona State by 3.

UT won't earn those votes back; you and I both know it. The anti-Texas bias is too strong in the media.

This is ridiculous. For something like each of the last 10 or 12 years that we've been ranked, UT has ended the season ranked lower than they've started it (maybe excluding last year). Every year, the writers and coaches give us the benefit of the doubt and we never perform up to our rankings. The fact that we're the highest-rated one-loss team defies any logic of anti-UT bias. We'd be clearly below OU, Iowa, and WSU if there was some crazy anti-UT bias. Yet, we lost after Iowa and WSU and still stayed ahead of them, until this week by a whopping 2 votes.

UT Basketball is also ridiculously ranked in the top 5 for a team that has never finished the season in the top 10 before. The media loves Texas and rank us in every sport every chance they get. For the last several years, we've always been amongst the highest ranked 1/2/3/4 loss teams in the country.

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

No, they should have beaten OU, so they could control their own destiny, as well as being able to at least COMPETE for the Big 12 title.

20. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Texas is screwed.