1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Titans!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by drapg, Dec 17, 2002.

1. drapg

drapg Member

ha ha ha...

Titans baby!

I watched that game with a ton of Texans fans here in Houston... Gotta say it was fun.

Of course the team looked like **** out there, but a win is a win.

1st round bye.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Titans going to the Super Bowl? No freakin' way. The Texans outplayed them today by far, and they do not have a dominant enough defense to mask their offensive deficiencies, and they have numerous ones.

There is no way this team is a good number 2 seed in the AFC or a powerhouse team in the NFL.

It took a dropped touchdown, one missed fg by a very good kicker, another one blocked, and a punt block to win against an expansion team with homefield throughout the playoffs on the line.

Also I don't get all this eddie george superstar talk, the guy is a solid back, but nothing about his play strikes a chord of superstar, yet he is viewed that way by many. He was bottled up all day, and granted the Texans have a good defense and were playing for city pride(which I do not discount), if he is a franchise back, he should be asserting himself in meaningful games. The only meaningful run he had was the touchdown after a very good pass play to Bennett, which outside of Mccareins catch, was the only really good offensive play Tennessee had all day. And it's not just this game either, I remember him in Houston and he was a solid back then, like he is now. And McNair is a solid quarterback, but he is at the lower part of the upper level of qb's in the league, and he needs more than a solid back in George, a solid TE in Wycheck, and a decent wr in Mason to go far in the playoffs. And he better be healthy, which he isn't. Even then, he is a solid qb, but not a guy to carry a team like Mcnabb or Favre.

Back to George, the Texans could use him, but almost anyone is an improvement over Wells, and I would like to draft Mcgahee out of Miami if they can.

Bottom line, I don't think the Titans are a good number 2 seed, and from what I saw today, I can't see them being a Superbowl winner with them possibly going because of the mediocrity of the AFC

Personally I think the Raiders go.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

that's every bit as ridiculous as someone who became a viking fan after moon was traded to minnesota. holds absolutely no water.

4. Timing

Timing Member

That was a playoff team? Steve McNair is still one of the most inaccurate passers I've ever seen. The Titans are pretty unimpressive. If the Texans had any talent on offense this game may have been a rout. See ya next year fat b*stard.

What the hell was with Dom Capers going Mack Brown on us by kicking a FG on fourth and goal from the one? Geez...

5. Hey Now!

are you really talking smack to fans of an expansion team? seriously? and limp smack at that? pathetic twice over.

besides, wouldn't your time be better spent mentally preparing yourself for the "oilers" annual playoff collapse?

6. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Ric,
    Search this thread. It was alot of Texans fans talking smack. Mine was a simple response back. If you take it as talking weak smack. So be it. I will take our win and you can take your off-season!!! Start planning... Still did not answer my question regarding Boselli.

7. drapg

drapg Member

eddie george was en route to hall of fame status his first 4 years out of college. He was a legit superstar. However injuries took their toll and he just couldn't keep his pace going.

8. Hey Now!

hmmmm.....

now, correct me if i'm wrong here, dorthy, but wouldn't this fall under the domain of smack? let me check... yep, weak as it is, it's nonetheless smack... and when, exactly, did i join the large chorus of texan fans talking smack in this thread?

the texans are an expansion team; you're supposed to beat us. actually, you're supposed to pound us, not wuss out an unimpressive 13-3 "shellacking," but that's not really the point. that you'd lower yourself to address smack directed at you from fans of an expansion team... well, it's rather limp. you're the #2 seed in the AFC, ferchrissakes. aren;t there raider fans you should be saving this for?

question? i thought it was more weak smack. what exactly do you need explained to you? he's been the best LT in football for years and the texans wanted carr to have maximum protection while learning on the job -- what's so difficult to understand about that?

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Drapg,

I was an Oilers fan until they left, and George was no superstar caliber running back. I can't tell you how many quiet games Eddie had, and he has never had any explosiveness to his game. If you want consistency, fine, Eddie was your guy to churn out 3 or 4 yards a pop.

He was very similar to Emmitt Smith, both good backs who racked up superstar numbers because of in one case a dominant o line, the other because the Oilers rarely have passed under Fisher.

Eddie is a good football player, and a solid running back, but numbers aside, I never will or never did, view him as a superstar running back. And I watched all the Oilers game as a kid, and the thing I remember about George is his consistency to get 3 or 4 yards a carry, sorry. That does not qualify as a superstar running back to me.

Just a difference of opinion, and I respect yours Drapg. We will agree to disagree on this issue.

10. Major

Major Member

and when, exactly, did i join the large chorus of texan fans talking smack in this thread?

Probably here, I'd presume:

<I>besides, wouldn't your time be better spent mentally preparing yourself for the "oilers" annual playoff collapse?
    </I>

the texans are an expansion team; you're supposed to beat us. actually, you're supposed to pound us

If people don't want to be the target of smack talk, they shouldn't start it. If Texans fans start blabbing about how they are going to beat some other team, then when they lose, they deserve to have it rubbed right back into their faces.

11. drapg

drapg Member

I'd like a chance to offer more of my opinion...

Through his first five seasons in the league, George was averaging nearly 1350 yards per season and had a robust 4.0 yards per carry average. Sure a lot of it had to do with Fisher's ultraconservative offensive attack. (Don't even get me started on that. If my man Steve "Air" McNair wasn't stuck with Fisher all of these years, I truly believe he would have been Donovan McNabb before Donovan's arrival to the NFL scene).

George was even a potent pass catching back out of the backfield, catching 37,47,and 50 receptions in his third-fifth seasons in the league.

George did have some explosion in his early years in Houston and Tennessee. Over the years he lost that explosiveness.

George just isn't the protypical build for a running back. The man stands 6'3" and runs at that height, a big no-no for NFL tailbacks. He runs standing erect and upright, rather than arching his back like tailbacks are taught to do, to get better leverage while trying to break tackles. However his incredible physique helped him compensate for that lack of a proper running stance.

Had George not taken the physical abuse that any tailback would have endured in a Jeff Fisher offense, I truly believe he would have been well on the way to Canton by now. Unfortunately he won't because his body is just breaking down. Living in Austin, I've only been able to see my Titans a total of 4 games this season. George is really a shell of the runner he was in his first few seasons in the league, in my opinion.

Those are just my thoughts. I'm no expert, but I just wanted a chance to rebut.

Back to regularly scheduled programming... GO TITANS! :D

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Good point, but I only saw one person in this thread say that the Texans were going to win the game. There are a lot of posts cheering for the Texans to win, but that doesn't mean predicting it.

On a side note, I hate how conservative this team is. It's the freaking last game of the season and you're on the one... we deserved to have the kick blocked after pulling that BS.

That game really sucked... for the first time, for most of the game, the total yards and statistics were on the Texans side... we just couldn't convert. So close, but a lot of miscues (and a blatantly missed hold in the end zone)... it hurts. The defense played so, so well, and if they don't make the mistake of single coverage deep on 3rd and 24, we had a damn good shot at winning.

Season's over, but I'm proud of them. They competed hard, and were in almost every game. Can't ask for more.

13. Major

Major Member

On a side note, I hate how conservative this team is. It's the freaking last game of the season and you're on the one... we deserved to have the kick blocked after pulling that BS.

Agreed. This team has absolutely no reason not to take chances and see what happens. Obviously, they won't (and probably shouldn't) do that when something serious is on the line (playoffs, etc) but for an expansion team, have some fun and take some chances. :(

14. Hey Now!

i never talked trash prior to, during, or after the game, and i certainly never talked trash on behalf of the texans. still haven't, in fact.

oh, please. i don't think anyone here thought the texans were gonna win the super bowl. so what's his point? we're every bit as bad as everyone pretty much thought we'd be? man, he's f***ing HAMMERING us! :rolleyes:

(and i don't use smilies very often...)

15. Major

Major Member

i never talked trash prior to, during, or after the game, and i certainly never talked trash on behalf of the texans. still haven't, in fact.

What's your point? He didn't address you prior to your comments about his team. You slammed his team, he slammed yours. You think because your team sucks, you should have free reign over slamming other people's teams? Get over yourself.

oh, please. i don't think anyone here thought the texans were gonna win the super bowl. so what's his point?

His point was telling all of those people who were mocking his team (and their fans) throughout this thread to shut the hell up. I thought it was fairly clear myself. You know, not every comment on this BBS is directed specifically at you. :rolleyes:

16. Hey Now!

that's kinda my point... slam away, fine by me... but what, exactly, is he slamming? a 4-12 expansion team that pretty much lived up to everyone's expectations? kind of like making fun of fat people, isn't it? i mean, the texans suck... does this guy think he's shinning a light on undiscovered territory here? and does he really need that satisfaction to make himself feel better about an 11-5 team that's the #2 seed in the afc?

been a long time since i cheered for a playoff team, but i don't ever remember being concerned with what the... cardinals were doing during the oilers' heyday.

eh? when did i make such a presumption?

and he's certainly free, and justified, for that matter, in telling texan fans to take a flying leap into the shallow end of the nearest lake, especially those who jawed with him this week.... but he didn't do that, did he?

no, he didn't. instead, he whipped out weak smack about the texans sucking. PFFFTTTT. the texans DO suck; if anyone in this thread, or any other thread, offered anything to the contrary, they deserve derision. short of that, using it as a means to shut people up is missing the mark completely and rather silly.