1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Titans!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by drapg, Dec 17, 2002.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

actually, fowler is critical of lanier in the book as well...but it doesn't change the fact that the man signed an agreement to negotiate with Nashville only. A convenientally forgotten fact is that Houston did offer Bud an open-air stadium to stay here which he turned down. Ultimately, that stadium could not have been much worse than the one he got in Nashville, which by all accounts is the absolute worst of the new stadiums in the NFL

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Seriously??? I've never heard that. I'm happy.

3. drapg

drapg Member

I will forever hate Bud Adams for uprooting the primary source of entertainment of my childhood.

He used the threat of leaving town way to many times and Houston finally called his bluff... which didn't turn out to be one in the end.

I despise Houstonians for turning around and building a new stadium for a new team as well.

Lets just say I have anger towards both sides of the issue.

However, this doesn't impair my judgement and feelings towards the Oilers/Titans.

Fisher, McNair, George... this team is the epitome of class, grit, and hardnosed football.

I always thought that once every former Oiler retired, I would be done with the team... Meaning after Eddie George's retirment (I think he was the last #1 pick from the Houston years), I would quit rooting for them and jump on the Texans bandwagon.

Years later, I don't see that happening.

Go Titans.

**** the rest of you who think I'm an ass for still rooting for them. My support runs deep.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You're not an ass, just misguided and easily fooled by fat bastards.

;)

5. MadMax

i just can't understand still rooting for them if you live in houston. it's like a cheating girlfriend...you love her until she leaves you for the other guy...then you wish bad things upon her!!! :) or something like that....

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Fortunately for me, I root for teams, not owners. I didn't have any Bud Adams shirts or banners. Do you guys have McNair stuff?

7. PhiSlammaJamma

If they had become the Washington DC Titans I would have stolen your girlfriend ;).

From our perspective we don't think you were loyal to the team. You are the crummy fans. You were banddwagoners that jumped off. The Team is what come firsts. Not the city.

On a similar point, What should red sox fans do. Clemens left them and may now be returning. Do you accept him back? He cheated on you afterall.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I can't edit, so let me also say this.

It's like the family picked up and moved towns. You don't the abandon the family even tho you are pissed at your dad. You pack your bags and make some new friends. You are still loyal to your old home town and friends, but you now you have a whole bunch of new friends too.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You might not talk to the family if they kept threatening to leave town if you didn't give them just a little bit more money, then a little bit more, then a little bit more, then a little bit more, then a little bit more.

He's a fat b*stard and I hate <B>his</B> team.

10. drapg

drapg Member

why hate the man's property, which had no say in the move... rather than just hating the man? (like I do)

i just don't see the reasoning.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's like saying why hate Nazi soldiers when they were just doing work for Hitler.

If they sucdeed, he succeeds. I don't want him to succeed, hence, I don't want the players to succeed. Therefore, I will root with all my soul against them.

12. drapg

drapg Member

dude, come on... the "Nazi card"?? you're kidding, right? I could so go off on that one, but I won't.

your second statement is much more sensible. You're right, if the team succeeds, Adams lines his pockets. If that's your thinking, I understand.

Personally, I don't care if Adams gets wealthier or goes broke. He is a non-issue to me. Its only the team and its performance that matters.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not calling him a Nazi. Jeez. I was just making an analogy, not a comparison between Adams and Hitler.

14. drapg

drapg Member

Yes I understood what you were getting at but the alleged analogy is quite fallacious.

15. Buck Turgidson

Nope, all my banners & shirts have the word "Houston" on them, only now it's followed by "Texans" instead of "Oilers".

16. Buck Turgidson

A little extreme, perhaps, but not fallacious.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I might be the same way if I lived in Houston.

18. MadMax

EXACTLY!!!! put the name, "houston" on your jersey, represent the city and i'll root for it! move to another town and you're just another team....one i can't follow on a weekly basis...one i can't see play in person on a regular basis....

i rooted for the oilers because they were from houston...not because they were the oilers. when they ceased being from houston, i ceased rooting for them. in fact, when bud said (during the lame duck years), "they are no longer the houston oilers...they're merely bud adams' entry in the NFL," that ended it for me. the team is now made up of a bunch of players who weren't seeing a ton of playing time while they played here...they're entirely different...there is no carryover.

and because they left houston, i'll root like crazy against that organization.

GO TEXANS!!!

19. drapg

drapg Member

I guess we have differing philosophies.

I started rooting for the Oilers because I grew up in Houston. However the team meant more to me than a attachment by location over the years.

They left town, but all of my favorite players were still on the team, so I continued to follow it.

If the Rockets ever left Houston, I'd still be their fan as well.

20. MadMax

really??? who???

they were rebuilding...the team went 2-14 the year bud was demanding a new stadium...all of the old players on the exceptional teams of the late 80s and early 90's had left...the moon era was over...the run n shoot was done...the killer defense had all moved off elsewhere...my favorite player, cris dishman, had gone to play for the Vikings....when they left, i didn't have any connection to those players at all...i knew they were rebuilding...rebuilding to be good for some other city to enjoy. that's exactly the way it worked out...

and one day the texans will beat the titans...just as they beat the cowboys...and i will be a happy man on that day. of course, i'm generally happy on most days...but that day in particular will be awesome! :)