1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My personal thread...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, Jul 7, 2005.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks for the info Doc, I wish I could say I was surpised by all this, but unfortunatly I am not.

DD

2. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I wish Gene's broadcasts were in Austin. I always did that when I lived in Houston.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

In the past few years:
    Malosky, then Murph, then Hagedorn . . . gone.
    Cooper, Bullard, Drexler . . . added

I think things are strongly going in the wrong direction. I still miss Lisa. Bullard got better as the season went on, and I really enjoyed him during the playoffs. However, he doesn't have the chemistry with Worrell that Murphy did.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Thanks for the info Doc.

Glad to hear that JVG really wants Swift. I really hope the team can land him.

5. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Wow, i am kinda surprised that Les has not treated a hometown hero like calvin the way he deserves to be treated. Hopefully Calvin lands another gig with some other team and everything works out for him.

6. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Doc -

You probably know this but for those who don't. The Sarah Joseph Doc referred to (as someone Calvin did some work for) is the Director of Community Relations and an OUTSTANDING individual both in and outside of the Rox organization.

He helped with some of the community events, like when they select charities around the holidays and then players, coaches and even front office management go out and show off their holiday spirit with gifts, parties, and all round good cheer. Sarah and PR Director Susan Newquest do sensational work for Les.

Smokey - You asked about a photo of Tad's sister. While I do have one, I don't have it here (at my home computer). What I can tell you is that while she is Blonde and attractive, she's not at all what you might think a "trophy" girlfriend or wife would look like. She's pleasant, low-key and respectful. (I would use those last few adjectives to describe Les the few times I've been around him).

Finally, somewhere else on the board mentioned that Tad will wind up with the job Postolos has. Anyone who thinks that is smoking something wicked. There's NO WAY that Alexander, having made big time bucks on the advice given to him by Postolos will be letting him go anytime soon. The only way Postolos changes jobs is if Les offers him the GM slot when CD calls it quits (and that may be much sooner than later...).

Thanks again Doc for the scoop and the outrage. I share the disappointment about Murph, even as I believe he's done things for which he has yet to attone...

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I’VE BEEN GONE FOR A FEW DAYS, AND PRETTY MUCH AWAY FROM THE OL’ LAPTOP, SO, HERE’S TO CATCHING UP (Doc in lower case, me in CAPS):

This is just some facts and opinions get out there...also I'm a big fan of Hagedorn so here goes. I AM A BIG FAN OF YOURS, SO HERE’S SOME FACTS AND OPINIONS IN RESPONSE TO SOME OF YOURS:

Hagedorn being let go sucks...period! One guy said earlier that he carried the broadcasts - he did! From a rookie color commentator who couldn't speak, offered no insight into MENS basketball, and was an absolute disaster (SHE'S GONE) to a 'Director' of Broadcasting who did NOTHING but yell in his ear, give him horrible directions and bother up until the second they went on air (HE SHOULD BE GONE!), Hagedorn and Tim Parris CARRIED THAT ENTIRE BROADCAST!! Period! Why did the Rockets NOT mention Hagedorn in their news release? Not even a mention? Disgusting!! YOUR POINT IS TAKEN. IT WAS HANDLED VERY POORLY. PERHAPS HAGEDORN DESERVED BETTER. HOWEVER, AS A TALENT HE IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME IN A MAJOR MARKET (IMO).

Fox Sports was clear that they were not going to carry extra salary when they already have people like Kevin, Patti, and Muckleroy in place. His position was ended by the ROCKETS NOT by Fox Sports. Fox Sports said 'we're going with our contract people', Hagedorn was given no options, including Comets, from the Rockets execs. He was simply 'let go' like Murphy, Turbo, Rudy, etc...(And yes, Rudy was let go!!) I DON’T LIKE THE FSN FOLKS BECAUSE THEY FEEL/LOOK/SMELL LIKE DFW. GIVE ME LOCAL, AND GIVE ME GOOD.

The makeover is not complete. Now that these moves have been made, look for Tad Brown to move past Postolos as the right hand man completely (Postolos is already falling out of favor!) WOULD BE FIFTH PRESIDENT OF ROX IN 11 YEARS UNDER LA ??? look for them to eliminate the Director of Broadcasting position (Why keep him there? He has no responsibilities...never did really!), look for a change in the behind the scenes (Parris, etc...), and then they'll settle on one color-guy for the broadcasts. The reason McDougall left is because Tad was made Senior VP over Tim. It ate at Tim and he left for NO other reason but that. I guess now that Tad's sister is dating Les, well.....uhh!! Anyway, look for another promotion in addtion to SENIOR...VP...of SALES (Mark Norelli)......MARKETING (Tim Mcdougall).....BROADCASTING (Joel Blank) and most likely Postolos' gig. Nice job, Tad! BUT NO ZEN SOAP OPERA IN H-TOWN?

Make no mistake - Drexler will be a DISASTER. I know, I know...we all loved him when he was here but he simply is TERRIBLE behind the camera and has no insight. I promise the whole broadcast will be Worrell refering to Clyde's UH days and how TMAC and YAO are a 1/2 punch like he and Dream were!! That will be ALL SEASON LONG!!! Drexler's work habits in the 'real world' are the reason HE decined to do the road games. He's a novelty that will wear thin quickly. He insight will PALE in comparison to Van's and especially Murph's! LOVE #22 – IN UNI. I AGREE 100%, AS OUT OF UNI HE IS WEARING THE EMPORER'S CLOTHES!

I don't hate Glyde so please understand that we all like good commentary and these are my thoughts. If you want a good broadcast, watch the road games with Bull!! He'll do fine! YES, HE WILL. BUT THE CHEMISTRY OF CALVIN IS, ALAS, ALACK, WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL #23.

Well, why hold back, right? It's just the way they run things. Nobody here REALLY thinks that CD made those moves, do they? Those guys were hand-picked BY JVG...which has turned out to be a good thing!! NOBODY HERE REALLY THINKS CD MADE THE MOVES UNDER RUDY, DO THEY? THOSE GUYS WERE HAND-PICKED BY RUDY T…WHICH TURNED OUT NOT TO BE SUCH A GOOD THING.

Last season, Clutch and I had a private conversation that we didn't post regarding Stromile Swift. JVG said, and I quote, "I want him here. When can get him.' From what I gathered from my 'DEEP THROAT' (NO! It's not Hagedorn! JVG wanted him right then but he was unable to be traded so JVG obviously did NOT know what his status was but simply said 'get him.' So, are the Rockets going to get him? IF SO THEY’LL PROBABLY HAVE TO ‘SWALLOW’ J-WILL. WHAT IS THE FASCINATION? MARCUS II? LONG, SINEWY, ATHLETIC…FRAGILE?

DOC, YOU MAKE GOOD READING. COME AROUND MORE OFTEN. PLEASE, AND THANKS.

8. drpepper

drpepper Member

I liked watching the games with Murphy, but I have to say

Van was alot more entertaining(IMO) and really liked his insights, coming from a coaching POV.

I'll Miss You Van.

I got a feeling watching future games with Drexler is gonna be painful. Maybe more people will prefer to go to games and not have to listen to him. :D

9. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

SR610 is broadcasting online now. I am guessing that Rockets games should be streamed as well. Can somebody confirm or deny this? Thanks