1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My personal thread...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Anyone remember Clyde's speech when they retired his jersey?

Someone should keep a talley during the broadcasts - I loved him as a player, but every sentence of every interview I saw during the playoffs in 95 began with "I just think that..." or "For the most part..."

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

your like my kindergarten girlfrien doc, a tease :D

3. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

I haven't been called a Kindergarten girlfriend in years...thanks for trip down memory lane!! :D

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Doc,

The September moratorium, does that involve you, or someone in the organization (front office or coaching staff)?

EDIT: By the way, since JVG really wanted/wants Swift, how does he feel about Walker?

#64 Hottoddie, Jul 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  5. Nero

Nero Member

DR,

Have we told you lately how much we like you? :)

Anyway, this might very well be the beginning of the end for Les. It will probably take a long time, but, Les' days of being the golden boy owner of the Rockets, the guy who brought us our championships, the guy who was always more concerned with winning than with money, the guy who has always been held up as houston's 'best' sports owner.. the peak of that hill looks like it has been reached, and it's all going to be downhill from here.

We are grateful for all the attempts at greatness with the Rockets.

But he has underestimated the depth Houston feels for its own homegrown heroes.

Les Alexander is now on his way to becoming the next Bud Adams, and there is only one way he can stop it.

BRING CALVIN BACK!!!

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Aww, Doc, You gonna make us wait :( :( :( till September. You meanie!!!

J/k, thanks for the info about Stromile and just for your overall scheme of things. Its nice to have an inside source. Thanks again, I am sure I speak for everyone on the BBS.

7. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Great info Doc. Mucho appreciated.

That really sucks hearing about the shoddy way Murph was/is being treated.

But it is nice to hear that Van Gundy likes the fit of Swift here.

I always figured the personnel moves were pure JVG. I remember his 1st year here on the radio he was asked about what things he would like to have input into. He said that he didn't really follow the draft(evaluation-wise), and would leave that up to CD, but that he had definite ideas about the players around the league, and which ones could fit in here, and help, and that he most definately wanted input in that area.

Maybe he's branched out a bit by now, so if you would, was the Luther Head selection a JVG decision also?

Thanks.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Does it have anything to do with Hagedorn and JVG working late nights together? :eek:

< crickets chirping >

Tough crowd! No heckling, please!

9. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Murph was hilarious. Bring him back. :(

10. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

If the daughters lied to the police

...you must release !!!

[​IMG]

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Doc,

So what's your personal opinion of JVG? Many of him here wanted him fired at the beginning of last year, and then we're praising him to no end after the referee debacle. You know everything else behind the scenes besides what we see in the game and newspaper -- Do you feel he's a good coach for the Rockets? Can we go all the way with him?

12. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

Why do you say that?

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I was pretty sure that was the case. The dude obviously still wanted to coach. He took the Lakers job for Christ sake.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Does anyone have a pic of Tad's sister?

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm inclined to give the Drexler/Bullard combo a chance. I don't criticize Clyde for not doing road games, he is a Houstonian through and through, his traveling days are over.. he wants to be with his family. Bullard isn't much better than Clyde either, but I think that either one of them by themselves wouldn't be able to hold it down all year long, so a combo might be good for a trial run this year.

Indeed I expect two former Cougars in Bill and Clyde to sit and wax historically back on UH all day, but as a UH student I welcome that. :D

Letting 'Hag go was a huge mistake, that guy was great.. maybe it was just in comparison to how crappy Cooper was, but man, he really did carry the halftime show.

Clyde will get off to an awkward start, but give him a chance to get comfortable behind the camera first. He and Bill are good friends and this might make for some interesting color during the games.

16. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Wow. Doc rules.

17. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

lol Uh Nero.. I think you're getting just a tad toooo dramatic there buddy. Granted, Les made a boneheaded move by letting Hagedorn go. But, I'm more ticked that Van Chancellor is not going to do the broadcasts than Calvin Murphy. I love Calvin, but Bill and Calvin talking about freebies and cookies were starting to wear thin. Van is a great basketball mind, and I found him infinitely more entertaining. I do wish that Calvin would come back to a certain degree, but not before Van Chancellor. To label Les a bad owner ala Bud Adams just because Calvin Murphy isn't brought back, thats just asynine. Les has a right to protect his product, and if he feels the unwanted publicity of an alleged rape conviction would bring undue publicity to the Rockets, then he has a right to take care of it to keep the focus on his basketball team. Hagedorn being gone is a travesty. He straight up carried Cooper's coattails last year. His interviews were always professional with pertinent questions we as fans wanted to know.

18. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I like Bull. I liked Murphy and wish he were back, but if it aint so then why can't Bull do all the shows. I listened before and after his tryout on ESPN and he is infinitely better now. They taught him alot there.

19. amed

amed Contributing Member

Stop crying, just put the TV on mute and listen to Gene on 610am. Hell, thats what I've been doing since Murph was gone.

20. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

that doesn't work with satellite (there is a one second delay)